Silverstone SST-SX600-G 600w Gold SFX

It's a shame because the SX600-G fan profile has lower rpms at all power points than the ST45SF-G+NB, just let down by the fan quality and damping of the coils.

I agree - the fan quality is very poor for my v1.0 SX600-G. Thankfully I have not had any coil whine.

Some updates from my experiences with it since i got it i think what, September?

Now i have upgraded from a 760 to a MSI GTX 780 Ti and no problems what so ever regarding performance.
The rest of the specs i have a 2700k / 8 Gb ddr3 1600 / 1x ssd / 1x 2.5 hdd / 4x fans.
So that should be what, almost 400w ?

The psu is doing a very good job, i sense only a little more heat coming out of it but kinda seams the same.
So yeah no problems regarding performance and the fan in full gamimg load i can't hear it, the other ones are making most of the noise.

The only problem is in idle sometimes the psu's fan starts to sing - imagine like those twirls / relaxing music - don't know how to describe it :)
Again sometimes and it's very faint like when your stomach growls :) but then passes.

Ah and it is a v1 btw.

Three questions to ask:

#1 Has anyone modified an SFX PSU casing to slim it's 63.5mm dimension?

#2 How much clearance is there between the fan and the components underneath?

#3 Would I have an issue if my radiator fans pushed warm air through the PSU and exhausted it?

#4 If yes to #3, could I remove the PSU fan and let the pull fan do the cooling?

I've done this, Joe. I'm on my mobile now, but search for my Compact Splash build log thread.

I've done this, Joe. I'm on my mobile now, but search for my Compact Splash build log thread.

Hey Wisk. As soon as I read your sentence it dawned on me. I've been through your Compact Splash build log a couple times before! My only problem is that I don't have the tools or skills to build a custom enclosure for this PSU and was just thinking of modifying the existing housing.

How many mm's could I shave off by removing the fan and cutting the housing back before I hit components?

Last edited:
Hey Wisk. As soon as I read your sentence it dawned on me. I've been through your Compact Splash build log a couple times before! My only problem is that I don't have the tools or skills to build a custom enclosure for this PSU and was just thinking of modifying the existing housing.

How many mm's could I shave off by removing the fan and cutting the housing back before I hit components?

Unfortunately you can't reduce the height only by moving the fan. Next to the fan is the line filter and the power socket. You need to move those elsewhere too.

You can see how it looks inside on the [H] review, under Internal Build Quality
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/08/26/silverstone_sfx_sx600g_600w_power_supply_review/3

Quick question about this psu's fan mode. Specs for this psu state that the "fanless mode deactivates when psu's internal temp reaches 45C." Does this also mean that if the internal temp. falls back under 45C the fan shuts off again?

Sorry, wasn't able to find an answer within the first few pages. I just received the new SX500-LG and while the psu starts up on fanless mode, it never goes back to it once it starts spinning (and I'm pretty sure the intenal temps have been low enough for this to occur, if it can occur).

I know my unit, and several other people in this thread have mentioned it, once the fan starts it doesn't stop on its own.

On the SX500-LG, not sure who but someone else who got it said their's spins up and down like you'd expect.

Quick question about this psu's fan mode. Specs for this psu state that the "fanless mode deactivates when psu's internal temp reaches 45C." Does this also mean that if the internal temp. falls back under 45C the fan shuts off again?

Sorry, wasn't able to find an answer within the first few pages. I just received the new SX500-LG and while the psu starts up on fanless mode, it never goes back to it once it starts spinning (and I'm pretty sure the intenal temps have been low enough for this to occur, if it can occur).

Both SX600-G and SX500-LG's fan can stop after starting up. But the load you put on must be low enough for the internal component (not the ambient air inside the PSU) to reach down to their specified equilibrium temperature for the fan to stop.

Both SX600-G and SX500-LG's fan can stop after starting up. But the load you put on must be low enough for the internal component (not the ambient air inside the PSU) to reach down to their specified equilibrium temperature for the fan to stop.

Thanks for responding. It's funny because this morning it's really cold (ambient temp) and I jut put the PSU under the heaviest load I could and the fan has not come on yet, and last night the PC was practically doing nothing at all for several hours and the fan would not stop spinning. I'll keep watching to see how this works I guess.

Last edited:
So there is a temperature sensor inside the PSU that decides whether the fan should run or not? Nothing else involved? Can this sensor be monitored?

