Silverstone SX700-LPT 700W Platinum SFX-L

Sorry I forgot to elaborate again that SX700-LPT will also have temperature safety mechanism so that the fan will continue to spin even if the load drops below 20% while PSU internal is above a certain temperature. I guess in some ways, this combination of load based control plus temp sensing will make SX700-LPT a "semi-hysteresis" PSU?
If that 'certain temperature' is just above the steady-state temperature of the semi-fanless mode load (presumably 20% load), then that's pretty close to the optimum behaviour for PSU cooling, leaving just a narrow temperature/load band where on/off switching could occur. Good job!

Full fan on voltage at startup! yay! The hardest thing with fan controls is unless you go all out with a micro controller with a sufficiently well designed program, its not easy to achieve adequate fan control without the shortfalls of the more basic temp-> voltage linear control.

Thanks for getting this into place, and I look forward to seeing/hearing the results.

Sorry I forgot to elaborate again that SX700-LPT will also have temperature safety mechanism so that the fan will continue to spin even if the load drops below 20% while PSU internal is above a certain temperature. I guess in some ways, this combination of load based control plus temp sensing will make SX700-LPT a "semi-hysteresis" PSU?
I'd call that a smart fanless PSU if it works correctly ;)

Any updates on this power supply? This is exactly what I need for my fully custom loop SG13 system since I'm running an overclocked 980 Ti and overclocked 5820k. Really hoping they fixed all the problems they had with the 600watt power supplies, the reviews aren't pretty lol.

thewird

Normally the Silverstone products have had a lead time from launch (page on website) to being able to buy it in Europe or US of months, sometimes as long as half a year. It hasn't been formally announced yet so we'll have to wait some more.

Just to bump this up - any news?

Any news on the 650 that was displayed at CES?

The Corsair unit's coming out soon... ;)

Lack of any word or announcements make me feel like that Q1 target meant Q1 2017.

I can't wait that long.

Lack of any word or announcements make me feel like that Q1 target meant Q1 2017.

I can't wait that long.

Current schedule points to end of March ship date so European availability is probably in April/May time frame. Quite a bit of delay on this so sorry to those of you waiting for it. SFX stuff is harder to design and manufacturer than people realize, just ask our competitors!
Silverstone SX500-LG 500W Gold SFX-L

I personally don't mind the wait, the Kimera Cerberus is going to be shipping around July so plenty of time for reviews and experiences of this PSU by then.

I personally don't mind the wait, the Kimera Cerberus is going to be shipping around July so plenty of time for reviews and experiences of this PSU by then.
18L? That's bigger than many Japanese apartments. Why go SFX and then get such a hambeast case? Go ITX or go home, brah! :p

Because an Ncase M1 doesn't fit two aircooled R9-290X cards :p
And a 500W PSU doesn't fit those cards either.

Because an Ncase M1 doesn't fit two aircooled R9-290X cards :p
And a 500W PSU doesn't fit those cards either.
700 watt SFX for TWO 290x's? That seems inadequate to me. If you already own the two 290x's, especially since most aren't blower designs, because of heat and power issues, I would seriously go with a standard more powerful 160mm higher power PSU in a larger case.

If you don't already have the GPUs, I'd get this PSU but go with a ITX mobo and a single GPU like a Fury X. Its nice and tiny, and with the 120mm exhaust you don't have to worry about heating up other components in a small chassis and should be able to go with something really small if its for a HTPC.

700 watt SFX for TWO 290x's? That seems inadequate to me.
It is adequate:

59320.png

That's power from the wall (so ~10% over internal use) and that's with a i7-4960X. Considering the SX700-LPT will probably be able to handle even more load (the 12V rail supplies 700W alone), this won't be a problem.

If you don't already have the GPUs, I'd get this PSU but go with a ITX mobo and a single GPU like a Fury X. Its nice and tiny, and with the 120mm exhaust you don't have to worry about heating up other components in a small chassis and should be able to go with something really small if its for a HTPC.
If you look at my signature, I already have an mITX motherboard with an SFX-L PSU :) I'm getting the Kimera Cerberus anyway, but while the GPU thing isn't set in stone, this is a likely scenario for me.
I much rather pay 400€ for a second GPU and PSU than 650€ for just a single GPU. Single card vs Crossfire is a plus ofcourse, but VR might be able to fix this hopefully. Unless Polaris releases mid 2016 and proves to be a homerun.

