SilverStone SG07 - New Mini-itx case

So I made some upgrades today to my system.

After reading the tips from some other members of this thread, I was able to attached the H50 Radiator to the 180mm Penetrator fan. I then put a 140mm Noctua below the radiator.

10.JPG

I then replaced my 5970 with a GTX 580. I got sick of ATI and it's issues.

11.JPG

Look at the size difference

12.JPG

Final home in my SG07

13.JPG

So I made some upgrades today to my system.

After reading the tips from some other members of this thread, I was able to attached the H50 Radiator to the 180mm Penetrator fan. I then put a 140mm Noctua below the radiator.

I then replaced my 5970 with a GTX 580. I got sick of ATI and it's issues.

Look at the size difference

Final home in my SG07

Quick couple questions for yourself and anyone else using the AP 180 ..

-- Are you guys running your AP off a motherboard header?

-- Are you running the AP at low or high? On high that thing is annoyingly loud so I've been running it on low.

-- What kind of temp difference do you see using that bottom fan vs only the AP?

Thanks for the input.

I'm running the AP off of the motherboard header.

I'm running the AP at high. It actually sits away and down towards the floor from where I sit so either setting doesn't matter to me.

I actually was not using the AP180 initially.. I was use 140mm/120mm push pull with the h50. With the change I saw about 3-4 degrees idle change and about 6-7 degrees on max load.

As for the downgrade to the 580. I just got sick of the 5970.. I don't want to get into an AMD/NVIDIA thing, but I had to underclock my 5970 due to it crashing on 2D applications such as windows. There are a few threads about that. I just couldn't deal with the other crashes too.

Last edited:
Hey guys. I just built one of these systems in an SG07 case and just had a couple quick questions.

I have an insane amount of static / interference coming through the front panel audio jack. It's synchronized with funky stuff like mouse movements, HDD access, etc. If I move the front panel's USB cable around the case I can minimize it some, but not eliminate it. If I remove the USB connector from the motherboard the static goes away completely. If I remove the two ground wires from the USB connector and then re-attach it to the MB, it's still crystal clear.

So I figure it's something to do with the grounding mechanism on the front panel. Has anyone fixed this themselves? I suppose the USB ground wires are important so I didn't want to just leave them out.

Also... what are good HDD temps? I have the Corsair H50 stock fan / radiator setup with the AP 180 fan totally removed and the fan is on about 50% (800-1000 RPM). I'm sacrificing some air flow for quiet and the CPU is doing well, MB is kinda okay (upper 40s / low 50s) but the HDD (WD20EARS Green) got up to 46C until I gave in and jacked the fan up to max. The drive bay seems a bit isolated and unventilated. Ambient temp is around 70F so in the summer time I think things will be even warmer. Do you think I should look for more air flow (maybe add another fan?) or not worry about it? I'd like to keep the thing as silent as possible -- at least at idle and for movie playback.

Thanks for any input.

John

Just dropped the money on a windowed version of the SG07. Specs will be as follows:

Intel Core i5-650
Intel DH57JG
8GB G.Skill DDR3
ATI HD5970 or HD6990 depending on price/performance.
Intel SSD, not 100% sure which as the G3 drives are imminent.
Sony Slim DVD-RW
Corsair H7O

Then i'll be upgrading when I see some Bulldozer performance numbers, either something like the Intel DH67CF and an i7-2600S or to Bulldozer, depending on price/performance.

Okay, I really don't get how you're supposed to attach the H7O safely to the AP fan, I don't really want to swap it out for another fan but unless i'm mistaken, the 120mm holes are on the TOP of the fan bracket and not the bottom?

I mean surely you're not attaching the rad to the bottom by screwing it onto the spiral part? That just doesn't seem too safe to me?

if you read through the thread we have posted pictures of how its attached lol. I used washers on mine, and it does a pretty good job of spreading out the weight, the spirals on the AP are very thick so theres no chance that it can break. Ive hauled mine to many lan parties and it takes some tossing around, havent had anything snap or move on me yet.

Heh, I'm moving my rig to a windowed SG07 by tomorrow morning :) The GTX570 I have has the same length (for that matter, PCB) as a GTX580, just with a cooler color scheme (I kid, I kid :p). So given the fact that the ST450SF 450W PSU is indeed crap... I'm happy I'm making the move!

if you read through the thread we have posted pictures of how its attached lol. I used washers on mine, and it does a pretty good job of spreading out the weight, the spirals on the AP are very thick so theres no chance that it can break. Ive hauled mine to many lan parties and it takes some tossing around, havent had anything snap or move on me yet.

