Silverstone SST-SX600-G 600w Gold SFX

Yes, very impressive. Can you provide details about the Sunon fans you used for the power supply?

Seriously, that some crazy good stuff you did here...
very impressibe build.

Yes, very impressive. Can you provide details about the Sunon fans you used for the power supply?

Thank you. I don't know the part numbers off the top of my head, but here are the details of the fans.The small Sunon fans I added to the side of the PSU case are 40x40x10mm and are 5800RPM units (@27 DB).The replacement fan for the ADDA is a 80x15mm Sunon, 3000RPM (@35 DB).

Seriously, that some crazy good stuff you did here...
very impressibe build.

Thank you!

Wow, amazing build, awesome ideas and insane dedication. You should show your build on the smallformfactor.net forum, many SFF-minded people there that would love to pick your brain !

Thanks! Glad you liked it! I'll definitely have a look into that site, thanks for the recommendation.

Thanks!

I was stuck in that same boat of waiting on Silverstone and Corsair and hoping something better was going to come along, I just couldn't wait any longer. From a cost standpoint I don't completely understand what Silverstone was thinking using 2nd and 3rd tier cheap capacitors, we're talking differences of cents, not dollars. Putting in premium Japanese capacitors would have cost them at most just a couple dollar difference. Why on earth on a $130 power supply they chose to cheap out on something so critical I don't know.

Here is a link to the build post, you can skip down if you'd like to the power supply section for the information and pictures. http://www.totalgeekdom.com/?p=3676

Thanks for sharing! Your Lego build was very cool.

There was a discussion on manufacturer's choice for capacitors in which we participated as well over at jonnyGURU if you haven't seen it already. It helps explain our position on capacitor choice.

Thanks for sharing! Your Lego build was very cool.

There was a discussion on manufacturer's choice for capacitors in which we participated as well over at jonnyGURU if you haven't seen it already. It helps explain our position on capacitor choice.

Thanks!

And thank you for the link, good discussion on JG about it. I understand that there are a lot of other factors that come into play for a company when it comes to spec'ing out the components for a product, and lead time and availability are a big deal in terms of getting a product out and having it available for purchase. So that aspect makes sense to me, as does the final cost of the unit.

On the other hand I would have been more than willing to pay $140 or $150 for the unit if it already had the highest grade capacitors available. Since the power supply is such a critical element of any build, from a standpoint of stability, durability and overclocking capability, I'll always choose the most premium and best unit available, regardless of the premium price it might carry.

But I also understand I might be in the minority in terms of buyers, and that a lot of uniformed shoppers will base most things on price, and that can make or break a product in a competitive market. My personal preference is to always choose components based on the requirements of the system and application. For me this means choosing the best I can find, and paying the premium up front for that, knowing it will pay off in the long run. If someone comes to me with a specific budget, and it does not match the requirements for the system, I just say no thank you, as I would much rather only produce something I'm confident will last.

I know it's probably not possible because of volumes, but I would love an SX600-G Elite version that had all premium caps already in place. At this point though I think it's great that Silverstone has pushed the SFX form factor and is producing power supplies that fit into it, it really gives more versatility to builders looking to do smaller form factor builds.

On the other hand I would have been more than willing to pay $140 or $150 for the unit if it already had the highest grade capacitors available.
While you, me or other people on this forum would, many wouldn't since they only see "600W = 130$". Also, I'd not be sure I'd be willing to spend 20$ more for a higher quality component I can't feel, see, hear, measure or otherwise experience the benefits from, since it's extremely difficult to test the difference in real life.

If this topic is an indication, the lack of top-end quality caps allround is the least of its problems.

I'd probably pay $20 more for an always on fan and higher grade caps, etc if I had that choice.

Hopefully the Corsair SF600 should be out end of this month and will be a better solution.

While you, me or other people on this forum would, many wouldn't since they only see "600W = 130$". Also, I'd not be sure I'd be willing to spend 20$ more for a higher quality component I can't feel, see, hear, measure or otherwise experience the benefits from, since it's extremely difficult to test the difference in real life.

If this topic is an indication, the lack of top-end quality caps allround is the least of its problems.

Agreed, that's part of the challenge for Silverstone, how to hit the price point that they know they can sell the unit at. I feel like in terms of appreciable difference between capacitors, that is another challenging area for Silverstone, while there are buyers who understand why Japanese capacitors are higher quality, the vast majority probably don't know the difference and have no clue. At the same point though, I find that when I explain to customers that spending $20 more on a higher end power supply is insanely cheap insurance, they almost always go for it because the math is pretty straightforward. A 6700K processor is about $400, a GTX 980 Ti is about $650, a good mobo is about $160, just those 3 components add up to over $1200, and it's of course very possible to fry all of them with a failed power supply. That's why I always treat the power supply as one of the most important components in the system, buy the best you can get if you're going to be using the system and putting it through a workout.

