Silverstone SST-SX600-G 600w Gold SFX

I don't think it's really as bad as it seems, my unit does make a bit of noise when the fan spins up, but after that it's pretty quiet in general. My other fans in the case drown it out quite handily, since the case is situated to my right side and the PSU fan is facing away from me.

With mine, it'll emit a sound like a bomb dropping then when that sound is done, the fan starts making chattering noise that stays until the PC is shut down.

Is this PSU really as bad as everyone says it is? I was holding out for the SX500 SFX-L but it looks like they used some 2nd tier secondary caps so I am a little disappointed. If the SX600 isn't really that bad I'd rather get more power so I can overclock a little down the road. Thanks for any insight, this forum is a gold mine of information!

I honestly don't know what all the fuss is about.

My NCase M1 v2 has been running for months with a Silverstone SST-SX600-G 600W Gold SFX power supply (v1.1), and I have yet to notice it.

Yes, if I put my ear right up against the filter covering the fan's intake I can certainly hear the rush of the air being sucked in, but that's it. No chirping, no buzzing, no nothing. Just a well behaved PS. I'm a happy camper.

Your mileage may vary.

My NCase M1 v2 has been running for months with a Silverstone SST-SX600-G 600W Gold SFX power supply (v1.1), and I have yet to notice it.

Yes, if I put my ear right up against the filter covering the fan's intake I can certainly hear the rush of the air being sucked in, but that's it. No chirping, no buzzing, no nothing. Just a well behaved PS. I'm a happy camper.

Your mileage may vary.

That's what the f'ing fuss is about. You got a "good one".

Your mileage may vary.

Dang.. I'll trade you for both my SX600-G v1.0 and ST45SF-G v2.0 ;)

The rush of air I hear sounds rather.. mechanical. Guess it's not *that* bad.. but I'm still super pissed about spending $240 for 2 absolute shit PSUs every time I'm within a few feet of my build. Honestly, Silverstone should be fucking embarrassed to have their name on it, and Tony should be in here offering some of us RMAs for a v1.1 or v1.2 or whatever SFX PSU they have that doesn't sound like a constantly ticking time bomb.

Synomenon described it perfectly.. it's just an annoying PSU that makes annoying noises.

I'm hearing a "cherry-picked SX600-G for sale at 150% price" topic coming up :D

Then you're either incredibly lucky and got a golden sample, or you have hearing problems. :D

I've been sitting on one of these for a couple of months and finally ready to put my build together in the M1. I'm not really looking forward to all the noise everyone is talking about. Fingers crossed...

I can confirm as noted earlier. I need to open my M1v2 case and come closely to hear the fan of the SX600 v1.1 - again not sure what they done compared to the v1.0 but my PSU is silent. Once I game, the fan is not louder then the other fans in the case (Corsair SP120; EVGA FTW GTX970).

I think this thread is a case of the few that have issues being very active, while those of us who don't don't.
The most likely conclusion to you guys not agreeing with the reviews/reviewers is that you got the shorter straw or have unrealistic expectancies.

There will be compromises in SFF for a while still. It is to be expected. That does not make this a bad product.

My expectation was that the SX600 would handle loads close to 600w and that it would get loud doing so. Right now mine is like that, BUT it also comes with the annoying noises I am not used to hearing from a PSU. Even my old ST45SF and ST45SF-G did not make these kinds of noises.

I think this thread is a case of the few that have issues being very active, while those of us who don't don't.
The most likely conclusion to you guys not agreeing with the reviews/reviewers is that you got the shorter straw or have unrealistic expectancies.

There will be compromises in SFF for a while still. It is to be expected. That does not make this a bad product.

You have a point.

Personally, my two biggest gripes are:
  • I can't see it operating as a semi-fanless PSU, at least at the temperatures I've observed
  • the fan is low quality and undervolted

With the 450w unit, it at least appeared that various revisions alleviated some issues like the choice of fan from the 1.0 version. It seems silly to me that those same issues are cropping up again. But in this form factor, I agree - compromises.

Holy hardware cramming batman. Sweet build

I'd honestly ditch the dual pump top, you really can get away with a single pump (im running a single mcp350 and flow rates are fine.)

If you have a killawatt you can figure out how much the power supply is pulling under load, if it is indeed the limit you should consider picking up that addon PSU I mentioned.

I forgot to mention that in my testing I had the pumps running off a different power supply to check if the pumps were causing the issue.

Dang.. I'll trade you for both my SX600-G v1.0 and ST45SF-G v2.0 ;)

The rush of air I hear sounds rather.. mechanical. Guess it's not *that* bad.. but I'm still super pissed about spending $240 for 2 absolute shit PSUs every time I'm within a few feet of my build. Honestly, Silverstone should be fucking embarrassed to have their name on it, and Tony should be in here offering some of us RMAs for a v1.1 or v1.2 or whatever SFX PSU they have that doesn't sound like a constantly ticking time bomb.

Synomenon described it perfectly.. it's just an annoying PSU that makes annoying noises.

I agree, it's without doubt the noisiest PSU I've ever owned. Apart from the ticking bomb sound, mine crackles constantly, like a hard drive working in the background. Then there's the coil whine, but of course I can't say for sure whether that is due to a combination of my PC components, or the PSU.

