Silverstone SST-FT03-Mini (Mini-Itx)

lvyelion

Limp Gawd
Silverstone launched SST-FT03-Mini (Mini-Itx) in Japan on October 8th. Along with SG08, TJ04 and GD07.

Mini-Itx

1X 140mm ap fan

189mm(W) x 397mm(H) x 235mm(D) ( 47mm taller and bit wider compare to a virtical SG07 222 mm (w) x 190 mm (h) x 350 mm (d))

Slot-loading ODD

3.5"x1 / 2.5"x2

USB 3.0

I would say this is more like a virtical version of SG05, with fancier shell, different ODD and panel port placement of course. Look at pic 3

source: http://akiba-pc.watch.impress.co.jp/hotline/20111008/etc_sstone0.html

sseva1.jpg

sseva2.jpg

sseva3.jpg

sseva4.jpg

sseva5.jpg

sseva6.jpg

sseva7.jpg

sseva8.jpg

Last edited:
I would say this is more like a virtical version of SG05

Good call. If so, then it would be larger in volume due to the top area that conceals cables. However, it would take up less desk space.

Would also be more difficult to source an ODD.

I wonder if they're going to add a micro SATA power connector to the PSU? They should have been doing that all the time anyways. I've seen pics before but never saw one until I got my spare Antec ISK 300-150. The micro SATA power connector is for the slim optical drives, so you can use that and a normal SATA data cable, instead of having to buy an adapter.

they could have easily raised that powersupply up higher to allow more room in the case. and that optical drive place doesnt look very pretty

Jen

This looks interesting. I'm also curious as to which GPUs can be housed within this new case.

Plenty of slim, slot loading DVD and BD drives on ebay. Newegg sells the LiteON slot DVD for $50. The airflow in this looks considerably better than the SG05 due to its twisted motherboard configuration, the use of a 140mm Air Penetrator and moving the drives out of the flow. Under the desk this would work well but for "on desk" use I'm not sure the cables coming out the top would work so well.

According to original link it takes 9" max video cards.

Last edited:
they could have easily raised that powersupply up higher to allow more room in the case. and that optical drive place doesnt look very pretty

I agree with the PSU mounting, they could have raised it up, so it would protrude farther than the I/O plate. Combine this with a right-angled plug and the PSU could be very close to the plastic top grille.

I agree with the ODD look, however, as skinny as the case is vertically, placing the ODD horizontally would block way too much airflow.

With the 140mm Air Penetrator fan, I can only imagine how quickly the air inside the case is cycled out.

I wish they made the case a little taller, to accommodate longer graphics cards, but I suppose were limited more by the SFX PSU. :(

Jen

based on the numbers on the pic, PSU raised about 13mm compare to SG05 (189mm W of FT03 mini, and 176mm H with SG05).

I like it. I wonder what PSU it comes with and if it would be enough to power my components.

I like it. I wonder what PSU it comes with and if it would be enough to power my components.

If its anything like its big brother, the mATX FT03, it doesn't come with a PSU. This will be one of its flaws as an SG05 can be had for a little over $100 with a $75 PSU included. Add a PSU to this and you are in SG07/SG08 territory. Y18000 = ~$230. The actual US price will probably be less than $200 (it better be!).

Some interesting translation from the page:

In addition, that the chassis itself is based on the company SG05.

The release date is uncertain, price is "roughly about 18,000 yen"

Last edited:
Why is it so tall? Seems like the top has a lot of wasted space compared to the normal FT03.

Why is it so tall? Seems like the top has a lot of wasted space compared to the normal FT03.

Even though it's smaller, that top part has to be the same as the FT03's. They needed to make space for bulky cables (DVI and VGA cables) to stick up under the top grill just like in the FT03.

Even though it's smaller, that top part has to be the same as the FT03's. They needed to make space for bulky cables (DVI and VGA cables) to stick up under the top grill just like in the FT03.

Yeah, but it looks to be taller then my FT03, at least based on the pic with the hand next to it. And the FT03 has the hd hotswap that uses some of that space as well. Like Jen said, they could have at least mounted the PSU higher into that space and provided a right angle ps cable to use.

Very exciting news! Where's the sg08 coverage?

They cover that briefly in the link. I find the SG08 to be disappointing -- visually speaking, while not to everybody's taste, the SG07 has a nice Empire (Star Wars) look whereas they made the SG08 about as bland as you can get. Furthermore, the latest information available is that the internals are the same. It would have been nice to see Silverstone integrate a bigger PSU for those who want to go commando.

