Silverstone SX500-LG 500W Gold SFX-L

Indeed, I have also found Silverstone to be very helpful for spare parts. Use the contact form on their website and select "sales" and your local continent/region. Don't mention that you didn't purchase the PP05E but instead just say you lost those two sata cables from your PP05E.

Indeed, I have also found Silverstone to be very helpful for spare parts. Use the contact form on their website and select "sales" and your local continent/region. Don't mention that you didn't purchase the PP05E but instead just say you lost those two sata cables from your PP05E.

I tried asking there and they kept insisting that you can only get the full set and not a single individual cable.

I wonder if Tony Ou could help me out.

You might have better luck starting a WTB thread or you could always make your own if you have the tools

I tried asking there and they kept insisting that you can only get the full set and not a single individual cable.

I wonder if Tony Ou could help me out.

I could make one for you if you'd like. I make all my cables for my systems, my OCD keeps me from ever using the stock cables lol

Hi, I think I blew my power supply. I have the SX600-G SFX PSU

I have it installed into falcon northwest tiki, that I originally bought with Asus Rampage Impact motherboard (Z97), 16gb of RAM, [email protected] and GTX 780ti.

I recently upgraded to X99 (Asrock mini itx), 5820k (stable at 4.5Ghz/1.275V), 16GB DDR4, and Titan X.

Ran Aida 64 (CPU,FPU,Cache,Memory), stable for 12 hours, Prime95 stable for 8 hours, Heaven stable 24 hours at +220Mhz GPU/+400Mhz GPUmemory.

Then I idiotically tried running Heaven (GPU overclocked as above) AND prime95 in parallel. Came back 10 minutes later and system was dead, and not switching on.

Have now replaced the motherboard, and still no joy (computer still not switching on), however with the new motherboard installed, I ran the motherboard of an external power supply (AX1200i), and everything turned on.

So I guess the problem is the power supply right?

Any thoughts/suggestions/help/similar experiences would be much appreciated. FYI I did the upgrade myself (did not send the system into falcon northwest)

Hi, I think I blew my power supply. I have the SX600-G SFX PSU

I have it installed into falcon northwest tiki, that I originally bought with Asus Rampage Impact motherboard (Z97), 16gb of RAM, [email protected] and GTX 780ti.

I recently upgraded to X99 (Asrock mini itx), 5820k (stable at 4.5Ghz/1.275V), 16GB DDR4, and Titan X.

Ran Aida 64 (CPU,FPU,Cache,Memory), stable for 12 hours, Prime95 stable for 8 hours, Heaven stable 24 hours at +220Mhz GPU/+400Mhz GPUmemory.

Then I idiotically tried running Heaven (GPU overclocked as above) AND prime95 in parallel. Came back 10 minutes later and system was dead, and not switching on.

Have now replaced the motherboard, and still no joy (computer still not switching on), however with the new motherboard installed, I ran the motherboard of an external power supply (AX1200i), and everything turned on.

So I guess the problem is the power supply right?

Any thoughts/suggestions/help/similar experiences would be much appreciated. FYI I did the upgrade myself (did not send the system into falcon northwest)

You might have pushed the SX600-G too much. Anyway to test it on another system?
power2.png

You might have pushed the SX600-G too much. Anyway to test it on another system?
power2.png

Thanks, I ordered a replacement power supply in any case, so will try installing the new one to see if the issue is resolved

More importantly, I hope I haven't blown the processor.

If I remember correctly, once I found and stress tested the overclock with the stable voltage for 4.5ghz, I switched to adaptive voltage, and may have run prime95 in adaptive mode (although the version of P95 is 26.6 i.e. pre AVX version)...

If I remember correctly, once I found and stress tested the overclock with the stable voltage for 4.5ghz, I switched to adaptive voltage, and may have run prime95 in adaptive mode (although the version of P95 is 26.6 i.e. pre AVX version)...

:eek:

Even when overloaded, the PSU should just trip its internal current limiters (or overtemp, which the SX600-G definitely has) rather than die completely and take out the motherboard along with it. You may have just been unlucky and were coincidentally hit with a power surge when you were testing.

Lol, That reply does not look good!

So is it always a complete no go running prime95 in adaptive mode, even the older versions that do not run AVX instructions?

If so, once the correct voltage is found in fixed mode, is it not necessary/advised to run any stress tests when switching to adaptive?

What if a regular program invokes AVX?

I mean the more I think about it, it looks like it is not worth running in adaptive at all I.e. Potential cons far outweigh the benefit of running lower volts when not being used

Even when overloaded, the PSU should just trip its internal current limiters (or overtemp, which the SX600-G definitely has) rather than die completely and take out the motherboard along with it. You may have just been unlucky and were coincidentally hit with a power surge when you were testing.

I'm thinking the 8 pin connecter may have burned out due to CPU voltage being in adaptive mode?

I'm thinking the 8 pin connecter may have burned out due to CPU voltage being in adaptive mode?
The ATX12V connector only carries 12V. The regulation and stepdown circuitry on the motherboard (or CPU package for those equipped with FIVR) takes that 12V and steps it down to the correct voltage for the CPU to actually use (1.x V). Those 8-pin connectors are Molex Mini-Fit Jr connectors rated at 9A per pin, so 4 conductors at 12V & 9A is 432W of CPU draw before you need to worry about the connector burning out.

Over the past few days i've noticed some fan noise. It's almost sounds like a sleeve bearing failure. I don't hear any ticks. Is this what you're all talking about?

