Silverstone SX700-LPT 700W Platinum SFX-L

Phuncz

2[H]4U
So this happened:

110a.jpg

SilverStone is flexing its engineering muscle, to woo the compact gaming PC community that the SFX-L form-factor of power supplies have arrived, and ready for multi-GPU. SFX-L is slightly bigger than SFX but significantly smaller than ATX. The company is ready with a 700-Watt PSU in the SFX-L form-factor. Part of the company's new SFX-L G series, the lineup will be lead by the 700W SX700L-G, followed by a 600W model, the SX600L-G. The company pioneered this form-factor with the 500W SX500L-G, earlier this January. The new PSUs will likely have enough juice and straws for gaming PC builds with up to two graphics cards. The two will boast of 80 Plus Platinum efficiency ratings. The company is expected to show them off at Computex 2015, this June.

Source: TechPowerUp

I'm hoping this either doesn't have semi-fanless or a really properly NASA-engineered version. Nicely timed with the mATX case from Kimera Industries :D

Nice. Tony did make it kinda obvious there will be something coming after the SX500-L but I didn't expect it this soon.

I didn't realize there is a market for a 700 watt SFX-L PSU.

So this happened:

*pic*

SilverStone is flexing its engineering muscle, to woo the compact gaming PC community that the SFX-L form-factor of power supplies have arrived, and ready for multi-GPU. SFX-L is slightly bigger than SFX but significantly smaller than ATX. The company is ready with a 700-Watt PSU in the SFX-L form-factor. Part of the company's new SFX-L G series, the lineup will be lead by the 700W SX700L-G, followed by a 600W model, the SX600L-G. The company pioneered this form-factor with the 500W SX500L-G, earlier this January. The new PSUs will likely have enough juice and straws for gaming PC builds with up to two graphics cards. The two will boast of 80 Plus Platinum efficiency ratings. The company is expected to show them off at Computex 2015, this June.

Source: TechPowerUp

I'm hoping this either doesn't have semi-fanless or a really properly NASA-engineered version. Nicely timed with the mATX case from Kimera Industries :D

So this is the one w360 talked about..

Looks nice, let's just hope silverstone doesn't fail again..

Tony, when can we have one?

Showing off at Computex is one thing, availability another. I guess some time after the summer, at best.

So this is the one w360 talked about..

Looks nice, let's just hope silverstone doesn't fail again..

Tony, when can we have one?

I don't know if this is the one Wahaha360 was talking about, the "talk" was about a new SFX PSU made by Dirac, this seems to be an SFX-L Sirfa unit.

I don't know if this is the one Wahaha360 was talking about, the "talk" was about a new SFX PSU made by Dirac, this seems to be an SFX-L Sirfa unit.

Dirac is a distributor not an PSU manufacturer. More than likely the Dirac unit is based on this same Sirfa design.

My wish did come true!!! LOL!!! THIS IS AWESOME!!!! I was hoping something like this would be release before the Nova.....ahhhhh mannnn I'm getting excited!!

Hurry up and get those cases rolling!! @Aibohphobia

The TechPowerUp article does seem to suffer from some copypasta - the image says SX700-LPT but the text reads SX_00L-G, which doesn't match. If they do indeed score a platinum rating, it may suggest they have used higher quality capacitors, etc., to achieve this.

No mention of the "semi-fanless" mode yet, but given its inclusion in the SX600-G and SX500-LG, I would say it's likely to return in these models.

While I'm excited at the SFX(L) models, and higher outputs, I'm cautiously optimistic that there will be improvements to the fan (noise).

This looks like 130mm, and w360 said that, there's probably no need to make changes for a ncase v4 (depending on the psu).
Obviously the length is a problem, either silverstone will sell angled connectors or w360 was talking about another unit.
But then again none of the other manufactures seems to be interested in sfx and w360 could be talking about other changes.

I'm hoping this either doesn't have semi-fanless or a really properly NASA-engineered version.

Semi-fanless is a huge selling point for most people so I doubt they'll remove it. Even most members of this forum wanted it if you look back a couple years; I find it funny that we've gone from "if only the ST45SF-G was semi-fanless" to "please remove semi-fanless" :p

Really I just hope they took the feedback from the SX500-LG thread seriously and get to the bottom of the ticking noise - then everyone can be happy.

