Silverstone SST-ST30SF - semi-passive 300W SFX PSU

Hmm.. Mine has just failed after using it with an Intel Celeron G530 + HD7850 1GB for just over a week. That doesn't even reach 200W on max load, not very happy with it failing.

Funny thing is that this was a replacement for the Silverstone 450W unit that came with my Silverstone SG06 case and at that time it was powering the G530 + a HD4670 before it failed (which probably draws around 100W on load).

Maybe I just have bad luck but I've had quite a few PSUs in my life time from all sorts of brands and these two have been the only PSUs that have failed. Most annoying thing was when I tried to get a replacement for the SG06's 450W unit (which I bought in June 2011) but apparently they only provide a 2 year warranty for PSUs bundled with cases. (I tried to claim in Oct 2013).

Well not much I can do apart from hope that the replacement ST30SF doesn't give up the ghost.

Would this pull a gtx 670 and 3770k stock with a molex to six pin adaptor? My setup only draws 250 watt from the wall gaming.

I have an i5 3350, 660ti and the fan does not even start when i play GRID2. I use an 2xmolex to 6pin pci-e adapter. You will probably be fine depending on the rest of your build. Mine has one SSD, 3 fans, and the pump from the AIO WC.
Ps: I also have one fan facing the back of the psu, idk if it helps or not...

I have an i5 3350, 660ti and the fan does not even start when i play GRID2. I use an 2xmolex to 6pin pci-e adapter. You will probably be fine depending on the rest of your build. Mine has one SSD, 3 fans, and the pump from the AIO WC.
Ps: I also have one fan facing the back of the psu, idk if it helps or not...

To cover future upgrade has anyone tried an AMD R9 270X using the Molex to 6pin adaptor cable to connect second auxiliary power?

Going by power consumption values from TechPowerUp reviews it should be fine, as similar to a 660ti (ignoring the stress test maximum Furmark).
MSI 270X Gaming
MSI 270X Hawk

Unfortunately my unit started making clicking sounds in idle mode. Is this a well-known issue, can anybody confirm?
Will RMA my unit with shop and see what happens.

Unfortunately my unit started making clicking sounds in idle mode. Is this a well-known issue, can anybody confirm?
Will RMA my unit with shop and see what happens.

Interesting. It's not well-known issue for the ST30SF, but it is for the ST45SF-G when replacing the fan with a lower rpm model.

Anyone with an oscilloscope? Maybe there is some heavy voltage ripple on the fan power.

FYI: my ST30SF has still got the standard fan as I'm not into deep into electronics and soldering etc.

Maybe there is some heavy voltage ripple on the fan power.

Shouldn't the ST30SF fan be completely off at idle?

Maybe PSU temps are at a certain threshold where the fan just keeps kicking on and off?

I'm going to measure the wattage drawn at outlet this evening and post it. But it shouldn't be very much. I've got an i3 with 65w tdp and a passive 7850 with 130 tdp plus SSD, MB (obviously) and case fan.

Edit: the PSU case is cold, not the slightest hint of warmth.

So the whole system draws about 42w from the wall socket in desktop mode and the PSU is clicking and ticking, somewhat buzzing. I'm not the biggest expert in sound description but I hope you get the point.

Can you tell if the fan is on or off (when idle)?

Might help narrow things down, if we knew if this clicking/buzzing was coming from the fan or the capacitors. Either way, it's still probably best to RMA if possible, if you're not into changing the fan (if that's even the issue).

The fan is off, haven't seen it moving yet as I didn't put any load on the system. So probably it's the capacitators then according to your post. As I'm not into electronics I'll just RMA it.

Back