Silverstone SST-SX600-G 600w Gold SFX

I've had the same problem with my ST45SF-G and I've seen others too. The Demciflex filters are really really dense which make a huge difference in airflow and thus cooling. Mind you, I'm assuming you know your CPU and GPU aren't unstable or overheating.

Yeah, my GPU and CPU are ok!

GPU never tops 70*C and CPU, 65*C.

I've been trying to sift through this thread, but having trouble finding my answer so apologies ahead of time. How much of an improvement is V1.1 in terms of noise? How does it compare to a stock ST45SF?

I've got the 550watt sfx.. everywhere I read recommends a 600w PSU for a 980ti. Do I have to buy this or can I get by with the 550w version?

Oops, I've got this one which is sold as a "compact" ATX but fits in my SFX-only case.

So if 450 works for a 980ti I guess this 550 should too.

Anyone with more weird noise coming from the SX600G v1.0 ?

I will try to record mine just for fun :D

When i start the computer and it's all cool i can hear the fan trying to turn on, but doesn't complete a full revolution and i can hear it .. squeal. :p with an echo ?
When it finally turns on, it makes an even more complex squeal but something like a rain drop ?
It's very faint of course, i can hear it only when it is complete silence in the room and i have the case like 30 cm from me but it's so funny.
I though i was going crazy but it's the psu...

I hope the SFX-L 700W Platinum will have a better fan...

-----

By the way, how can i fix an exterior fan to the grill of the psu ?

I have this fan - Noiseblocker M8-P 80mm PWM
http://www.blacknoise.com/site/en/p...s/nb-multiframe-series/80x80x25mm.php?lang=EN

And i would like to mount it on the exterior of the PSU just to help it push more air into it but i can't figure out how to secure it there with a more practical solution.

Any ideas? Thank you.

When i start the computer and it's all cool i can hear the fan trying to turn on, but doesn't complete a full revolution and i can hear it .. squeal. :p with an echo ?
When it finally turns on, it makes an even more complex squeal but something like a rain drop ?
It's very faint of course, i can hear it only when it is complete silence in the room and i have the case like 30 cm from me but it's so funny.

-----

http://www.blacknoise.com/site/en/p...s/nb-multiframe-series/80x80x25mm.php?lang=EN

And i would like to mount it on the exterior of the PSU just to help it push more air into it but i can't figure out how to secure it there with a more practical solution.

Any ideas? Thank you.

Half the posts in this thread is about the bird chirp/bomb drop sound you hear. ;)

SFX-L 700W has a better 120mm thin fan.

You might want to look out for the SF600 from Corsair as well, after the summer. It has a 92mm fan, and if implemented correctly, could be a very nice one.

My PSU has started developing a whirring noise whenever the fan kicks in which is very distracting. I think this can be fixed by re-lubricating the fan bearings, but that would mean disassembling the PSU and voiding the warranty. How does Silverstone handle RMA? I am not sure I want my rig out of commission for just a simple fix.

-----

Any ideas? Thank you.

best way i can think of would be to remove the cover, unscrew and remove the current fan and attach your new one to the external side of the grill using the same screwholes but screwing it in from the inside of the cover out.

My PSU has started developing a whirring noise whenever the fan kicks in which is very distracting. I think this can be fixed by re-lubricating the fan bearings, but that would mean disassembling the PSU and voiding the warranty. How does Silverstone handle RMA? I am not sure I want my rig out of commission for just a simple fix.

Been awol around here for awhile, but please let me know how your RMA experience with them goes. My SX600-G just recently developed a brand new on/off loud clacking noise this past week (on top of the usual chatter), that is just beyond unreasonable to live with. I am in no way being "picky" or "sensitive" at this point, as this shit is audible across the room and often heard above the music I play (sadly, in an effort to drown out the normal quiet chatter of the fan).

Like the chatter, it sounds like dry loose bearings rattling around smacking each other very loudly (a little squeaky, and very click-clacky.. and absolutely worse than my shitty ST45SF-G ever was).

Really hoping the Corsair SF600 comes out soon, cause I'm gonna feel like a major dipshit if I purchase a 3rd noisy POS Silverstone PSU for just this single build :(

Been awol around here for awhile, but please let me know how your RMA experience with them goes. My SX600-G just recently developed a brand new on/off loud clacking noise this past week (on top of the usual chatter), that is just beyond unreasonable to live with. I am in no way being "picky" or "sensitive" at this point, as this shit is audible across the room and often heard above the music I play (sadly, in an effort to drown out the normal quiet chatter of the fan).