Really I just hope they took the feedback from the SX500-LG thread seriously and get to the bottom of the ticking noise - then everyone can be happy.

Same root cause as the noise complaints in the 450w, 600w SFX models: cheap fans :D

I wonder if this would be enough to power a 395x2.

This might just change my build for this year.

I will give them all my money to own one of these.

I imagine that if it was running at 60% or less load the fan wouldn't even be needed.
Or at least, that's what I'm hoping for..

I imagine that if it was running at 60% or less load the fan wouldn't even be needed.
Or at least, that's what I'm hoping for..

The 300W SilverStone SFX is fanless to ~40% load. My napkin math puts the waste heat at that load at ~20W.

The SX700-LPT at 50% load should be generating about 30W of waste heat. It's a bigger unit but the 300W casing is pretty empty while this will certainly be packed full so I'd say the 700W will probably be fanless to about 35% load.

You could do quite a bit with 245W though.

The 300W SilverStone SFX is fanless to ~40% load. My napkin math puts the waste heat at that load at ~20W.

The SX700-LPT at 50% load should be generating about 30W of waste heat. It's a bigger unit but the 300W casing is pretty empty while this will certainly be packed full so I'd say the 700W will probably be fanless to about 35% load.

You could do quite a bit with 245W though.

I'm pretty sure my current rig is under 245W full tilt, Maybe I'll have to test your math once this PSU is available. :)

3570K/ 750ti

Tom's has more details on this - and has confirmed that SilverStone released this info, so we know for certain that it's legit now:

Tom's Hardware said:
Today, SilverStone sent us some juicy details about a new SFX-L format PSU: the SX700-LPT. The SX in the name indicates that it is part of the SFX series, the 700 is for its wattage, the L for the longer SFX format, and PT for Platinum. Yes, you read that right; this is an SFX-L PSU that can push up to 700 W and packs an 80-Plus Platinum efficiency certificate.

It comes with one 24-pin ATX connector, one 8-pin EPS connector, three or four lines for SATA or Molex connectors (the total will be decided by how many connectors are on each cable, which is typically three), and most impressive of all, the image reveals not one, but two PCI-Express power headers (see the blue connectors). To each one of these PCI-Express power headers you'll be able to attach a cable that ends in two 8-pin PCI-Express power connectors, meaning that technically, if you really wanted to, you could drive two graphics cards from this little puppy.

At press time, SilverStone hasn't yet revealed info on pricing or availability. And all of the exact juicy tech specs are still to come.

It has the exact cabling you need to power two GPUs, which is great to hear - using adapters with the 500/600W units they have is clearly a bit of a pain (let alone quite messy).

Excellent. I suspect the semi-fanless feature remains, but addressed either with an improved fan or through higher wattage/efficiencies changing the threshold for activation. We'll have to see if that ends up being the case.

I'm sure Tony is tired of hearing us whine about the 500W and 600W so hopefully this has a fancy fan controller.

Also, Noctua as a slim 120mm fan in development. They're usually a year from announcement to release and they announced it at last year's Computex.

What was the "talk" about a Dirac SFX? Only saw where W360 mentioned an upcoming PSU.

As much as I like the idea of SFX-L, I'd much rather see them focus on producing an ideal realization of SFX in 500 or 600W first and foremost (highest quality fan, fan controller, lowest noise possible), since there are currently 6 years worth of cases built around that spec. Guess it would've been nice if SFX-L came before SFX, instead of the other way around.

As much as I like the idea of SFX-L, I'd much rather see them focus on producing an ideal realization of SFX in 500 or 600W first and foremost (highest quality fan, fan controller, lowest noise possible), since there are currently 6 years worth of cases built around that spec.

This 700W has probably been in development before either the 500W or 600W were released.

I find it funny that we've gone from "if only the ST45SF-G was semi-fanless" to "please remove semi-fanless" :p

Semi-fanless is still the best, when implemented properly with a real fan controller, not a cheap crappy passive solution.

700W Platinum in SFX-L format is amazing, but personally I'll remain skeptical until the fan controller and any fan-related noises are evaluated on production units.

Semi-fanless is still the best, when implemented properly with a real fan controller, not a cheap crappy passive solution.