Unfortunately you can't reduce the height only by moving the fan. Next to the fan is the line filter and the power socket. You need to move those elsewhere too.

You can see how it looks inside on the [H] review, under Internal Build Quality
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/08/26/silverstone_sfx_sx600g_600w_power_supply_review/3

Thanks a bunch for the link WiSk. I think for my purposes I could just relocate the line filter/power socket to just outside the PSU.

So about 13mm is the most I can shave off after removing the line filter?

So there is a temperature sensor inside the PSU that decides whether the fan should run or not? Nothing else involved? Can this sensor be monitored?

It's a thermistor connected to the PCB. There doesn't seem to be any microcontroller, so I believe it controls the fan directly. That would mean there's no way to monitor it, but I can't be 100% sure.

Thanks a bunch for the link WiSk. I think for my purposes I could just relocate the line filter/power socket to just outside the PSU.

So about 13mm is the most I can shave off after removing the line filter?

Maybe a little more if you mill down the standoffs that the PCB screws into. The enclosure I made is 50mm high, so that's 13.5mm less than stock.

Even if you don't have the tools to make a new enclosure yourself, it's a pretty simple box. Perhaps a local metal shop can make such a thing for you.

Not sure I understand how this is supposed to be working in relation to temp and load.

After a cold boot, I can leave everything idle and the fan will always spin up after ~15 minutes. I can continue to let it idle forever, and the chattery fan has not once ever shut off again.

Load should be the same during the initial 15 minutes of fan off time as it is anytime afterward, and the temp inside the PSU shouldn't be increasing much after that point either (intake is direct air from outside the case exhausting directly outside the top of the case).

The only time my SX600-G fan shuts off is when the system is powered down, in sleep, or during the first 15 minutes after cold boot or wake from sleep.

The only time my SX600-G fan shuts off is when the system is powered down, in sleep, or during the first 15 minutes after cold boot or wake from sleep.

It takes a while, but mine spins down again after load if i leave it idle, but i think the "equilibrium temperatures" are low enough that even mild load on the system can prevent it from happening. If I am at my computer after gaming doing work/hardforum/google etc. then it seems to stay on for as long as I can keep my attention on it, but if i leave the computer for half an hour or so (never timed it so take it with a grain of salt), the fan is off. I have sleep mode disabled btw.

Well, I have confirmed mine is making a horrible tweeting sound as well. Warranty will soon be voided.

Well, I have confirmed mine is making a horrible tweeting sound as well. Warranty will soon be voided.

Just an FYI, my SX600-G tweeted only once after each cold boot, or after waking from sleep (when the fan turned on). It did this consistently for the first few months, but has stopped tweeting entirely. Not 100% sure, but I think it's been a couple months since I've heard the birdy chirp at all (just clacking fan, of course).

Just an FYI, my SX600-G tweeted only once after each cold boot, or after waking from sleep (when the fan turned on). It did this consistently for the first few months, but has stopped tweeting entirely. Not 100% sure, but I think it's been a couple months since I've heard the birdy chirp at all (just clacking fan, of course).

Well, since my rig is lightly loaded without a GPU at the moment, it goes on and off all the time. I can perhaps leave it on while at work, to see if it improves over time.

Maybe whatever it was rubbing against wore down enough such that it's no longer causing audible friction.

Picked up a

Silverstone Tek 500W SFX-L 80 PlUS Gold Full Modular SFX Form Factor Lengthened Active PFC

Just a tad longer then a SFX to support a almost silent 120mm fan.

Last edited:
Picked up a Silverstone SST-SG13B from the ebay seller.

The build quality IS on the lower side but not terrible..
Fitting the top case cover reminds of something from a decade ago. Mostly the front plastic cover is iffy . The power switch cable is glued onto the power button and that pulled right out.. Plastic screw points that will snap if to much pressure.

That being said... I absolutely love this case. Fits a 980, 140mm case fan. I felt I have plenty of room to work with. It was a joy to put together.

Wish Silverstone or another manufacture would exactly the same concept except fit a MicroATX.

SST-SG13B after further review has piss poor build quality. The size, the lay out the design are great.. the build quality blows..

