Silverstone SST-FT03-Mini (Mini-Itx)

I really like the look of this case. I will probably buy it next summer when I do a full upgrade to Intel Haswell. Hopefully by then there are 600W PSUs for the SFX form factor.

*hoping Tony will pop by and confirm that they are now shipping..............*

Japan gets this case on April 13, but who knows when it will be available here. Tony did say Q1, didn't he? :p

I assumed so considering it will be released in Japan next week. I want to know when it will hit the us.

I'd rather see the optical drive facing up, G4 cube style.
The switches and "front" ports should have been moved to a corner.

I'd rather see the optical drive facing up, G4 cube style.
The switches and "front" ports should have been moved to a corner.

Yes and they should have placed the PSU lower. I don't mind if it's blocking a bit of the intake fan, because a bigger cooler would have been possible.

Thanks for the link. The review says that the PSU is not shipping with the case. I find that surprising since it needs an SFX PSU and Silverstone usually includes those (especially since there are not that many other options on the market). However I guess this way anybody who wants a 450W PSU can get one.

I'm dying to get this case paired with Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe, Ivy and a 680! Now I just gotta consider cooling options :)

Thanks for the link. The review says that the PSU is not shipping with the case. I find that surprising since it needs an SFX PSU and Silverstone usually includes those (especially since there are not that many other options on the market). However I guess this way anybody who wants a 450W PSU can get one.

It's probably because they're releasing a gold 450W sfx psu. Then again, is not like there are any components that will fit in the case that will require more than the standard st45sf.

Edit: Forgot that it's modular.

It's probably because they're releasing a gold 450W sfx psu. Then again, is not like there are any components that will fit in the case that will require more than the standard st45sf.

Edit: Forgot that it's modular.

a modular 450W SFX "Gold" power supply!

when?

Well it's up on the site now, so it shouldn't be too long - http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=333

I wish they'd give the GPU length in mm instead of inches. I'd like know if it's a little more like it turned out to be with the SG05.
Edit: Wow, well there's definitely enough room for the 680! :D
fitsf.jpg

a modular 450W SFX "Gold" power supply!

when?

My bad, I don't think it's modular. It has shorter cables and is expected the 2nd half of this year.
Edit: Actually, I think it is going to be modular. If you look at the FT03 mini photo above, it has a modular PSU inside o_O
ST45SF-G
692_7_full.jpg

Last edited:
Doh ~ I JUST ordered the SG08 to fit the GTX 680. Given the layout, will this be very good at cooling the video card?

Last edited:
Doh ~ I JUST ordered the SG08 to fit the GTX 680. Given the layout, will this be very good at cooling the video card?

honestly i think any high end video card is going to run warm in this due to lack of fan to direct to it like the matx version has. but i may be wrong

Jen

My 680 idles around 33C and gets up to 67C under load. That's with auto fan and while doing heavy benchmarking. With the fan at 70%, it goes no higher than 63C.

i love the case, and am definitely going to buy one, but...................... it is going to have to wait until that short-cable modular PSU with an 80+ "Gold" rating turns up.

tony, and eta on the new PSU?

the cabling on the chiphell review looked ugly using a normal SFX power supply.

I can't wait for this case. I was just browsing through the manual and it looks like a self-contained watercooler will fit!

Not sure why anybody would buy this. Sure it looks cool, but without the power supply included like their other sff cases, they're limiting their market even more.

Not sure why anybody would buy this. Sure it looks cool, but without the power supply included like their other sff cases, they're limiting their market even more.

The case is basically a vertical version of the SG05/SG06. I don't know what the final pricing will be, but in a Hexus video interview, Tony said around $130, and in the Chiphell article, somebody wrote in the comments that the price was RMB 999, which is around $160.

Right now you can get the 450W version of the SG05/SG06 for about that price, including the PSU. The PSU is easily $50-100 (not really sure) so the FT03-Mini seems like a bad deal going purely by price.

Of course, it could be that the SG05/SG06 is just a *really* great deal and the FT03-Mini is priced more normally by comparison. Lian Li's vertical ITX cases are about the same price and they don't come with PSUs either.

Of course, it could be that the SG05/SG06 is just a *really* great deal and the FT03-Mini is priced more normally by comparison.

This is the correct comparison. The SG05 is very very basic when you break it down. Less than two square feet of aluminium, a dozen rivets, a cheap 120mm fan and a plastic front panel. The FT03 is indeed just an SG05 faced down, but it has several more components such as the 140mm fan, the sturdy base, the housed "front-panel" sockets, and of course the high quality outer panels.

There's this photo from Cebit which shows non-modular.
Cebit_2012_Silverstone__16_.JPG
I can't find any information on this. Nonetheless, I really hope Silverstone will produce a modular SFX PSU saving us from having a mess inside the enclosure. If it is indeed the case, I will be changing my plans from building a mATX FT03 system and stay ITX with a FT03-Mini (providing the new ASRock Z77E-ITX board is as good as it looks or the recently announced EVGA ITX comes out as a recommendable motherboard).

Last edited:
Plenty of slim, slot loading DVD and BD drives on ebay. Newegg sells the LiteON slot DVD for $50. The airflow in this looks considerably better than the SG05 due to its twisted motherboard configuration, the use of a 140mm Air Penetrator and moving the drives out of the flow. Under the desk this would work well but for "on desk" use I'm not sure the cables coming out the top would work so well.

1. Can somebody link me to a slot-load slim DVD-RW drive? I think the post was referring to this drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106031 but it has been discontinued, and I don't see another product on Newegg.

2. I am curious about what the cables for this case would like too. I put my SFF cases on top of the desk so the appearance is important. Anybody have a pic of an installed system? Don't see it on the Chiphell review or Silverstone website.

Yes, it has been since Friday. That's where I grabbed the above photo with the 680.

Also... still no sign of a modular SFX power supply. I wonder how close they are to releasing it since it hasn't even hit Silverstone's website yet.

Back