700W Platinum in SFX-L format is amazing, but personally I'll remain skeptical until the fan controller and any fan-related noises are evaluated on production units.

Fan on all the time? Not a problem if you have a higher quality fan.

Fan turning on/off via semi-fanless? Not a problem if you have a good controller, and/or a higher quality fan.

I think the lowest common denominator has always been: please get a better fan in there. Run it all the time, some of the time, or figure out a better fan controller. But please, no more Deltas that were picked on CFM spec and price.

I think the lowest common denominator has always been: please get a better fan in there. Run it all the time, some of the time, or figure out a better fan controller. But please, no more Deltas that were picked on CFM spec and price.

The simple controller is what's limiting fan choice. They have to use a fan that has a low starting voltage but will stop if it drops much below that voltage and then has a suitable RPM curve working off that.

Tony said they tested their own fans but once started it was hard to get it to stop. Which some people here would prefer but marketing is important and most people want semi-fanless functionality.

What was the "talk" about a Dirac SFX? Only saw where W360 mentioned an upcoming PSU.
It was on SFF forum.

Really excited for this PSU, this basically unlocks dual-GPU decked-out mATX builds without the need for an ATX PSU. Finally mATX can slim down some !

Semi-fanless is a huge selling point for most people so I doubt they'll remove it. Even most members of this forum wanted it if you look back a couple years; I find it funny that we've gone from "if only the ST45SF-G was semi-fanless" to "please remove semi-fanless" :p

You said it yourself - the ticking noise. The issue isnt with semi fanless, it's the fact there is a ticking (or any sound) that should not be there AT ALL when switching the fan on and off. This happened with the 600W as well afaik.

Semi fanless is always better but odd noises due the feature defeats itself. For some people with higher tolerances it's ok, or the PC is far away enough etc but for those who are designing cases around a PSU form factor and/or have the PC close enough to hear it - it's unacceptable.

I'm actually surprised that people want this more than a 300W/450W fanless 80+ Platinum SFX/L PSU.
700W would only be needed for dual gpus or sli/crossfirex and not many sff cases support that.
Hope Silverstone has more announcements at computex

I'm actually surprised that people want this more than a 300W/450W fanless 80+ Platinum SFX/L PSU.
700W would only be needed for dual gpus or sli/crossfirex and not many sff cases support that.
300-450 fanless platinum is probably harder to make and justifying the high cost

Well if your system draws only 250W, having a semi-fanless 700W PSU may in reality mean that you actually have a completely silent passive PSU, so there's quite a bit of reason to be excited.

Guess they're targeting the SLI/Crossfire crowd. Let's see if they spent an extra few dollars on decent fans this time.

Fan on all the time? Not a problem if you have a higher quality fan.

It's still a problem: unnecessary dust build up, especially since many systems run at low loads most of the time, where the fan wouldn't need to spin.

A quality fan controller with a good fan curve running in a "normal" voltage range (e.g. between 6 and 12V or something like it) would be the best, since it would maximize the number of replacement fan candidates (should the stock fan turn out to stink, which is often the case).

It's still a problem: unnecessary dust build up, especially since many systems run at low loads most of the time, where the fan wouldn't need to spin.

A quality fan controller with a good fan curve running in a "normal" voltage range (e.g. between 6 and 12V or something like it) would be the best, since it would maximize the number of replacement fan candidates (should the stock fan turn out to stink, which is often the case).

Well I was grossly oversimplifying the issue now wasn't I? :D

Sure, dust build-up is a valid concern, and everything is a trade-off, that's for sure. Better fans may require better voltage, which could be alleviated by a better controller, and so on - there's room for improvement, and I would hope we could get the product managers to understand that a simple "semi-fanless" mode may not be so simple after all.

Well, other manufacturers with semi-passive power supplies sometimes offer a selector switch.

Perhaps that could be the compromise? (Makes it a lot easier to replace the fan as well, if you know you can run a lower RPM at full tilt from original supply.)

http://www.kitguru.net/components/p...0w-sfx-psu-with-80-plus-platinum-certificate/

I was wondering why they were doing 700W already. So my plan should be good to go :p
Go ninja go ninja go ! That's the way to drive progress !

That's exactly the hole in the market that could drive a whole slew of new efficient mATX cases, a dual-GPU capable SFX PSU.

Last edited:
Back