It is adequate:

That's power from the wall (so ~10% over internal use) and that's with a i7-4960X. Considering the SX700-LPT will probably be able to handle even more load (the 12V rail supplies 700W alone), this won't be a problem.
I don't know man, I think that PSU is going to be working pretty hard. Look at what AMD recommends for the 295x2 for power supplies, which is really just two 290x's: http://www.amd.com/Documents/Select...for-the-AMD-Radeon-R9-295X2-Graphics-Card.pdf

Guru3D recommends a minimum 850watt PSU: AMD Radeon R9-295x2 Review

And here too, the 290x in crossfire they recommend the minimum be a 1000 watt PSU: PSU REQUIREMENTS - RealHardTechX

And don't forget about the heat of two 290x's. Blower style are recommended for small cases, and I don't think the 290x was ever produced with a halfway decent blower. The good ones are like mine which are Tri-X coolers with 12" long heatsinks and triple fans, but the problem with those is they dump the heat around them... not a problem if you have direct airflow from outside the case and enough exhaust airflow to clear it, but with two right next to each other in a confined space, I don't think you can pull that off and will run hot. Running overnight on Heaven benchmark, my HTPC in sig below gets pretty toasty with just one 290x, which is also running a 850 watt PSU for better safety margin.

Those PSU recommendations are always a overly "safe" advice, to not be liable when used with bad quality PSUs or when used out-of-spec.
The Silverstone SFX PSUs have been underrated (literally) and can handle quite the load. My 450W managed my current build just fine until I limited its airflow by using a much slower fan and a very restrictive fan filter. And even then it still only had instability a few times in dozens of hours of full load. When I removed the filter, it was 100% stable. Good PSUs like Silverstone's better ones are also specced to work at 40°C ambient at their rated output.

The 290X I have gets about 60-65°C with the fans fairly quiet. Adequate heatsink with good fans and preventing the heat getting inside the case is important. I'm not going to use a reference or retail cooler, it's probably going to be custom.

Those PSU recommendations are always a overly "safe" advice, to not be liable when used with bad quality PSUs or when used out-of-spec.
The Silverstone SFX PSUs have been underrated (literally) and can handle quite the load. My 450W managed my current build just fine until I limited its airflow by using a much slower fan and a very restrictive fan filter. And even then it still only had instability a few times in dozens of hours of full load. When I removed the filter, it was 100% stable. Good PSUs like Silverstone's better ones are also specced to work at 40°C ambient at their rated output.

The 290X I have gets about 60-65°C with the fans fairly quiet. Adequate heatsink with good fans and preventing the heat getting inside the case is important. I'm not going to use a reference or retail cooler, it's probably going to be custom.

Honestly, most power stuff today is good if you get a high 80-Plus rating. Considering that my Sapphire Tri-X Fury (minimum 750W) is living comfortably in my NCase, I'm sure that unless you're using these PSUs in ATX builds, you'll be fine.

Honestly, most power stuff today is good if you get a high 80-Plus rating. Considering that my Sapphire Tri-X Fury (minimum 750W) is living comfortably in my NCase, I'm sure that unless you're using these PSUs in ATX builds, you'll be fine.
Well the reason for the safety margin, as I understand it, is that an undersized PSU will run hotter than it should which will cause the fan to run at high speeds and be quite noisy, efficiency will drop, longevity of the unit as well as the GPUs (voltage regulators working overtime) are compromised, system stability goes out the window, and eventually it could literally pop and release smoke and possibly take your motherboard out with it.

At least this has a 120mm fan on it, so that should be able to move a decent amount of air, but I'd still ping the manufacturer and see what they think about two 290x's.

Well the reason for the safety margin, as I understand it, is that an undersized PSU will run hotter than it should which will cause the fan to run at high speeds and be quite noisy, efficiency will drop, longevity of the unit as well as the GPUs (voltage regulators working overtime) are compromised, system stability goes out the window, and eventually it could literally pop and release smoke and possibly take your motherboard out with it.

At least this has a 120mm fan on it, so that should be able to move a decent amount of air, but I'd still ping the manufacturer and see what they think about two 290x's.

I think I said that with the fact that mITX builds with 2 PCIe slots are a rarity, so he would be going mATX or ATX, at which point the case he'd have would be more than adequate to fit an ATX PSU.

I'm getting a Kimera Cerberus which is geared towards SFX PSUs, even though ATX is supported. But the GPU part isn't set in stone for me, that will be decided by Polaris and Pascal. I could also underclock the 290X's, I've read these can undervolt drastically with a minor decrease in clockspeed. But a 290X for 200-240€ (excluding cooling) is just too much of a bargain to pass up.

"Working overtime"? A modern 700W PSU from a quality manufacturer can really do 700W. A platinum PSU is also platinum at 100% load (that's actually part of the 80Plus certification test).

I think the fear comes from previous generation power supplies which (due to original ATX specifications) were often woefully underpowered on the 12V rail versus the 5V and 3.3V rails. So common forum wisdom decreed that if you needed 700W at peak load you better buy (+50%) a 1050W unit just in case. However, modern switching PSUs are all primarily 12V transformers, so you don't need that overhead anymore.

"Working overtime"? A modern 700W PSU from a quality manufacturer can really do 700W. A platinum PSU is also platinum at 100% load (that's actually part of the 80Plus certification test).

