Silverstone SX500-LG 500W Gold SFX-L

i'd anticipate that there would be an extra charge for custom shorted cables as modular cables are usually full sized therefore my interest in the sx600 with the built in short cable set, and the modular system being an added bonus

theres little interest in the 450 as a higher wattage gives room for expansion

You can get a Silverstone modular ATX PSU plus their short flat cable set (PP05-E) together for significantly less than the SX600 and end up with a quieter setup. With the cable set you also get a mini SATA power connector that you don't get with the SX600, if you have an ODD drive.

Any word if the SX500 will be able to cool itself down so the fan will turn off? Not that the SX600 is super loud, but it's a little disappointing that the semi-passive feature will only work right after booting up.

Any word if the SX500 will be able to cool itself down so the fan will turn off? Not that the SX600 is super loud, but it's a little disappointing that the semi-passive feature will only work right after booting up.

I think it will be semi-passive, activating at 45 deg C, unless my memory fails me or I have mixed it all up.

Thank you for the update Tony.

In the meantime I did order an SX600-G to see for myself about the coil whine. This PSU would be a nice upgrade in another system where I currently use an ST45SF-G and require about 200W when fully loaded. In this case, the SX600-G should be super quiet for me and since the computer is an HTPC, I shouldn't ear the coil whine at the couch distance.

I'll be waiting for the SFX-L model for my M1 case, I'm pretty sure that the noise from the fan will be less than the SX600-G, when the PSU in mounted with the fan pointing inward. The 120mm fan from the M1 chassis should help cool it down, making the PSU 120mm fan run slower.

Silverstone probably wont go for it to avoid going out of SFX spec in two axes rather than just one, but there might be enough room in between the PSU and sidewall of the Ncase to swap the 15mm fan for a 25mm fan, and have the fan extend out beyond the PSU case (requiring warranty-voiding chopping of the case). There are a few lower-end OEM SFX PSUs with thick 80mm fans that stick out in this manner.

Silverstone probably wont go for it to avoid going out of SFX spec in two axes rather than just one, but there might be enough room in between the PSU and sidewall of the Ncase to swap the 15mm fan for a 25mm fan, and have the fan extend out beyond the PSU case (requiring warranty-voiding chopping of the case). There are a few lower-end OEM SFX PSUs with thick 80mm fans that stick out in this manner.

Incidentally, the raised fan thing is part of the SFX specification. It allows up to 17mm extra height to fit a 80mm fan. See figure 39 in the Power Supply Design Guide.

Huh, then a 25m fan seems like an even better route. Unless Silverstone have a case that happens to have enough just enough room for SFX-L but not for SFX-L with a fan bulge...

I went to the Silverstone upcoming products showcase in Akihabara today and took some pics of SX500-LG (or GL, whichever is correct) there, I don't know how close this particular unit for display is to the most up-to-date development/inprovement in terms of the internal components, maybe most current, maybe old, no clue. Probably no difference from the pcpop disassembly of the High Power's own retail version.
Sorry for the quality, taken with a smartphone by someone who has no knowledge of photoshooting techniques :eek:
Here is the album:
http://imgur.com/a/6SylP#0

Thanks Tony and Vivian today for being patient with me throwing so many questions, you guys were great :)

Last edited:
Thanks veryrarium!

I'll add a link to your album to the OP.

edit: Can I embed one of your pics?

Awesome Pictures and thank you! And for someone with no knowledge of photo-shooting techniques you have some pretty good shots :D

@Aibohphobia
Sure, no problem at all with using my photos. I'm afraid they are not that useful but at least it's something to throw in this thread ;)
@Icer Jo
Thanks for the compliment! I just let the auto-focus thing on my phone camera do its job :D But I'm always amazed by beautiful shots taken by PC modders on various forums. For these pcitures I took, I wished I had had knowledge, skills, and equipments to be able to have a focus on the internal components despite the fan grille or punched holes in the foreground.

Trade show lighting is tough on the small cameras in phones. I worked it a little in Photoshop for the OP:

SX500-LG.jpg

I think you did a great job capturing the internals, I hate how most reporters never go for the gut shots of new parts so props to you for doing so :)

The fan seems odd: it has a really wide fan hub, very few (9) and very narrow blades. I hope they didn't decide to shoot themselves in the foot with a fan with terrible performance just so it can use the 0-100% duty cycle. I'd much rather have a fan that runs at 20% all the time and is quiet (fluid bearing) than one that chirps because it is running along the entire voltage spectrum.

