Silverstone SST-SX600-G 600w Gold SFX

Guys, I just installed my GTX 970 (Gigabyte Gaming G1). Ambient is 74F. PSU fan now spins up under idle, even with the 120 mm fan and duct mod. So the mod really isn't worth it, unless you are running integrated graphics. I'll probably remove the duct and turn the PSU around so that it gets fresh air from outside the case.

WiSK, any news in regard to the replacement fan?

EDIT: Just another update - I've been using the machine for over an hour this morning. PSU fan hasn't come on yet. Ambient of 69F. Haven't taxed the GPU at all yet, whereas I did last night. Maybe the PSU just got significantly hotter due to the GPU loading (I was actually running Prime95 and Furmark last night, when the PSU fan wouldn't stop spinning at idle). So perhaps it'll just take longer for the duct mod to have an effect after gaming etc. Obviously I have more testing to do.

Last edited:
Fans were sent to me but not received yet. SX600-G itself still waiting on European distributor to get the second lot of PSUs and send them out. At the moment I'm presuming: not before 20th October.

Fans were sent to me but not received yet. SX600-G itself still waiting on European distributor to get the second lot of PSUs and send them out. At the moment I'm presuming: not before 20th October.

Do you know if the fans have the correct connector on them? Or are they just bare wires?

Finally got my unit on Friday evening. It made some weird high pitched noises occasionally. Then I started folding@home to see how it copes with some stress. Haven't heard anything since Saturday.

The replacement fans haven't come yet, but I picked up a cheap rpm-measurement device so that I can analyse volts-rpm of the AD0812UX-D91GP.

Finally got my unit on Friday evening. It made some weird high pitched noises occasionally. Then I started folding@home to see how it copes with some stress. Haven't heard anything since Saturday.

The replacement fans haven't come yet, but I picked up a cheap rpm-measurement device so that I can analyse volts-rpm of the AD0812UX-D91GP.

I got my unit a few days back and also initially heard an enormous amount of coil whine every time I moved my mouse. This disappeared after a short time and I haven't heard anything since. I hope it stays that way. ;)

EDIT: Scratch that, still getting coil whine. Seems to happen both when I move my mouse and when there is HDD activity. Have I gotten a faulty product? Should I return it and get a new one?

Last edited:
Tbh it's a bit worrisome to me. My last PSU was Corsair and it was solid as a rock, not a peep and I had it for years. I just hope the SX600-G holds up...

Funny that these seem to have a "break-in period".

I wrote before I had the unit, that I suspected the coil whine just needs some heat to fix. The white hotglue they use in PSUs will get a bit soft in the warmth and that would help vibrations.

It seems to fit what I experienced. I've purposely run the unit at load (~200W) for the last 72 hours straight and now cannot hear any whining at all. I will keep checking, but I very much recommend people run this PSU harder than idle for some hours and see if things improve.

Regarding the stock fan. If I put my ear up right up against the fan, then I do hear a rough noise, maybe from the bearings.

I wrote before I had the unit, that I suspected the coil whine just needs some heat to fix. The white hotglue they use in PSUs will get a bit soft in the warmth and that would help vibrations.

You may be right. I started hearing a little whine over the weekend during another abrupt cold snap. Ran AIDA64 stress test for a few minutes and it went away (same thing that seemed to fix it a month ago).

Whenever I finally get a GPU, I plan on running another longer stress test and try to get some actual heat and current flowing through this sucker.

EDIT: Scratch that, still getting coil whine. Seems to happen both when I move my mouse and when there is HDD activity. Have I gotten a faulty product? Should I return it and get a new one?

I've had motherboards that whined during mouse movement, are you sure it's the PSU whining?

Either way, it's not necessarily a faulty component, some combinations of PSU and mobo will whine and it's just the luck of the draw.

Received some fans. They were the ball-bearing version, not the hydro bearings version. AD0812UB-D91GP instead of AD0812UX-D91GP. Have opened a Paypal dispute :)

(Would still be interested to test these as well, but more interested in getting my money back.)

I've had motherboards that whined during mouse movement, are you sure it's the PSU whining?

Either way, it's not necessarily a faulty component, some combinations of PSU and mobo will whine and it's just the luck of the draw.

The whining started when I replaced my PSU. I was running the same setup with a corsair PSU before without any whine. Btw the coil whine has disappeared again, I'm starting to think it could indeed have something to do with temperature. :confused:

Received some fans. They were the ball-bearing version, not the hydro bearings version. AD0812UB-D91GP instead of AD0812UX-D91GP. Have opened a Paypal dispute :)

That's a bummer, was really interested to see how they performed.

Well both types of fans are still listed on the website of the etailer I ordered from. I'm still hoping for a good resolution of the dispute and that they will offer to exchange the fans to the correct type at no cost to myself.