Okay that's fine, was just unsure about the strength of the spirals. To be fair, all the pictures so far have been from the wrong angle and it's not been totally clear, hence getting questions about it every third or so post. :)

So this is the air penetrator from the top. The way that people are attaching an H5O/H7O to this is by screwing the rad onto the spirals that you can see below the fan?

photo3sp.jpg

Do you not have to be careful so that the fan blades don't then "clip" the screw heads as the fan is in motion, or is there ample clearance?

Noctua NH-C14 with the top fan removed should fit in this case with the 180mm still in place (depending on your mobo's CPU position).

Could provide a nice setup (bottom 140mm could remain in place to give push-pull with the 180mm)

Well that was an absolute arse and a half. It's finally working after 12+ hours of solid head scratching and fiddling.

I couldn't seem to get the H7O to fit without the tubing kinking to hell and back, and if I moved it it either stopped the graphics card from fitting, stopped the 3.5" HDD bay fitting, or both.

In the end I had a breakthrough. Adjust the orientation of the block! Turned in 90 degrees, and the H7O is now in, albeit still with a kink or two that i'm still not 100% happy with, but can ignore for now.

I ended up using the 3.5" HDD screws to hold the radiator onto the air penetrator, they're quite long and half of each screw is thicker than the other half so they're ideal.

I just can't believe how long it took me. I'm shattered, been at it since 10am this morning and it's 11.30pm now. :/

On a side note, my slimline SATA cable is too short and won't fit, I don't have any right angle SATA cables for my SSD, and Royal FAIL decided not to bother delivering my graphics card, instead I caught the postman dropping a card through the door without ringing and he got a right earful. I'm going to go pick it up myself tomorrow, and they can damn well refund the delivery charge.

Anyhow, pics when it's finished. Cable tidying is going to be a nightmare, the cables are all massive and they don't really bend the way you want them to at all.

Hey guys, I'm thinking of picking up one of these cases in the next week or so... I have big plans for this sucker. I've got a question though, I have read through the thread and didn't see it answered anywhere (not to say I didn't just miss it :D ) The bracket that holds the 180mm fan has another set of mounting holes inwards a bit... Are they spaced for a 120mm or 140mm fan?

Also if I was to forsake the optical drive, is there a plate that covers the slot or would there be a gaping hole where the drive should go?

Last edited:
Hey guys, I'm thinking of picking up one of these cases in the next week or so... I have big plans for this sucker. I've got a question though, I have read through the thread and didn't see it answered anywhere (not to say I didn't just miss it :D ) The bracket that holds the 180mm fan has another set of mounting holes inwards a bit... Are they spaced for a 120mm or 140mm fan?

It has holes for a 120mm fan.. however, a few 140mm fans have the 120mm form factor holes like Noctua and the new Thermalright fans.

I am also upgrading to a Lian Li V354B mATX case, so I have a windowed version of this case available if you are interested.. PM me.

Not a fan of this case at all, think i'm going to return it.

The AP is noisy, the H7O buzzes like hell because it's so cramped (when I take it out the buzzing goes away) and the HD6970 is like a sodding vacuum cleaner.

That might be acceptable if the case was on the floor, but having it whooshing away next to me while gaming is unacceptable.

The H70 seems like a bit of overkill to me. The H50 can keep the chip more than cool enough. As far as I can see it's the other things like the MB and HDD that need a little cooling help in this case.

The H70 seems like a bit of overkill to me. The H50 can keep the chip more than cool enough. As far as I can see it's the other things like the MB and HDD that need a little cooling help in this case.

I happen to have an H5O as well, and that buzzes too when I put it in this case. I really don't think it suits either solution like the SG05 does (screw it in front, put fan on, plenty of room to bolt to CPU).

Plus if i'm going to go for a quieter card I may as well just keep my SG05. Did you know EVGA and Zotac make a NINE INCH long GTX570?

I happen to have an H5O as well, and that buzzes too when I put it in this case. I really don't think it suits either solution like the SG05 does (screw it in front, put fan on, plenty of room to bolt to CPU).

Plus if i'm going to go for a quieter card I may as well just keep my SG05. Did you know EVGA and Zotac make a NINE INCH long GTX570?

Hmm... the H50 seems to be pretty quiet. I can only hear the buzz when I have the case off and am really looking for it. (I mean to say it's barely audible.) Have you tried dumping the AP and bolting the radiator to the Corsair fan and the fan to the case?