Compare it to Silverstone's own slim 120mm fan:

0FMqYp3.jpg

Phobya G-Silent 12 Slim

AIpGKpF.jpg

Prolimatech Ultra Sleek Vortex 12

IWixb92.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yeah, it seems a bit odd that they're going for a high-airflow fan rather than a high-static-pressure fan, particularly as SFX is pretty dense inside with little exhaust area.

The sample from the Japan show was an older unit that we used in previous trade shows. We have already changed SX500-LG's fan to something else.

Good to hear, I hope it's an improvement ! Is there any way we could get a picture of it or is it still not set in stone ?

Yeah when I realized the mislabeling (LG vs GL) I was kind of suspicous about the particular displayed unit being old. I should have asked Tony at the showcase regarding this when he was kind enough to give me some time to chat with him after his presentation :D Those photos are the first thing I took when I arrived at the venue and by the time the presentation was over I was preoccupied with questions about case and AIO watercooling product designs etc and totally forgot about the PSUs.

Hi Tony, is the SX500 still on track for late November/early December?

Haven't been on HF for a long time (very long time--says 2011 was my last log-in! Though I've browsed around here and there w/o logging in earlier than that)... Interesting to see how things are going in the SFF world in terms of PSUs. Nice to see there are high-output SFX supplies, now up to 600W.

This SFX-L development seems pretty cool too, especially since having a 120mm fan on a PSU is really desirable. I have a SG06B (2nd rev w/USB 3.0 but with the grey/unpainted interior and FSP300-60GHS supply). While the supply performs fine for my needs, it's also pretty much the loudest thing in my case, most of the time :( My AIO's rad fan and GPU fans can get louder under high loads but at idle they're pretty much silent whereas the PSU is clearly audible. Kind of funny how the thing says "W/ NOISE KILLER" on the top--sure wish they'd 'killed' a little more noise, though I guess only so much can be done when you're using a slim 80mm fan. Then again slim 120mm fans aren't the quietest out there either. Still can't be any worse than 80mm though!

Anyway, looks like an SFX-L supply won't fit in an SG05/06 with the drive cage/bracket still in place. (Without the bracket you've got all the room in the world--can either fit SFX with no modification or full ATX by cutting the back of the case out a bit.) With the bracket, there's about 123mm from the back of the case to the back of the bracket, meaning the 130mm SFX-L won't fit. There's the option of cutting the front of the drive bracket (and drilling new holes for the screws that secure it up top)--that might work.

In my case I already cut part of the lower drive bay out in order to keep the bracket with my AIO's radiator in place (still have an SSD in there but can't put a 3.5in any longer). I also have a Blu-ray drive in mine so don't want to remove the bracket entirely. Cutting the front of the bracket you have quite a bit you could cut out and fit the SFX-L fine but in my case I only have about 10mm I could do there because then my SSD would be right on the rad fan. Without a rad up front you'd have another ~30mm I'd say, and you could still have an optical in there secured by just the rear screws because you'd have cut out the front mounting points for the ODD.

In my situation, at only ~133mm though, it'd be enough to *just* get an SFX-L supply in there but the modular connectors may be blocked by the drive bracket. So it seems like it may be doable in an SG05/SG06 while keeping the drive bracket (with ODD and 2.5" drive) but probably not in my case due to other restrictions. I'm guessing since these things are all going modular these days, there won't be a non-modular version either?

What I think I'm going to end up doing with my SG06 is cutting the rear open larger and using an ATX extender bracket, to fit a full size-supply; I don't understand why the case wasn't originally designed like that (like some Coolermaster cases) but I guess that's for another thread. However there is still hope for other SG05/06 owners to fit an SFX-L supply it seems!

Out of curiosity, any word on price for this supply yet? Don't seem to see any mention of that here, and don't really want to go through 50 pages of the SX600 thread to find out, lol.

Hi Tony, is the SX500 still on track for late November/early December?

Yup, "so far" everything points to them being on schedule for release by late November for Asian nations and December for North America/Europe.

Out of curiosity, any word on price for this supply yet? Don't seem to see any mention of that here, and don't really want to go through 50 pages of the SX600 thread to find out, lol.

It will cost less than SX600-G. :)

But seriously, with 30mm additional depth (resulting in 23% more volume), a SFX-L PSU is going to be less costly than an equivalent SFX PSU of same wattage. So this should give you some idea on SX500-LG's price range when it's released.

Does that mean the SX500-LG will cost about the same as the ST45SF-G? Will it come with the ribbon style cables at that price range?