Like the chatter, it sounds like dry loose bearings rattling around smacking each other very loudly (a little squeaky, and very click-clacky.. and absolutely worse than my shitty ST45SF-G ever was).

Really hoping the Corsair SF600 comes out soon, cause I'm gonna feel like a major dipshit if I purchase a 3rd noisy POS Silverstone PSU for just this single build :(

Yeah the SX-600 is literally the noisiest component in my system at idle. I hope the SF600 turns out better.

That is definitely not normal! While we admit that SX600-G may not be considered quiet/silent to everyone, to have it become noticeable across the room and be heard over music would not be tolerable to us either. Please make sure to contact our branch office to RMA it. If possible, please give me a heads up when you do so!

Maximum PC just posted their latest review on a water-cooled, GTX Titan equipped Falcon Northwest Tiki, which uses SX600-G. Here is a quote from the article regarding this machine's noise:

Perhaps the most impressive thing about the Tiki, however, is that it stayed eerily quiet under our benchmarks. At idle, it’s damn near silent.

That is definitely not normal! While we admit that SX600-G may not be considered quiet/silent to everyone, to have it become noticeable across the room and be heard over music would not be tolerable to us either. Please make sure to contact our branch office to RMA it. If possible, please give me a heads up when you do so!

Thanks Tony, I'll be sure to send you a PM after I get a chance to swap it out for my ST45SF-G and request an RMA.

I've got some differencing info - can someone please confirm the Noiseblocker mod can/cannot be done to the SX600g?

I've got some differencing info - can someone please confirm the Noiseblocker mod can/cannot be done to the SX600g?

The Noiseblocker PCP 80x15mm has the wrong voltage profile, is only suitable for swapping on the ST45SF and ST45SF-G.

Do not swap the fan in the SX600-G for any other 80x15mm.

The Noiseblocker PCP 80x15mm has the wrong voltage profile, is only suitable for swapping on the ST45SF and ST45SF-G.

Do not swap the fan in the SX600-G for any other 80x15mm.

No suitable fan has been found to be a 1:1 replacement.

How do you properly test a SX600 without it having a standby switch to turn it on/off? Would the standard black/green wire paperclip method work for this PSU? I built my Ncase M1 and the motherboard would not boot. I have an ASUS Impact VII motherboard and when trying to power on, only the 'Power' button on the motherboard would light up and the motherboard's IO panel's reset button lights up too. No peripherals would start or anything.

I tried hooking up a PSU tester to the 24pin connector and got nothing (hence the question of how to properly test this PSU since it gave no readings but yet some basic lights and etc were lit on the mobo).

How do you properly test a SX600 without it having a standby switch to turn it on/off? Would the standard black/green wire paperclip method work for this PSU? I built my Ncase M1 and the motherboard would not boot. I have an ASUS Impact VII motherboard and when trying to power on, only the 'Power' button on the motherboard would light up and the motherboard's IO panel's reset button lights up too. No peripherals would start or anything.

I tried hooking up a PSU tester to the 24pin connector and got nothing (hence the question of how to properly test this PSU since it gave no readings but yet some basic lights and etc were lit on the mobo).

Yeah you have to jump the 24pin connector.

Yeah you have to jump the 24pin connector.

Perfect! Interesting how my PSU tester showed not a single amount of power but yet some motherboard lights came on when connected to the motherboard. Possibly something wrong with my PSU tester? I'll jump it and hook up a basic fan to test when I get home. Fingers crossed it is a PSU issue and not a motherboard issue.

Perfect! Interesting how my PSU tester showed not a single amount of power but yet some motherboard lights came on when connected to the motherboard. Possibly something wrong with my PSU tester? I'll jump it and hook up a basic fan to test when I get home. Fingers crossed it is a PSU issue and not a motherboard issue.

If the motherboard power light comes on, then psu is good. Try booting with a single stick of ram and no other peripherals ; video connected to motherboard.

This is important when it comes to troubleshooting, minimize your possible points of failure

Howeveer, I believe some power supplies will not come on without a minimum load, so I would add some fans and maybe even a known good hard drive to the PS. Do not plug these items into the motherboard.

