Silverstone SX700-LPT 700W Platinum SFX-L

Surprising to hear Amazon would ship any PSU this way. Please do keep us updated on this!

Hi, I've attached photo of how the box came to me. Do you have any idea what might have happened for the pop to occur?

Attachments

• Photo Aug 18, 23 01 31.jpg
    Photo Aug 18, 23 01 31.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 219
Hi, I've attached photo of how the box came to me. Do you have any idea what might have happened for the pop to occur?
That is pretty ridiculous. Amazon can have pretty sub-standard packaging. I would always be really nervous whenever I ordered a hard drive from Amazon. It is a good thing their return warranty is great though.

For those interested in the sx700-lpt ... the sx700's fan curve is almost entirely load based and not temperature based, the fan doesn't ramp up enough on even if the temperature rises. ... power failure almost every time after 1h-1h30 of gaming. ... the smart move might be to go with another PSU. ...

Sorry for replying a month after the fact, but I just wanted to post about a very similar experience using the SX700-LPT in a Silverstone ML08 case. Game for an hour or so, and then power failure restarts. Normally exchanging something isn't a big deal, but for me it meant the portable system I built specifically to bring for a week long stay in a hospital was only useful for streaming and web browsing. It left a pretty sour taste in my mouth toward Silverstone after dropping over $300 on their products (PSU, Case, AR06 CPU Heatsink) for this build. I got a the SF600 instead and haven't had a problem since.

Hi guys, I want to let you know that updated SX700-LPT are now available in the retail channels worldwide (they were actually already available a couple of weeks ago but we wanted to wait until nearly all older stock were sold through before making this public). This was a running change that we implemented while production was still ongoing at the end of last month. We've also reworked some of the inventory that was waiting to be shipped out from the factory so there is no version change with the updated unit. To differentiate updated SX700-LPTs, you have to check the serial number. Numbers starting with 1621 or earlier are the original ones while numbers starting with 1624 and after are updated units.

Turned out we underestimated the number of users with mid-range Mini-ITX systems (drawing around 150W on typical load) that would buy our SX700-LPT. Whereas the original cutoff point was 150W as the minimum target for always fan off (due to analog nature of PSU, the trigger point isn’t exact), the updated units will have more relaxed tolerance and will start the fan by around 5% ~ 10% earlier than before (while technically having the same spec. for 150W trigger point).

For current owners of SX700-LPT that are experiencing unexpected shut downs, we encourage you to contact the closest SilverStone office for information on how to exchange for an updated PSU via the link below:
SilverStone Technology Co., Ltd.

For owners that are not experiencing shut downs, you are still welcomed to exchange for the updated PSU if you wish. However, please keep in mind that the updated unit may start up its fan sooner or more frequently than what you have now depending on system and temperature conditions.

Hi guys, I want to let you know that updated SX700-LPT are now available in the retail channels worldwide (they were actually already available a couple of weeks ago but we wanted to wait until nearly all older stock were sold through before making this public). This was a running change that we implemented while production was still ongoing at the end of last month. We've also reworked some of the inventory that was waiting to be shipped out from the factory so there is no version change with the updated unit. To differentiate updated SX700-LPTs, you have to check the serial number. Numbers starting with 1621 or earlier are the original ones while numbers starting with 1624 and after are updated units.

Turned out we underestimated the number of users with mid-range Mini-ITX systems (drawing around 150W on typical load) that would buy our SX700-LPT. Whereas the original cutoff point was 150W as the minimum target for always fan off (due to analog nature of PSU, the trigger point isn’t exact), the updated units will have more relaxed tolerance and will start the fan by around 5% ~ 10% earlier than before (while technically having the same spec. for 150W trigger point).

For current owners of SX700-LPT that are experiencing unexpected shut downs, we encourage you to contact the closest SilverStone office for information on how to exchange for an updated PSU via the link below:

For owners that are not experiencing shut downs, you are still welcomed to exchange for the updated PSU if you wish. However, please keep in mind that the updated unit may start up its fan sooner or more frequently than what you have now depending on system and temperature conditions.

Is there a way to make a RMA exchange with a prepaid shipping label from France ? Or is there a way to make sure the version we're buying is the new revision ?

Because my reseller (amazon.fr) exchanged one for me but the new one was also one of the defective ones (serial number 1617). And the European RMA center being in Germany, I need to pay a 40€ shipping cost, which is a bit stiff for a defective product under warranty.....

Is there a way to make a RMA exchange with a prepaid shipping label from France ? Or is there a way to make sure the version we're buying is the new revision ?

Because my reseller (amazon.fr) exchanged one for me but the new one was also one of the defective ones (serial number 1617). And the European RMA center being in Germany, I need to pay a 40€ shipping cost, which is a bit stiff for a defective product under warranty.....

You may contact our German office directly to see if they can help you make a better arrangement with Amazon.fr:

[email protected]

Hi,
Does my unit has the latest revision?
The number to check is 1633 here right?

7JarXX3.jpg

Last edited:
I'm considering getting the SX700, but am concerned about the larger size. I have the SX600g right now, but I'm getting some random shutdowns with the bios telling me its seeing surges in the PS.

I'm running a full length GPU in my NCASE M1 right now. Is there a consensus on this PS, or should I just play it safe and get another SX600g?

It's a tight fit but it still fit, even with a long graphic card with a backplate.

Tony, I saw you recently put out a "V3.0" for the SFX 450W bronze PSU that has been upgraded with a 92mm fan. Are there plans to do the same updates to the SFX 450W modular gold PSU?

Tony, I saw you recently put out a "V3.0" for the SFX 450W bronze PSU that has been upgraded with a 92mm fan. Are there plans to do the same updates to the SFX 450W modular gold PSU?

In some ways yes, the upcoming (delayed now to Q1 2017) SX500-G and SX650-G we've shown in prototype form earlier this year will have 92mm fans. We think these two 80 PLUS Gold modular SFX PSUs may eventually take the places of current ST45SF-G and SX600-G in our lineup. But in the near term we will continue to offer the older models for sale.

So the psus fan is only controlled by the wats used? Does lowering the threshold really fix power cycling issue? Doesn't it still power cycle when power usage goes down but the case is still hot. I have rvz02 case and the silverstone 500w sfx-l works perfectly fine with this case. I am getting the newer version of your psu in about 2 weeks, but I am in fear that this problem still persists.

You are use both temp and power usage controlled fan in the new 800w sfx-l psu correct? Why not use it in the 700w version also?

So the psus fan is only controlled by the wats used? Does lowering the threshold really fix power cycling issue? Doesn't it still power cycle when power usage goes down but the case is still hot. I have rvz02 case and the silverstone 500w sfx-l works perfectly fine with this case. I am getting the newer version of your psu in about 2 weeks, but I am in fear that this problem still persists.

You are use both temp and power usage controlled fan in the new 800w sfx-l psu correct? Why not use it in the 700w version also?

So far we have not had any reports of premature shutdowns after the update. Our own testings have also shown the solution to be effective. The fan in the SX700-LPT is also temp controlled, but only after it starts spinning. A PSU's internal controller isn't something you can add and replace like a graphics card in a PC unfortunately. It usually requires some redesigning and re-certifications of an entire PSU so we won't be able to do that anytime soon even if we wanted to.

Reactions: JJJ
like this
Back