I have just bought one of these.. arrived today

on the box it says its v1.0... should I be mad at this? shall I ring up the retailer and ask if they have a v1.1 or is it just a luck of the draw?

pmU0Kebl.jpg

z90ZmGWl.jpg

wVn4vAal.jpg

cZga7Fnl.jpg

Q7qtRZFl.jpg

fuUPcQ9l.jpg

u79cp8dl.jpg

0UpgtkBl.jpg

did v1.1 fix your problem?

as I have a titan z waiting to go in the M1.. but your post is making me think its a bad idea

Fan bearing noise (ie, ticking/galloping/chattering)..

Was cleaning out my filters tonight and for the heck of it, grabbed a flashlight and a plastic pen cap to make sure there weren't any stray wires that the PSU fan could be rubbing against (didn't appear to be). Not sure why, but I decided to take the pen cap and push down on the center spindle/hub through one of the 4 round center holes in the fan guard (reference pic below), thinking that maybe it was brushing against the outer fan guard. Pushed the fan up/down/up/down over and over for about a minute, and then pushed it down while spinning the blades with another pen cap.

Unless I'm completely delusional, the perceived chattering at idle has diminished significantly. I can still faintly hear the same ticking sound (which is still noticeable in a quiet room, and still annoying), but now at a noticeably lower volume. Also, the chatter now has more of a raspy/scratchy tone (lower-pitched, and reminded me of my 450W, but nowhere near as bad).

EDIT: Okay, ran some stress tests to try and get some heat into the PSU and get the fan spinning faster. Sounded about the same as always, until I stopped and let everything idle and cool back down.. chattering at idle was back to being the higher-pitched ticking sound (perhaps just a tad quieter than it was, but still much more noticeable than it was before the tests). Less rasp/scratch, and more tick/squeak.

Wtf.. almost thought I was on to something. Turn the radio back on, begin mumbling some nasty thoughts about how much I've grown to hate Silverstone because of this..

:confused:

p0FVzP0.jpg

So I just built my first ITX computer today, and I was aiming for silence when not under load. To that end, I outfitted it with a Strix 980, a Corsair H100i GTX with 2 intake 120mm Noctua NF-F12 PWM with low voltage adaptors, and 1 140mm noctua exhaust fan with a low voltage adapter as well.

At first everything seemed to be running silently as hoped, but then I started hearing a constant A/C level of loudness whirring noise from the case. I set Corsair link to quiet mode, fans to silent mode, and the 980's fans naturally do not spin unless under load.

I don't hear any "pump noise," the noctuas are all spinning at ~600 RPM, and the Strix has no fans running at all, yet I still here this annoying fan whir noise. Is the culprit my SX600-G? It is a brand new V1.1 model, but the little fan spins constantly idle or not, and I can't think of anything else that would be making that noise.

So my question is, is my PSU defective, or is this PSU just notoriously loud???

EDIT: I can't verify the PSU Temperature, but that area of my case feels really hot compared to everywhere else.

Last edited:
aiming for silence and then adding a AIO water cooler + pressure optimized fans...?

AIO pumps will always make some noise.
NF-F12s aren't really that silent.

aiming for silence and then adding a AIO water cooler + pressure optimized fans...?

AIO pumps will always make some noise.
NF-F12s aren't really that silent.

Was rather hoping the AIO in quiet mode would be silent at idle, or at least that's what the advertising indicated. Fans are silent though from what I can tell. Noise does appear to be some combination of the PSU and the Radiator.

Are you sure you know how the pump sounds?

Yeah I think I definitely made a mistake here. When I think of "pump noise" I was expecting to hear the grinding noise on all those youtube videos. It sounds more like a tiny refrigerator. I may have been expecting too much from the AIO :(

Although I am still curious why the SX600's fan constantly spins, when I thought it wasn't supposed to at idle?

It doesn't stop spinning when your PC is idle, it looks at the temperature inside the PSU:

sx600-g-06.jpg

For some people, it means it will be fanless when idle, but that's mainly when there is some airflow towards the PSU and a low load.

Hello, I've been having a problem with my PSU.

My monitors would both lose signal then my audio would cut out and I would have to do a hard reset.

I think it's my PSU at fault (600W SFX), but it should be more than enough for a 980/i5.

I'm using an NCASE M1.

Any ideas?

EDIT: Here are my specs http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Commander_/saved/Vv2xFT

I have a 600W instead of a 450W PSU now.

I've had the same problem with my ST45SF-G and I've seen others too. The Demciflex filters are really really dense which make a huge difference in airflow and thus cooling. Mind you, I'm assuming you know your CPU and GPU aren't unstable or overheating.

Back