Howeveer, I believe some power supplies will not come on without a minimum load, so I would add some fans and maybe even a known good hard drive to the PS. Do not plug these items into the motherboard.

That's advice from 10 years ago ;) Modern "Haswell ready" PSUs such as the Silverstone Strider range don't need any load to be jump started.

You can short PS_ON with any GND to start it. Used to be green wire to any black wire, but the SX600-G has only black wires, so refer to pinout diagram. Then get a multimeter and test voltages: negative to GND pins; positive to 5V red, 3.3V orange, 12V yellow, and -12V blue.

I took everything apart and rebuilt, now all of a sudden everything works fine.. Very odd

Thanks for the advice everyone!

What's the issue with the slim profile Noiseblocker and the different voltage profile? Does the fan not work or psu overheat?

What's the issue with the slim profile Noiseblocker and the different voltage profile? Does the fan not work or psu overheat?

Yeah voltage profile of the SX600-G is 3-5V instead of ST45SF-G which went up to like 10V maybe.

So it will work at idle, and all will seem fine, but at load it won't be moving enough air. The PSU will be overheating and lifetime will be cut short.

I sort of missed the last 60 pages of this thread...lol. But is the conclusion that this thing is more compromised in terms of noise and components than the SF45-G unit in order to achieve its 600W rating?

But is the conclusion that this thing is more compromised in terms of noise and components than the SF45-G unit in order to achieve its 600W rating?
No. It's better than the SF45-G, but not as good as it could have been if the 'fanless' feature were dropped altogether.

This is a repeat of a post I placed in the Ncase M1 thread about my effort to replace this power supply's fan::

Well, I thought about creating a duct to direct more of the side bracket fan's exhaust into the SX600-G power supply, but in the end I decided "screw it!" and removed the 80 mm fan, expanded the intake hole and mounted a 92 mm Nexus fan onto the outside of the PS. I'm not using this space for anything so the loss of interior space is not a problem for me, I may replace the fan with a Noctua NF-A9 FLX (not the PWM model) which should have more airflow and still be quiet enough.

Hi guys, I recently built a new skylake mini itx gaming pc using this powersupply but am having the following issues. I have installed all the latest intel and gigabyte drivers and even flashed bios to F5.

1. Occasionally when I turn on the PC, I get no hdmi video output from the onboard video card. When this happens, I have to either unplug the HDMI cable and replug it back in, while it's on. Sometimes, when this doesn't work I have to turn the entire system off, unplug it from the wall, and retry. After this, it works.

2. I am getting random lockups in the desktop. I would be just surfing and suddenly, everything would come to a halt for a few seconds. I'm using Windows 8.1, brand new fresh install, and at first I was getting weird mouse disconnects (i am using a logitech m510 wireless). Then the problems got worse as now my entire system would freeze for a few seconds.

CPU temps look fine however. Idling in desktop hovers around 25C, even while surfing, youtube, 1080 video playback, i'm sitting mostly around the 30-40c range, with max temps being 50C. I don't think the temperatures can be to blame for the instability right ?

3. Maybe this is part of the gigabyte bootup process, but after hitting the power button, i noticed it takes a good 7 seconds before I see the gigabyte logo come up on the screen. I haven't build much PCS recently, does the bootup logo take so long to come up these days ? I'm used to seeing pretty much instant power button -> logo on screen times in the past builds.

My question now is, which part can be defective ? If any can give some guidance would be greatly appreciated ! Thanks.

My suspicions at this point are either the motherboard or the PSU.

PSU (Silverstone SX600-G)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817256109
On Newegg's site, I've read some really bad horror stories about the quality of this small form factor PSU. Unfortunately, since I am trying to install the 980Ti full length gpu, it's the only one that will really fit inside the Node 304 case. My question is, are the symptoms and issues I'm experiencing consistent with a potentially faulty PSU ? Can a bad PSU cause the system instability issues I am writing about or is it a all or nothing type thing ?

Motherboard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128847

I read a review on the newegg site that mentioned how the mobo might be throttling the CPU due to cheap VRM's. Indeed, when i am in HWMonitor, i do see the CPU frequency go from 800 to 4000 frequently but that's completley normal behavior right ?