The whining started when I replaced my PSU. I was running the same setup with a corsair PSU before without any whine. Btw the coil whine has disappeared again, I'm starting to think it could indeed have something to do with temperature. :confused:
Coil whine is the combination of hardware that causes it. So a certain GPU on a certain motherboard on a certain PSU will cause coil whine, while another GPU, motherboard or PSU won't. It can also be something temporary, as a few SX600-G owners here have already experienced.

Well both types of fans are still listed on the website of the etailer I ordered from. I'm still hoping for a good resolution of the dispute and that they will offer to exchange the fans to the correct type at no cost to myself.

Update: they did have the fans (enough to get a photo originally). Now they suddenly don't have them in stock. They are sending the ball bearing type of fan out because it's mechanically/electrically compatible. They are only offering me "money back guarantee" if I send the incorrect fans back, at my own cost for shipping. :rolleyes:

What I found out from a Russian forum, was that the AD0812UX-D91GP was most likely on the market because it was used in a 300W SFX PSU that is included in the InWin BK644 case. It indicates any stock of this fan is likely over 3 years old.

Pretty much all websites selling these have the same picture of the fan, with the same markings. So I don't think I can source them from anywhere else.

They are sending the ball bearing type of fan out because it's mechanically/electrically compatible. They are only offering me "money back guarantee" if I send the incorrect fans back, at my own cost for shipping. :rolleyes:

Assholes. They really shouldn't get away with that.

Worse is of course that there appears to be no way to get hold of that fan model anymore. :(

Hi anybody make a FAN mod (like put a Blacknoise fan for exemple) in this PSU¿

i get Tomorrow a Noiseblocker 80x80x15 and monday the PSU...

thanks

Hi anybody make a FAN mod (like put a Blacknoise fan for exemple) in this PSU¿

i get Tomorrow a Noiseblocker 80x80x15 and monday the PSU...

thanks

Do NOT use the Noiseblocker 80x15 in the SX600-G. PSU components will overheat.

If you search the thread you can see there has been some discussion and testing about this.

To put some load on it continuously for a few days, like running a Folding@Home app in the background, to eliminate coil whine if you have it. No need to 100% stress it for two days, but more load than idle or browsing.

The fan chatter people seem to have is apparently happening at the low-end of the rpm curve, so it might happen if the load on the PSU is too high to have fan stay off and to low to enable higher rpm on the fan. Some people have had gains by having a 120mm fan bow air into the PSU's fan, this would allow the fanless mode to stay off (longer or until you put load on it).

But it depends. There are also people just plain happy with the very minimal noise the PSU makes. Some people were expecting it to be silent, that was unrealistic.

To put some load on it continuously for a few days, like running a Folding@Home app in the background, to eliminate coil whine if you have it. No need to 100% stress it for two days, but more load than idle or browsing.

So it might be possible to "break it in" to eliminate the coil whine? Interesting. Don't have mine yet but I'm anxious to see how my hardware combo works with it.

That's what I gather from people's experiences in this forum. Some were complaining about coil whine with first use but after a while it stopped. I remember one or two people having coil whine when idle and after putting some load on it for extended periods of time, it stopped. Don't quote me on this, it's just a thought. WiSK already mentioned this earlier as a possibility.

Last edited:
That's the idea I gather from people's experiences in this forum. Some were complaining about coil whine with first use but after a while it stopped. I remember one or two people having coil whine when idle and after putting some load on it for extended periods of time, it stopped. Don't quote me on this, it's just an idea I have.

I see. Worth a try if it becomes an issue.
Right now availability is a far bigger issue for me than coil whine. I originally had a two week wait, and now it's been pushed to mid November.

Have we heard about production issues or is it just that popular? If it't the latter the SFF market is bigger than i thought. It would be intresting to know how many of these they make in a month.

in alternate.de have stock

I ordered from Dustinhome.no (Norway), which is the only online store that had an ETA on it. A few days ago it got pushed to november, but i just came home from work to a very nice e-mail stating my stuff had left the warehouse, so i have no idea what is going on. they currently have 8 in stock. Happy days;-)

Installed mine yesterday. With my ear right by the psu I noticed the whine, but it's not that bad when in the case.
I'm just really happy I can OC my 780 Ti without my computer rebooting now.

Rig built. Very happy with it. The SX-600G is performing very well. The chirping sound from the fan when in "trying to decide wether or not to spin"-mode was way louder than i expected though. Considered giving the PSU som incidetal airflow from a 120mm fan on the side of my M1, but reconsidered. I would rather the fan spin. Fan nois is neglectable. Its there, but you do have to look for it.
Had no coil whine until yesterday. Overvolted my 580 to be able to run Assassins Creed. That game does not like 580s. The coil whine was very intense, but after an hour of load it was significantly reduced. I'm hoping putting load on it for more time wil further improve it as people here have implied.