I do have the EVGA GTX 570. It's quiet at idle but of course the fan gets going when the graphics get intensive.

All in all I'm pleased with the quietness of the thing (of course I'm used to loud desktops), but just concerned about temps.

I had my GTX570 reference (eVGA) into a modded SG06 with the 450W PSU.

To put it bluntly, the 450W PSU is pure crap. We have a thread here with no sucess story, so far. If you have a lower end CPU, you can get away with using the 300W. If you have a better CPU (quad core), then you're going to have to use a 450W silverstone PSU that would be lucky to deliver a single watt over 300.

EDIT: and I had my X3440 at stock clocks, HT disabled, one core disabled, and no turbo, yet the PSU still clicked on a moderate load. Chirped at a benching load. Now, you may say benching is unrealistic, however, PSUs degrade over time, for that matter, so does GPU power circuitry. Power draw will increase, while the PSU's output max load will decrease. With a POS PSU as the ST45SF, I'd rather not take the chance.

EDIT2: and the GTX570 reference has a power monitor that works with the power circuitry to limit power consumption... so furmark at max wasn't drawing any spectacular amount of power like a GTX480 at max would of.

I'm still waiting for Silverstone to ship me a replacement front I/O panel. They said they shipped it over two weeks ago... but so far nada. I'm getting kind of frustrated.

id look into how you have it installed... move it 90 degrees and make sure the tubes arent resting on amything that can vibrate. i have the AP and H50 setup and a 6870 and i can pretty much only hear the AP when its on high, and it sits right next to me on the desk. My seagate HDD is the loudest thing in my machine by far... kinda pisses me off sometimes, but thats seagate i guess.

Yay! I have a WD 2TB Green incomming :) I never even used more than 200GB on my old 1TB drive, but oh, whatever. small SSD + large, high density HDD + small single platter laptop HDD seems to be a decent combo for me :cool:

Well I finally put the heatsinks on the motherboard, I need to get the little ones but all I had was the big ones. Took some pics of the build :D. Just need a 1100t and a new video card, dont know what yet. Wish I had the Windowed one. But I do love the case!
DSC_0544.jpg

DSC_0514.jpg

DSC_0515.jpg

DSC_0509.jpg

DSC_0507.jpg

DSC_0505.jpg

DSC_0504.jpg

DSC_0503.jpg

DSC_0500.jpg

Isnt she cute?
DSC_0490.jpg

Nice! :) I have the windowed one, the main benefit (after owning a SG02, twin SG05, and a SG06) is it prevents the side panels from "flexing out" after a while, under heat.

Well, that and it's sexy just seeing GPU through the window, on my desk, every day :)

Screenshot ;)

What I get to see every morning :)

Waiting for an Bluray slot loader (incomming)...

Storage solutions. One 64GB C300. One 250GB Scorpio Blue. One 2TB Caviar Green. :D

^Whats that black thing your headphones are plugged into?

NuForce uDAC2. An external headphone DAC and AMP that's rougly on par with the ASUS Xonar STX, AFAIK (for single headphone out). I got it since I wanted a knob to controll my headphone volume, and a decent DAC seemed like a good thing to have, too. With my ATH-M50s, it does sound... uh... clearer in music (WMA Lossless, here :)) vs the onboard Realtek chip Gigabyte uses, especially once all the silly "bass boost" and other silly default audio output modifiers from Realtek were disabled :) Also because the front headphone jacks had some line noise due to either cheap components, sensitive headphones (good thing, IMO :D), or poor audio front panel header wire shielding... So this is what I got, since an ASUS Xonar STX wouldn't of fit, and a HUD-MX1 or Icon HD was way too expensive for me to swallow :(

Thanks! And Haha very true, I wanted to see what it looked like, but I dont know if I like it or not.

I think the ASUS ROG sticker is nicer :p

And because I know some people are interested... (SG07 is also short of 1CM taller). It's not any wider, that's the case feet doing some work with shadowing.

Though my SG05/E7200/HD5770 build is at work :( :( So I cannot show it off... today ;) Maybe next weekend we'll have a better dinner party :)

And because I know some people are interested... (SG07 is also short of 1CM taller). It's not any wider, that's the case feet doing some work with shadowing.

Though my SG05/E7200/HD5770 build is at work :( :( So I cannot show it off... today ;) Maybe next weekend we'll have a better dinner party :)

Great pic! I'm deciding between 05 and 07:D

Aww I wish I had a Asus ROG sticker. :(

And sweet setup. Love that monitor.

Back