If you just plan to use the system for internet surfing though, and never load it really, and it's lower end components anyways that don't cost anywhere near as much, then yes, looking for cheaper power supply options can make sense in those scenarios.

I'd probably pay $20 more for an always on fan and higher grade caps, etc if I had that choice.

Hopefully the Corsair SF600 should be out end of this month and will be a better solution.

I'm really interested to see what the SF600 looks like in final form. It'll be great to have more companies enter the high end SFX market.

Just called Corsair about their SF600 PSU and the new ETA has been pushed back to April/May 2016. Looks like Silverstone is the only way to go at this point in time...

Thank you. I don't know the part numbers off the top of my head, but here are the details of the fans.The small Sunon fans I added to the side of the PSU case are 40x40x10mm and are 5800RPM units (@27 DB).The replacement fan for the ADDA is a 80x15mm Sunon, 3000RPM (@35 DB).

Just read your build and it was pretty amazing the amount of customization you have done in the entire build. Very impressive. If you don't mind, can you also list the capacitor values you used and how many of each were needed for the replacement? I understand from reading your build guide that you had a ton of research you had to do in order to find out what you needed, maybe you can save us the headaches of tracking down all that information?

I did a little research and found these Sunon fans that fit the dimensions. I believe these are the ones that were used in @totalgeek 's rebuild of the SFX 600 PSU. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Sunon Fan 40x10mm
Digi-Key Part #: 259-1564-ND
Manufacturer Part #: MB40101V2-000U-A99

Sunon Fan 80x15mm (Vapo-Bearing)
Digi-Key Part #: 259-1649-ND
Manufacturer Part #: ME80151V1-000U-A99

Sunon Fan 80x15mm (Ball-Bearing)
Digi-Key Part #: 259-1442-ND
Manufacturer Part #: KD1208PHB1.13.(2).GN

“Vapo Bearing” have an extra magnet in the motor and shaft area. This extra magnet helps to stabilize the rotating fan reducing friction between the shaft and the bearing.

Just read your build and it was pretty amazing the amount of customization you have done in the entire build. Very impressive. If you don't mind, can you also list the capacitor values you used and how many of each were needed for the replacement? I understand from reading your build guide that you had a ton of research you had to do in order to find out what you needed, maybe you can save us the headaches of tracking down all that information?

Here is the list of stock capacitors that come in the unit

Height= 16.5mm (Can be a little taller if need be)
A3TC
1500uf
6.3v
SC105c

A3TC
1500uf
6.3v
SC105c

Height= 26.6mm (Can't be taller)
Taicon
1425A(m)
2200uf
16v
105c(pw)p

Height= 10mm (Really close to coil, could maybe be taller)
A3TC
220uf
16v
SC105c

Height= 14.6mm (Real close to coil, could maybe be taller)
470uf
25v
SH105c

A3TC
1500uf
6.3v
SC105c

Height= 10mm (Can be taller)
10uf
50v
SS105c

Now, with that said I will say that I've taken apart a fair amount of these units now and while the capacitors themselves always have the same specs in terms of capacitance, and voltage, they are often different manufacturers. Sometimes you'll encounter a Rubycon or Chemi-con in there in addition to the good primary capacitor.

It's funny because I didn't initially intend to modify just power supplies and sell that service, but since I started modifying these power supplies I've had numerous people send me theirs and I've done these mods for them.

In regards to replacement capacitor choice, you've got a couple options. I go with Chemi-con, but you could do Rubycons or Nichicons as well. I suggest buying the best you can get because they are fairly inexpensive, they rarely cost more than a dollar per cap, often half that.

And of course I'll put the disclaimer out there that if you are not familiar with modifying or opening up a power supply, then I strongly suggest not attempting to do it yourself unless you have someone help you, or you read and research online the do's and don'ts of working with these kinds of things. While these power supplies do have bleeder resistors to discharge the capacitors, there are of course still dangers in working with electricity. So please don't go diving in without doing the appropriate homework first!

Thanks totalgeek. I will surely be doing quite a bit of reading before I tackle the task. Thanks for all your help, you sir are a good man. Cheers!

Damn this psu is delayed again? And to April/May? WTF. I want to buy a compact yet good PSU, and heard the Silverstone one is full of problems and horrors. Now I have to keep using my current ATX psu.

Damn this psu is delayed again? And to April/May? WTF. I want to buy a compact yet good PSU, and heard the Silverstone one is full of problems and horrors. Now I have to keep using my current ATX psu.

