Silverstone SG06: Power & Hard Drive LED's TOO DAMNED BRIGHT!

Zarathustra[H]

Extremely [H]
Holy shit!

Using this case as an HTPC in a darkened room for movie watching is a retina burning experience akin to being shone in the face with a blue spotlight while trying to see the damned TV.

I'm going to have to take it apart again and figure out a way to partially cover them to make the light less intense. It is ridiculous.

Four layers of home window tint between the front of the case and the LED's made them bearable, yet still visible as indicators.

Expensive solution though. 10ft roll for $20, for me to use a couple of square inches...

Wish Silverstone had done something like this out of the box.

Zarathustra[H];1040450673 said:
Holy shit!

Using this case as an HTPC in a darkened room for movie watching is a retina burning experience akin to being shone in the face with a blue spotlight while trying to see the damned TV.

I'm going to have to take it apart again and figure out a way to partially cover them to make the light less intense. It is ridiculous.
You could easily enought slightly reduce the running voltage in the circuit or just remove power to them all together.

I always cut a small square of black electrical tape and put it over my power and HDD LEDs.

They are two, two prong connectors to the mother board. Just don't plug them in.

This isn't even an Sugo 6 issue. Most cases have way to bright LED's. It's just worse for some ITX and Desktop cases because they are great sizes for Entertainment centers and the last thing you want is bright leds.

Last edited:
They are two, two prong connectors to the mother board. Just don't plug them in.

This isn't even an Sugo 6 issue. Most cases have way to bright LED's. It's just worse for some ITX and Desktop cases because they are great sizes for Entertainment centers and the last thing you want is bright leds.

True, that would have been the easy fix, but I don't want them gone, just at a reasonable intensity :p

The window tint worked well, but it added $20 to my build (and now I have enough for my next 1000 builds)

With how bright the new LEDs are black electrical tape just dims them significantly.

haha, that is funny. I would have expected black electrical tape to completely block them out, which is why I bought the window tint film.

If I had known that they still allow light through the black electrical tape, I would have saved some money and time and done that instead...

Really goes to show how stupidly bright these things are, if they produce a useful light level through black electrical tape.

haha, that is funny. I would have expected black electrical tape to completely block them out, which is why I bought the window tint film.

If I had known that they still allow light through the black electrical tape, I would have saved some money and time and done that instead...

Really goes to show how stupidly bright these things are, if they produce a useful light level through black electrical tape.

I cut the two led cables and put a 100k Ohm trim potentiometer (variable resistor) in and can adjust exactly to the brightness I needed.
So 100k Ohm is (after some trying) the right number, and they cost some cents. Actually everything between 70 and 120k Ohm should do fine.

best regards
mariachi76

I cut the two led cables and put a 100k Ohm trim potentiometer (variable resistor) in and can adjust exactly to the brightness I needed.
So 100k Ohm is (after some trying) the right number, and they cost some cents. Actually everything between 70 and 120k Ohm should do fine.

best regards
mariachi76

That's good info right there.

Personally I am no longer using this case, and the reason why is quite stupid.

I stepped on it. (OOOPS)

My current setup for my main HTPC is a fanless Streacom FC5WS EVO. I love this case:

streacom-jpg.15237

It did come with a pre-installed blue LED, but unlike Silverstone it is perfect in the brightness department.

There is something quite eerie about turning the computer on the first time and hearing absolutely nothing.

32371281490_4121cff5f7_o.jpg

Back