Hey everybody! I just finished a build with the Silverstone SFX-L 500W in a Silverstone SG13 case. I really like the build overall. But, since the SG13 PSU mounting bracket is for a full sized PSU, I needed to use the SFX-L's adapter bracket. However, the PSU attaches to the adapter bracket by only 3 small screws, and since the PSU is shorter than a standard PSU and the adapter bracket is mounted in the center of the case mount, the PSU doesn't sit on the case PSU rest plates. I'm nervous the screws will give and the PSU will fall and destroy my CPU cooler, motherboard, etc. It's just 3 small screws and air right now. Does anybody have any recommendations for securing the PSU more securely to my case? :confused:

Do you have a picture of this? Hard to visual it.

If the top 2 screws are in then you should be fine.

Do you have a picture of this? Hard to visual it.

If the top 2 screws are in then you should be fine.

I'll take a photo tonight and post it but the PSU attaches to the adapter bracket plate on the back by 3 screws, one located in the middle on the left edge, and the other on the top and bottom corners on the right. It just seems inadequate, especially given how small the screws are.

Hey everybody! I just finished a build with the Silverstone SFX-L 500W in a Silverstone SG13 case. I really like the build overall. But, since the SG13 PSU mounting bracket is for a full sized PSU, I needed to use the SFX-L's adapter bracket. However, the PSU attaches to the adapter bracket by only 3 small screws, and since the PSU is shorter than a standard PSU and the adapter bracket is mounted in the center of the case mount, the PSU doesn't sit on the case PSU rest plates. I'm nervous the screws will give and the PSU will fall and destroy my CPU cooler, motherboard, etc. It's just 3 small screws and air right now. Does anybody have any recommendations for securing the PSU more securely to my case? :confused:

You should be fine, I have the 450w bronze (shorter than yours but shouldn't be very different) in a similar situation (in an ATX case).
Been running 24/7 for the past couple of years, it's not giving in. :D

I'll take a photo tonight and post it but the PSU attaches to the adapter bracket plate on the back by 3 screws, one located in the middle on the left edge, and the other on the top and bottom corners on the right. It just seems inadequate, especially given how small the screws are.
Sounds fine. Some cases, like the Corsair 250D is made to hold heavier full size PSUs with just 2 screws.

Hey, your post couldn't have come at a more perfect time! I'm considering the same build as you, SX500-LG in an SG13. May I ask how many hard drives are attached in your system? I'm a bit worried whether the single SATA cable included with the PSU is long enough to reach 1 HDD and 2 SSDs at the bottom of the case.

Last edited:
Sounds fine. Some cases, like the Corsair 250D is made to hold heavier full size PSUs with just 2 screws.
IIRC there are two bumps on the bottom of the 250D with flat tops that support an ATX PSU unit from underneath.

Does anyone know if the Scythe Kamakiri Gold SFX unit is from the same OEM as the SX500-LG?

It seems to have two rails, where as teh Silverstone has one.

Looking at the pics I'm almost certain it's a Sirfa unit like all the other 500W SFX-L.

The modular connector daughterboard in the other units runs all the 12V lines to the same place and I doubt Scythe went to the trouble of modifying the base design to really split the 12V into two rails.

Looking at the pics I'm almost certain it's a Sirfa unit like all the other 500W SFX-L.

The modular connector daughterboard in the other units runs all the 12V lines to the same place and I doubt Scythe went to the trouble of modifying the base design to really split the 12V into two rails.
Sadly there aren't any reviews for it so there is no way to know if it's got Japanese caps, right?

AFAIK it's usually that the OEM designs for 2 rails according to (outdated) ATX12V v2.x specification, and it's Silverstone who asks for a custom variant with a single rail.

Physically the difference is a bunch of extra solder connecting the two rails, and presumably the components dealing with overcurrent protection are simplified in single-rail.

The actual PSU is almost always a single rail internally. The only way it has 'two' rails is that two sets of 12V pins have independent fuses rated below the max allow output current.

Sadly there aren't any reviews for it so there is no way to know if it's got Japanese caps, right?

We were the first one (and originally the only one) to ask High Power for all Japanese caps in our "production" units. So if they didn't advertise it, they likely won't have them.

Was going to purchase a 3-pin to 2-pin cable and replace the SX500-LG's fan, but I'm not sure if my intentions will resolve the ticking issue....

Is the source of the clicking sound (which sounds like a tap dripping IMO) from the stock fan starting and stopping? As such, will replacing the stock fan with a fan that I know to have a smooth start up resolve the issue?

I've just grabbed a new 500L and am not getting any clicking/galloping at all (load or otherwise) so am pretty happy with the change from the 600 which was far too noisy for my liking.

My 500L is silent, except under full load, though even that noise is much more gentle that the 600.

I've just grabbed a new 500L and am not getting any clicking/galloping at all (load or otherwise) so am pretty happy with the change from the 600 which was far too noisy for my liking.

My 500L is silent, except under full load, though even that noise is much more gentle that the 600.

Do you have a sticker that says 1.0 or 1.x?

I think the ticking only happens to people who have the right ambient and computer temperatures where the PSU hovers right around the shut-off point for the fan. If your temps are high enough that the fan is always on (or low enough that it's always off) you probably won't have that problem.

I've had the PSU for a good week now and could'nt hear any ticking noises so maybe I'm one of the lucky ones?
It's mounted vertically in my Ncase.

I think the ticking only happens to people who have the right ambient and computer temperatures where the PSU hovers right around the shut-off point for the fan. If your temps are high enough that the fan is always on (or low enough that it's always off) you probably won't have that problem.

It's more noticeable right at the shut-off, but I have it at other speeds too. The difference is that the click becomes "too fast" for the ear to hear as individual clicks and becomes other sounds instead. But I bought mine really early and hopefully it's better later in the production..

Back