Regardless, I'll switch out my SX600 the very instant a better option becomes available, and I wouldn't recommend the SX600 to anyone, unless they had no other choice.

My expectation was that the SX600 would handle loads close to 600w and that it would get loud doing so. Right now mine is like that, BUT it also comes with the annoying noises I am not used to hearing from a PSU. Even my old ST45SF and ST45SF-G did not make these kinds of noises.

You have a point.

Personally, my two biggest gripes are:
  • I can't see it operating as a semi-fanless PSU, at least at the temperatures I've observed
  • the fan is low quality and undervolted

With the 450w unit, it at least appeared that various revisions alleviated some issues like the choice of fan from the 1.0 version. It seems silly to me that those same issues are cropping up again. But in this form factor, I agree - compromises.

It's not like the market is overflowing with this size of fans with enough oomph. But if the fan wasn't runnning on these low voltages then replacing it would be easier. This means that the fan controller is probably where the biggest room for improvement is, but then again, there might be a reason, beyond my level of intelligence, for why they whent with this low voltage. That and I don't see any PSU manuafacturers going out of their way to make it easier for us to mod our PSUs as it can be VERY dangerous.

The problem with the fan seems to be mainly because it's one that has issues at the starting voltage (which one don't ? many do). The issue is that a replacement isn't available because the "fan controller" just ramps up voltage from 0 to 6V (if I'm correct) which most fans would not start on. If they included a proper PWM-driven fan and controller, the problems with the PSU would be just a few people with coil whine and the retro bomb dropping sound we still don't know what is causing it.

I agree, it's without doubt the noisiest PSU I've ever owned. Apart from the ticking bomb sound, mine crackles constantly, like a hard drive working in the background. Then there's the coil whine, but of course I can't say for sure whether that is due to a combination of my PC components, or the PSU.

Regardless, I'll switch out my SX600 the very instant a better option becomes available, and I wouldn't recommend the SX600 to anyone, unless they had no other choice.

I have just finished a gaming session. My M1 panels are hot to the touch. My GPU fans have ramped down again and now i can't hear anything but a slight air woosh from the GPU fans and a barely audible fan noise from the PSU. The case is sitting on my desk about 1m from my head, and there is nothing wrong with my hearing. I would happily reccomend this to someone else, and from what you're describing, i would return it. It doesn't sound right.

I have just finished a gaming session. My M1 panels are hot to the touch. My GPU fans have ramped down again and now i can't hear anything but a slight air woosh from the GPU fans and a barely audible fan noise from the PSU. The case is sitting on my desk about 1m from my head, and there is nothing wrong with my hearing. I would happily reccomend this to someone else, and from what you're describing, i would return it. It doesn't sound right.

Well all of these noises have been confirmed by other people in the thread so it's the case with quite a few of the units. I could try and return it and pray that I receive a V1.1, but that would leave me without a PSU and PC maybe for weeks. I can't be bothered at this point tbh.

Hi guys!
I'm going to buy SX600-G for my upcoming SFF gaming rig. But reading your posts I'm starting to doubt. Anyway seems there is nothing else I can go. So here is the main question. Is stock FAN swappable or not? I've read in other thread guys swapping FAN in 450W model. But is it possible also for 600W? Or due to the low starting voltage we can do nothing here?

If they included a proper PWM-driven fan and controller, the problems with the PSU would be just a few people with coil whine and the retro bomb dropping sound we still don't know what is causing it.

Exactly, that would be my wish for a v2.0, or a more expensive "PWM Deluxe Edition". I wouldn't mind paying a premium for it.

I think the bomb-drop/bird-chirp is fan related as well; I saw somebody mentioning the ball bearings as an explanation.

Hi guys!
I'm going to buy SX600-G for my upcoming SFF gaming rig. But reading your posts I'm starting to doubt. Anyway seems there is nothing else I can go. So here is the main question. Is stock FAN swappable or not? I've read in other thread guys swapping FAN in 450W model. But is it possible also for 600W? Or due to the low starting voltage we can do nothing here?

For now, the low voltage range of the "fan controller" is a show-stopper when it comes to fan replacement, since there's no suitable replacement candidate available anywhere. This can of course change in the future.

But, the fan is still a LOT quieter than the 450W model, and chances are you won't be bothered by the quirky noises as much as some of us are. I'd still buy it if I were you.

If 450W is enough, you could of course get one of those instead, and do a fan swap. But then you'll lose the warranty, and I don't know how a fan-swapped 450W is compared to a stock 600W, noise-wise?

... and I don't know how a fan-swapped 450W is compared to a stock 600W, noise-wise?

Despite the lower rpms of the stock fan in the SX600-G, compared to the Noiseblocker mod in the ST45SF-G, the former has a kind of scratchy quality. As if the bearing is dry or something.

Despite the lower rpms of the stock fan in the SX600-G, compared to the Noiseblocker mod in the ST45SF-G, the former has a kind of scratchy quality. As if the bearing is dry or something.

100% agree. There is just something messed up with this particular fan.