I think the fear comes from previous generation power supplies which (due to original ATX specifications) were often woefully underpowered on the 12V rail versus the 5V and 3.3V rails. So common forum wisdom decreed that if you needed 700W at peak load you better buy (+50%) a 1050W unit just in case. However, modern switching PSUs are all primarily 12V transformers, so you don't need that overhead anymore.

The platinum efficiency rating follows a curve, the supplies will be most efficient at 50%, they will drop as they approach 100%.

So ideally you want the PSU for most of the time as close to the 50% mark as possible to be as efficient as possible, running cooler will allow the unit to have the maximum possible life span.

The platinum efficiency rating follows a curve, the supplies will be most efficient at 50%, they will drop as they approach 100%.

So ideally you want the PSU for most of the time as close to the 50% mark as possible to be as efficient as possible, running cooler will allow the unit to have the maximum possible life span.
Thanks, but do we have a curve published for this PSU yet?

On the plus side, if this is for a HTPC/gaming rig, and most of the time you're just browsing the web and watching movies, then the system will be idling most of the time rather than floored. How extreme the efficiency/heat dropoff is would be the decision maker on whether this is sufficient for such a high power draw rig with two 290x's.

But you forget to take into account how much it really matters.

Let's take another high-end Silverstone PSU that's only 80+Gold, the SX600-G:

sx600-g-01.jpg

WOW look at that curve ! Oh wait it's actually not to scale, so let's do that:

GrpHGt9.png

That's more like it ! Now let's compress it down to the same height the original image was:

l2t81d8.png

So yeah, we're talking about a difference in efficiency when put into a graph you can't tell if it's a straight line or a curve.
And that is a 80+Gold PSU, not a 80+Platinum PSU. It's lack of common sense like this that makes the marketing department more important than the engineering department.

It's more important especially in higher power and more compact systems where the psu putting out another 10w could make the system run hotter as a whole.

That 10w can also be the difference between the fan having to spin or not on the PSU for the quiet nuts out there.

For me I need more than 500w and my box gets hot enough that it's all going to add together, especially when I put a dual GPU card inside it.

The development of novel ideas takes time. When you announce a 'product' it sends a certain message.

10 months later=no product, sends a different message.

Its a PSU, not rocket science.

I probably sound like the child on the back seat of the car saying 'are we nearly there yet?', but seriously: WTF? I don't care about teasers at CES, or engineering mock-ups at some other engineering show.
At least provide an update on the development progress so that consumers may understand the issues wrought on your engineers.

It is adequate:

59320.png

If you look at my signature, I already have an mITX motherboard with an SFX-L PSU :) I'm getting the Kimera Cerberus anyway, but while the GPU thing isn't set in stone, this is a likely scenario for me.
I much rather pay 400€ for a second GPU and PSU than 650€ for just a single GPU. Single card vs Crossfire is a plus ofcourse, but VR might be able to fix this hopefully. Unless Polaris releases mid 2016 and proves to be a homerun.

Not to be picky... but you should take into consideration that such review used the standard 290X with shitty-ass blower cooler... that throttled the cards because it couldn't cope with heat. So it is probable that the system uses even more power than those 727 W. In any case, I would not install a psu that I know will run at no less than 80% load in "normal" usage.

The development of novel ideas takes time. When you announce a 'product' it sends a certain message.

10 months later=no product, sends a different message.

Its a PSU, not rocket science.

I probably sound like the child on the back seat of the car saying 'are we nearly there yet?', but seriously: WTF? I don't care about teasers at CES, or engineering mock-ups at some other engineering show.
At least provide an update on the development progress so that consumers may understand the issues wrought on your engineers.

Yep.

Shame too, as they will have lost a lot of their potential customers to the Corsair SFX600 now...

Considering how much we nit-pick about the noise of the SX600-G and SX500-LG, they're probably taking their time to make sure it's solid, at least that's my hope.

I talked to Tony a few days ago and the SX700-LPT production was pushed back a few weeks due to a part delay. I'm not sure how long it will take until we see units in stock at retailers though.

Considering how much we nit-pick about the noise of the SX600-G and SX500-LG, they're probably taking their time to make sure it's solid, at least that's my hope.

I talked to Tony a few days ago and the SX700-LPT production was pushed back a few weeks due to a part delay. I'm not sure how long it will take until we see units in stock at retailers though.

I expect to wait a few weeks for the ship to deliver the goods to Europe and ROW, just frustrated with the lack of info and the continued slip of dates. Well I'm sure they will be damn good when they are released (here's hoping).

I can't find the other thread, but is there any word on the release of the new SFX 500W (SX500-G) and SFX 650W (SX650-G)?

This what happens when you get caught napping on product releases, people (corsair etc) come and take your lunch ;)

there is a silverstone expo tomorrow, they are going to reveal more info about the 700W and the 650W PSUs, and other products also... But we only care about the 700W PSU right? :)

Back