Why on earth didn't they just keep it like the original but for mitx boards? Yet again do they put the powersupply over the CPU socket. I think it's a horrible design. All they seem to have done is flipped one of their previous cases on it's face to stand it up.

Why on earth didn't they just keep it like the original but for mitx boards? Yet again do they put the powersupply over the CPU socket. I think it's a horrible design. All they seem to have done is flipped one of their previous cases on it's face to stand it up.
Actually the power supply is not over the CPU socket at all, it's somewhat adjacent to it, but not at all blocking CPU air flow.
Where else do you suggest it be placed that wouldn't block a significant portion of the AP fan's airflow?

Last edited:
FT03 mini:
- 228mm video card length
- PSU limited to SFX
- No top exhaust fan (rely on psu fan?)

IMO, Vertical layout does not do any good in this combination.

SG08 layout looks more practical in every way. thermal or gaming wise

FYI, why not upgrade your USB2.0 module to USB 3.0 in your exising SG07? I know somebody out there still prefer SG07's front panal.

USB 3.0 upgrade module include audio jack that fit FT02/RV02/SG07/PS02/PS04/GD05/SG05

$15 plays the trick considering silverstone does so little improvement in new product

Last edited:
Actually the power supply is not over the CPU socket at all, it's somewhat adjacent to it, but not at all blocking CPU air flow.
Where else do you suggest it be placed that wouldn't block a significant portion of the AP fan's airflow?

what are you talking about? ths PSU is obviously over the CPU socket

what are you talking about? ths PSU is obviously over the CPU socket
The only thing that is "OVER" the CPU is the I/O panel, the PSU is on the other side of the chassis out of the way of AP fan and convective airflow past the CPU & heatsink.

Last edited:
The only thing that is "OVER" the CPU is the I/O panel, the PSU is on the other side of the chassis out of the way of AP fan and convective airflow past the CPU & heatsink.

I think the reference is to cooler "height" in this case. Its limited to the same low profile coolers as the SG05. At least SST put a vent next to the IO plate to compensate for missing the side vent.

I think the reference is to cooler "height" in this case. Its limited to the same low profile coolers as the SG05. At least SST put a vent next to the IO plate to compensate for missing the side vent.

and in this case they decide to block this extra venting by placing a switch there. also a very dumb move. these cases need all the vent possible for intake and exhaust.

i had a ft03 and reason i could no longer use it was due to the optical drive was driving me crazy since i use them all the time a laptop optical drive isnt going to work for me.

Jen

and in this case they decide to block this extra venting by placing a switch there. also a very dumb move. these cases need all the vent possible for intake and exhaust.
Agreed, I suppose it's possible that there is no surface on the back side of that switch tower, allowing for more exhaust venting.

I might be mistaken but isn't Silverstone's vertical concept supposed to function using a big intake for a smaller exhaust at the top?

i know this sound crazy
but since i m a big fan of the FT03 i probably be getting this case too
but was thinking if i can run passive CPU and GPU on this baby hahah
something like Xeon 3320 with 6670 passive? possible?

Anybody found any updates? I've already sold my rig and am waiting on this case to be released :3

Google still only brings up the mATX version and this same info. NEED A RELEASE DATE!

Sorry for the wait, but we don't have an exact release date yet other than that we expect FT03-Mini to be available sometimes in Q1 of 2012.

hell, i like it.

will look better in black so the ODD doesn't stand out so much.

be nice if they took a leaf from Lian-Li's book and did it in red too.

is it confirmed that this won't come with the 450W SFX psu?

seems strange after the SUGO 05/06.............

and do we have a date from Silverstone (Tony......) when they expect to ships these from the factory?

Tony was kind enough to answer the following in response to my question about availability:

we don't have a solid timeframe on FT03-MINI's release yet. But we are aiming to ship this case in March so expect around April to reach UK.

He also said that any other colours, such as the titanium finish, would depend on sales success of the new mini. much as was the case with the original FT03 i imagine.

Tony was kind enough to answer the following in response to my question about availability:

He also said that any other colours, such as the titanium finish, would depend on sales success of the new mini. much as was the case with the original FT03 i imagine.

Neat. I'm still looking to pick one of these up.

yes, i am looking at a trinity chip and a new GCN vid card.

I'm confused by some of the earlier posts. Is the final case going to come in the silver finish (as in the picture), or will it come in black (with other colors on a wait-and-see basis)?

I would really like a silver/white/anything but black case. Maybe I will just get a white SG05 instead, since it sounds like the layout is mostly the same, and they are not upping the stock PSU capacity.

Last edited:
Back