I have one question though. Does anyone know if it is possible to get hold of the exact (or very similar) ribbon cabling somwhere? Most of the cables need shortening, which is fine, but my 8-pin EPS cable need to be longer for me to route it where i want. Frozen CPU sell "corsair-style" black ribbon cables in differet sizes but i own a corsair PSU with ribbon cables and they ar WAY stiffer than the soft ones from Silverstone and not ideal.

I have one question though. Does anyone know if it is possible to get hold of the exact (or very similar) ribbon cabling somwhere? Most of the cables need shortening, which is fine, but my 8-pin EPS cable need to be longer for me to route it where i want. Frozen CPU sell "corsair-style" black ribbon cables in differet sizes but i own a corsair PSU with ribbon cables and they ar WAY stiffer than the soft ones from Silverstone and not ideal.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812162043

The EPS 8-Pin is actually 50mm shorter on the PP05-E set. Most cables on that set are shorter, and one is longer vs the SX600-G kit. You can see the length comparison here..

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1041115907&postcount=932

Silverstone makes a universal EPS extension cable that will add 300mm (SST-PP07-EPS8B), which would give you a 700mm cable with the stock EPS, or 750mm with the PP05-E EPS. They also make two different direct replacement EPS cables for Silverstone PSUs.. one that is 550mm (SST-PP06B-EPS55) and one that is 750mm (SST-PP06B-EPS75) in length.

None of these options are an exact match aesthetically to the flat ribbon style of the SX600-G and PP05-E kits, but should be close enough.

Tldr;

350mm = PP05-E
400mm = SX600-G
550mm = PP06B-EPS55
700mm = PP07-EPS8B + SX600-G
750mm = PP07-EPS8B + PP05-E
750mm = PP06B-EPS75

I'm sleepy, so double check the maths before ordering :D

Thanks. I, ve seen this. To specify a bit more i am after the cables only, with no pins/connectors or anything. Bare wire if you will. I did consider bying this set, but it's very easy to modify and shorten the cables that already come with the psu, except of course when you need a longer one, like i do:)

Well then..

MDPC-X in Europe - http://en.mdpc-x.com/
modDIY in Asia - http://www.moddiy.com/
Lutro0 Customs in US - http://modbunker.com/

Think these three are the most highly-regarded shops for both made-to-order cables and DIY cable parts. All of them ship worldwide.

Might also be able to find some wire and connectors at FrozenCPU and Performance-PCs, here in the US.

Well then..

MDPC-X in Europe - http://en.mdpc-x.com/
modDIY in Asia - http://www.moddiy.com/
Lutro0 Customs in US - http://modbunker.com/

Think these three are the most highly-regarded shops for both made-to-order cables and DIY cable parts. All of them ship worldwide.

Might also be able to find some wire and connectors at FrozenCPU and Performance-PCs, here in the US.

Nils is taking a break. In the meantime, I've found this shop in Poland to be good for sleeving and modding supplies: http://www.modding.bit-tech.pl/sklep/en/

But for wire: just get it locally not from modding shop: copper stranded 0,75mm2 core diameter, 2.0-2.3mm diameter insulation.

Heh, you guys are great, and I am utterly retarded in my communication skills it seems. I am sorry about that. I've been several times around the web researching sleeving and sleeving tools. It does however seem that the ribbon cables that come with this power supply is far more compact. Sleeving a wire makes it a lot more bulky. So i scrapped the entire thing once i settled for the M1 case. Now after my build I am not satisfied with the cable management result, so:
1. I will be shortening all but one of the existing cables in use (piece of cake).
2. The EPS plug is too short so I need to lengthen it. And herein lies my issue. I can go ahead and make a cable consisting of 8 individual wires and be done with it. BUT. I really like the soft ribbon cables. FrozenCPU sell those, but they are described as "Corsair Style". Corsairs ribbon cables are far more rigid that those from silverstone. I know, because i have an AX850 with ribbon style molex/sata cables. So what I was wondering if anyone know of somwhere where softer ones are avalable. This is a really knitpicky thing and probably not worth too much researching but it would be nice, thats all:) If there is no positive answer thare are both plan B (corsair style), Plan C (individual wires) and Plan D (Screw it).

^^ Short of hacking apart and piecing together wires from a PP05-E kit to form a longer EPS cable, I'd say hunt around locally for black wire that meets both WiSK's recommended specs and that closely matches the Silverstone wire (with your rigidity and soft-touch preference :D)..and then just build your own (plan C: black wires, unsleeved) either reusing the EPS connectors, or buying new ones (you'll still need to purchase new pins).

Then either get some extra-small black zip ties to bundle them in a flat, ribbon style (or maybe there's another way to fuse them.. clear tape on one side, or hot glue maybe?).

Personally, I'd say f'ck it and do a good job routing an EPS extension so it's mostly hidden. Or if your OCD is really that bad.. get a smaller case or different motherboard, where the stock EPS cable will reach :p

Back