I'm not surprised really. Usually if it is shown at CES its many months later before it gets to stores. Wouldn't surprise me if its Summer or later. Manufacturers show something off but production is way after.

Wow what a thread, I wish I found this before I bought the sfx 600.

I'm running an htpc in a streacom fc10 case, which previously was just using skylake integrated gpu and the streacom fanless psu.

I added a gtx950 for extra madvr capability, but with that the fanless psu had to go.

I started with an sfx 450 and the noise from the always on fan was unbearable. The sfx300 was borderline not powerful enough for my skylake + gtx950 build at peak power so I went with the 600 as it was the only "semi fanless" sfx psu I could find that would fit inside my case (the 500 is a little too long).

Anyway my 600 has the startup fan chirp as well, but thankfully(?) the fan stays on once it turns on so it doesn't sound like an aviary in my livingroom. However, even at low speeds I find the fan in the PSU loud enough to be annoying in what is otherwise a completely silent room.

I've got 2 questions then:
1 - Is the sfx 300w appreciably quieter? Wouldnt the fan be spinning higher since my system would be putting the 300w under a higher % total load?

2 - Has anyone figured out a way to mod the 600 with a quieter fan?

Thanks for any experience you guys may have, I'd hate to have to go back to the integrated GPU as I value my silence, but the picture quality benefits of madVR scaling up to 4k are too great to ignore.

I'm running an htpc in a streacom fc10 case, which previously was just using skylake integrated gpu and the streacom fanless psu.

I added a gtx950 for extra madvr capability, but with that the fanless psu had to go.

I started with an sfx 450 and the noise from the always on fan was unbearable. The sfx300 was borderline not powerful enough for my skylake + gtx950 build at peak power so I went with the 600 as it was the only "semi fanless" sfx psu I could find that would fit inside my case (the 500 is a little too long).
Something's very wrong if a Skylake CPU (91W TDP) and GTX 950 (90W TDP, OC version about 100W max) can't be handled by a 300W PSU. Have you tested this or concluded by looking at the power consumption pulled from the wall with another PSU ?
If the former: either you have overclocked (a big no-no in most passive cases), are running it out of spec (using splitters, running too hot).
If the latter: I can't see how you could come to that conclusion. Because 91W (CPU) +90W (GPU) + 20W (M/B and few HDDs) * 1.20 (generous AC-DC conversion inefficiency) = 241W from the wall, 201W internally. Even Streacom's 250W passive PSU could handle that I'd guess. PSUs are rated for the internal power consumption. And those numbers are full load numbers.

Whhat fanless PSU were you using before adding the GTX 950 ?

1 - Is the sfx 300w appreciably quieter? Wouldnt the fan be spinning higher since my system would be putting the 300w under a higher % total load?

2 - Has anyone figured out a way to mod the 600 with a quieter fan?
1. The SFX-L PSUs are the quietest for now, the SFX PSUs have the fan-modded Silverstone 450W 85+Gold as the quietest, but it may be unstable in high ambient temperature environments. I don't have experience with the 300W versions (I believe there were two) but one was noticeably noisy, the other was not.

2. If you read the last few pages of this topic, you'll see someone modded a different fan into this PSU (the lego build) and removed the semi-fanless feature. It's the semi-fanless controller that also is responsible for (electronic) noise. Also, fans that constantly change speed are much more noticeable than a steadily running fan.

Came to answer you. Found Phuncz has already said what I wanted to say.

Also... TDP =/= power consumption. A skylake CPU is never going to draw close to 91W unless you are using the iGPU and the avx2 capability and all four cores with hyperthreading simultaneously. Think more like 40W using cores alone.

I put a Silverstone 300W in the NCase M1 I made for my Dad and I couldn't get the fan to spin up at all. Although that was only a G3258, the prime95 test does use avx2. What I mean to say: the ST30SF is truly fanless at idle and low loads.

Thanks for the replies guys. I saw the Lego build post so will consider following suit if that's the best option.

As far as the comments on sufficient power go, it's really a matter of 12v rail capacity. The streacom zf240 had very limited 12v capacity and the gtx950 + skylake i5 (non oc) easily overwhelmed it.

I used one of those online power calculator websites and for my setup with skylake i5, ram, ssd, gtx950, it recommended just over 20a of 12v capacity, which the 300w sfx just barely missed.

Maybe max load would never happen but the silver stone site says the fan on the 300w comes on at something like 30% load.

In any case, thanks for the pointers, I may actually look into swapping in a quiet always on fan into the 450w sfx if the fan controller is the partial cause of the noise problems with the 600w model.

Back