Gigabyte Z170N-WIfi Mini ITX Board
Intel Core I7 6700K Skylake CPU
Silverstone SX600-G PSU SFF
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2133
Intel 530 240GB SSD
Fractal Node 304 Mini ITX Case
EVGA 980 Ti (I have not installed this yet until I resolve all stability issues)

So... I thought I'd try to revive a 1/2 year dead thread, because I need some advice.

I am on the verge of pulling the trigger on cable sleeving supplies to update my M1 build, as well as kill some time during a pretty wet and crappy winter.

The 24-pin cable that comes with the SX600-G is messy as hell. I've seen many custom sleeved 24-pin cables that look like they're cleaned up significantly. Not really sure exactly how this is achieved. I imagine the internet is full of answers on this, but I figured this is as good of a place as any to get answers from people with experience with this exact cable.

Is it simply a matter of color matching or does it matter for instance which 3.3V cable from the PSU goes to which 3.3V pin on the MB? Has anyone drawn up a god Wiring Diagram on a clean(er) cable?

Any feedback is appreciated:)

Just wanted to thank all those that have been posting in this thread with information relating to these Silverstone power supplies. I read through this thread many times when researching out SFX power supplies and trying to figure out what to do for my new system. I ended up going with the SX600 and then modifying a bunch of things about it to improve it's performance. I swapped out all the cheap Taiwanese/Chinese capacitors for the best Japanese ones I could find (Chemi-Con).

Additionally I redid the cooling system and got rid of the ADDA fan and replaced it with a higher end Sunon fan. I also modified the case itself and cut out the fan grill, since it was unnecessary for my build and added noise. And lastly I cut open the side of the case where the secondary capacitors are hidden away and suffer from lack of cooling because of their location being so cramped and not in the path of the fan. I added two more 40mm Sunon fans in these locations to cool the secondary capacitors and that portion of the case.

As for the fan control itself, I ditched using the internal controller as it just didn't make any sense to me. A power supply this small, that produces this much power needs active cooling, all the time. The whole no fan operation until a certain temp just didn't make sense to me. So I sized the replacement fans airflow and noise so that they could run at a full 12v all the time. At low loads this keeps the power supply barely above ambient, and when pushed harder it keeps the temps much lower than the factory fan configuration.

I saw significant temperature drops in my testing, with everything running much cooler. I used a combination of thermal probes, IR gun, and thermal imaging camera to do the testing. Overall with the upgraded capacitors and case modifications and added fans, the power supply runs way cooler and should last much much longer. It's powering an overclocked 6700k and GTX 980 Ti.

Since I'm not sure if it's allowed or not I won't post a link unless someone says that's okay. I've got a full writeup of the modifications, testing, thermal images and temperature results for those that are interested. Again, thanks to all those that contributed to this thread as the information was very helpful. I'm gonna cross post the same thing on OC as that thread was a huge help too.

Wow, what a huge amount of effort. I know many are waiting and hoping for a better SFX from Silverstone and Corsair, but here's to you for making yours better right now.

I'd like to see the write-up you did, be sure to drop a link here if possible, maybe links can't be posted with less than 10 posts.

I'd also like to see it. At that point you should write your own label because it is more your design than Silverstone's.

Thanks!

I was stuck in that same boat of waiting on Silverstone and Corsair and hoping something better was going to come along, I just couldn't wait any longer. From a cost standpoint I don't completely understand what Silverstone was thinking using 2nd and 3rd tier cheap capacitors, we're talking differences of cents, not dollars. Putting in premium Japanese capacitors would have cost them at most just a couple dollar difference. Why on earth on a $130 power supply they chose to cheap out on something so critical I don't know.

Here is a link to the build post, you can skip down if you'd like to the power supply section for the information and pictures. http://www.totalgeekdom.com/?p=3676

Thanks!

I was stuck in that same boat of waiting on Silverstone and Corsair and hoping something better was going to come along, I just couldn't wait any longer. From a cost standpoint I don't completely understand what Silverstone was thinking using 2nd and 3rd tier cheap capacitors, we're talking differences of cents, not dollars. Putting in premium Japanese capacitors would have cost them at most just a couple dollar difference. Why on earth on a $130 power supply they chose to cheap out on something so critical I don't know.

Here is a link to the build post, you can skip down if you'd like to the power supply section for the information and pictures. http://www.totalgeekdom.com/?p=3676

That has to be the coolest build I have read about in a long, long time. Awesome writeup and seeing the temp improvements on the PSU was really neat.

Back