Good news, thanks Tony ! I'll be awaiting it furiously to plop it into the Ncase M1 hoping it will fit perfectly.

SFX-L (the High Power version) in a M1, fits but it's really close: http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1041196927&postcount=14217
Technically it doesn't fit without modding the bracket, on account of the angled AC cable. We may be able to change the bracket before V3 production starts to remedy that issue, but the clearance for the modular connector at the bottom are still going to be a problem. It's very tight, and there's not much we can do about it.

Ah, I didn't notice he cut back the flange. I'm pretty sure I've seen people bend the cable at a sharp enough angle before to clear it though.

That's disappointing it doesn't fit the M1 easily. I'm glad I didn't buy the SFX-L this past July when it was between SFX-L vs SFX

Limitations of the SG05/06

I actually have a modded SG05 build w/ 2*3.5in drives, a 120mm AIO for the CPU/GPU, and an optical drive. I got the semi-passive 300W Silverstone SFX, and the AIO pump is my loudest component. It's fine for my current needs, but it's pretty much maxed out for silent use--higher power components would mean much more noise and higher temps.

It sounds like what you need is the Ncase M1: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1717132

I picked one up, but when I found myself downgrading my components to cut down on 24/7 wattage, I kept the M1 for a different build.

The current revision juuuust barely fits the SFX-L with a full-length card: http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/537/JTTKSH.jpg

The Chieftec one has the 'Globe Fan'-fan, I'm glad Silverstone isn't going with that one because it looks like a really meh fan with its huge spindle and extremely narrow blades with way too much spacing.

Some component info for people in the know (I'm not):

Primary: RubyCon 85°C 390µF

Secondary: all 105°C Nippon Chemicon

Capacity/Voltage/Series:
100 µF / 35 Volt / KZH
220 µF / 16 Volt / KY
1000 µF / 16 Volt / not recognizable
1500 µF / 10 Volt / KZH
2200 µF / 16 Volt / KY

Those are both good quality brands. Hopefully the SX500-LG will use the same caps.

Now we just need to see what fan SilverStone ends up going with. The Prolimatech slim 120mm would be nice or the upcoming Noctua would be awesome but that's probably asking too much.

I don't think we should be hoping for any retail fan to make it into the PSU, it's mostly OEM parts that are used. I don't know the exact reason (I would guess cost, availability) but I've never to my knowledge seen a retail brand fan be included in any PC hardware that needs to be cooled.

I don't think we should be hoping for any retail fan to make it into the PSU, it's mostly OEM parts that are used. I don't know the exact reason (I would guess cost, availability) but I've never to my knowledge seen a retail brand fan be included in any PC hardware that needs to be cooled.

OEMs that sell PSUs and fans can use their own fans in the power supply. Of the ones I've owned: Cooler Master, BeQuiet! and Zalman. Maybe others too, like Corsair?

I'm sure Noctua/Kolink would design and manufacture an OEM fan, if Silverstone was so inclined to consider it.

Offering class-leading quiet cooling performance and reliable, first-class quality, Noctua's fans and heatsinks are not only chosen by quiet PC enthusiasts across the globe, but also by system integrators and manufacturers who seek to improve the acoustics of their products in order to give them a decisive edge over the competition.

They could even keep the signature brown and Noctua branding to use as another selling point, if they wanted to. And what's another $10 to the consumer that's already spending $100+ on a PSU?

Unfortunately, the new slim 120mm that Aiboh mentioned isn't due until Q3/Q4 of 2015.

A potential Gordian solution to fitting the SX500-LG with a long GPU into the Ncase: use the ATX mount. with the PSU shifter further to the end of the case, the modular connectors may clear the end of the GPU, or (worst case) allow the GPU with a backplate to flex at the end just enough to allow the cables to pass. Downsides are you lose the extra 120mm fan mount (and HDD/SSD mounts), lose the option to draw air from directly outside the case, and possible issues with IEC plug orientation.

I wonder, if I were to replace whatever fan in an SFX-L unit, whether a retail slim 120mm fan can fit inside snugly without scraping the fan frame off to make the fan a tiny bit smaller.

As for the fan inside SX500-LG, Silverstone has its own slime 120mm fan so my guess is that's what goes into it with some fan speed range tweak.

Why don't PSUs come with fan slots instead of fans themselves (they can still include a fan)? Are they afraid people will use the PSU without a fan?

Why don't PSUs come with fan slots instead of fans themselves (they can still include a fan)? Are they afraid people will use the PSU without a fan?

Probably. Or people could select a fan with inadequate air flow/static pressure.

Back