When I putting the system into hibernation and the coil whine was disappear...
But still happened when powered off and plugged into a power outlet.
:mad:

Just posting to let potential buyers know that the chirping sound that came whenever I booted after letting the pc cool down is gone now.

Interesting. I have had mine for a month now and the chirping still happens all the every time I turn my PC on and it has been running for a few minutes.

Stressing the PC for long periods of time hasn't done anything to make this chirping go away.

I'm curious why you haven't sent it back for RMA. It's obvious you dislike it and it won't fix itself most likely.

Work reasons. Can't have my PC down while I wait for a replacement PSU. I doubt what they send me will be any better.

I received mine and it is a v1.1 so I will report on if its quieter like one forum poster stated. I really don't know what the differences are between the two versions. I am waiting for my M1 to show up, but once it does i will report back.

I check back on this thread every once in a while to see if the issues are resolved. I am amazed how this thread just keeps on growing and growing over the same old issues. 64 pages now! Semifanless? Fail. Coil whine? Fail. Fan noise? Fail. Among other issues.

I have made my final decision. This PSU is a complete failure, except for a few golden samples acquired by the lucky few. Also, I understand some people just don't care about quiet hardware.

If v1.1 improves everything, great. It would be worthy of a whole new thread. If not, I have a feeling this thread will keep growing with more of the same...

An option is perhaps to use something like the NoiseMagic NMT-2/ or -3 pcb to replace the internal fan regulation entirely. It works by having a thermal sensor, and regulate the fan between 5 and 12V. That should make for more fan options.
http://www.noisemagic.de/info/nmt-2/info.htm#english

Not sure if it would work well, but I do have one of these NMT-2 units in spare from years back. If the fan is such a hassle, I might as well just try.

I check back on this thread every once in a while to see if the issues are resolved. I am amazed how this thread just keeps on growing and growing over the same old issues. 64 pages now! Semifanless? Fail. Coil whine? Fail. Fan noise? Fail. Among other issues.

I have made my final decision. This PSU is a complete failure, except for a few golden samples acquired by the lucky few. Also, I understand some people just don't care about quiet hardware.

If v1.1 improves everything, great. It would be worthy of a whole new thread. If not, I have a feeling this thread will keep growing with more of the same...

I feel you're statement about it being a complete failure is as blown out of proportion as this whole thread has been. Is it noisy? Some seem to think so, but so far mine has been fine. I do have the v1.1 and haven't tested it fully yet, but it honestly is quieter than my stock Intel cooler I was using on my build while I waited for my H100i to come in. If there were problems like it blowing up, shorting out other components, not hitting its efficiency rating, or not delivering the power it states it can, then sure call it a complete failure, but only if more than one of those things were true. So far its quiet enough that I don't hear it and if the fan kicks up under load this weekend when I really test it out, I bet it'll be drowned out by my GPU blower. I will report back regardless because being a v1.1 I think alot of people would like to know my experience with it.

Yeah, I think people are overreacting as well. I even posted videos with the noise, but I don't think there's any way you could hear it over a movie, music or game...

I wouldn't mind the noise, but the components they used in this PSU seem to be a downgrade compared to the 450 Gold version. Won't be touching this with a stick

I have just a general question about some of the capacitors that are on the secondary and if it really is as bad as it seems to be judging from responses in this thread. Are the Suscons really that bad? I know for a fact its not all suscons on the secondary, just a few mixed in with some teapo, taicon, and nippon chemi-con.

This is what is making me question the claim they are really so bad still, 10 or so years later: http://www.corsair.com/en-us/blog/2013/december/power-supply-capacitor-q-and-a

If I shouldn't believe this article please tell me because I want to know why I shouldn't.

Im not asking if they are the best, I am just asking are they really as bad as everyone seems to think to warrant completely dismissing the product despite great reviews? I mean really, the only negative thing said in reviews are those caps being included.

Well $130 is quite the price for a 600W unit. If the fan is noisy and the caps aren't top tier, then is it really worth it?

Im not asking if they are the best, I am just asking are they really as bad as everyone seems to think to warrant completely dismissing the product despite great reviews? I mean really, the only negative thing said in reviews are those caps being included.

They aren't as bad as people are claiming around here

Well $130 is quite the price for a 600W unit. If the fan is noisy and the caps aren't top tier, then is it really worth it?

It's not just a 600w unit, it's 600w in an impressively small form factor that certain cases are really designed to go hand in hand with (Steambox, Ncase M1, anything else requiring SFX). Certain builds require it since the case doesn't support anything physically larger, and certain builds are much more difficult to pull off cleanly without it. It's a niche product for sure, but there are definitely use cases for it

Last edited:
An option is perhaps to use something like the NoiseMagic NMT-2/ or -3 pcb to replace the internal fan regulation entirely. It works by having a thermal sensor, and regulate the fan between 5 and 12V. That should make for more fan options.
http://www.noisemagic.de/info/nmt-2/info.htm#english

Not sure if it would work well, but I do have one of these NMT-2 units in spare from years back. If the fan is such a hassle, I might as well just try.

It's an interesting idea, but I don't think it will fit out-of-the-box. I might order one of those to try.

Back