Silverstone SG05 + Corsair H50

1_legged_sheep

Limp Gawd
Decided to put an H50 in my Silverstone SG05. I wanted it to be able to still fit the DVD burner and hard drive in the normal caddy.

Case Naked:
1000846t.jpg

The H50 backplate fit fine on my ECS H55H-I (Take note Gigabyte!!) without smashing anything on the back of the motherboard.
10008440.jpg

I used a Scythe Slim 120mm fan (the 2k rpm one) so that the video card could fit easily. You can barely see it in the pic is soo thin:
1000850.jpg

I did have to mod the DVD/HD caddy a bit. There was some extra metal that isn't really needed to support the 2.5" hard drive I had to remove to clear the radiator:
1000847v.jpg

1000849q.jpg

Fully assembled (I will clean up the cables later today):
1000851z.jpg

The results, 4.4ghz with the vcore set to 1.41v, mem at 1.65v, VTT at 1.25v, spread spectrum off and turbo boost disabled.
44v2.png

isn't it pushing a bit, I think it's a 2 phase VRM and you're running at 1.41v

Anyway, nicely done. I never cut the case for my SG05+H50 builds tho, I just use flexibleties to mount the rad to the fan

Temps are fine.. noise is great too.. can barely hear the vid card through the vent holes I drilled in the window, its like a faint hum. I've backed it off to 4.0 since I posted this. The gains after 4ghz were minimal and that allowed me to get back under the 1.4v max for i3 processors. Currently running at 1.36v with no VTT bump and icey cool. Found out I can do 3.6 with no extra voltage now too, but the ECS bios doesn't let you save two different profiles :(

Is there any way to mod it to fit an optical, 3.5", and H50?

I've thought about it. I think there is room on the floor of the case for a normal 3.5" hard drive. I hope I'm getting a 120gb SSD for xmas and if it do I'm going to pick up Samsung's 1tb Spinpoint drive for storage so I'll hopefully know for sure in a week.

I dont understand why you would want to have an internal DVD reader? If you use an external DVD with USB connection, you save space and heat. When was the last time you needed a DVD reader? Never. Why not have only one external DVD reader via USB, instead of one DVD reader in every single PC? Better only one external that you shift from PC to PC, when needed. And you can now install OS via USB memory stick too. Earlier, I had one DVD reader in every single PC. Now I aim for one external, and no internal DVD readers whatsoever.

And I prefer 2.5" HD. Less heat, because air can flow more easily. I would mostly use a mini pc for gaming, and not do serious work. I would have installed a couple of games, so a 200GB HD or SSD would suffice. If I need more disk space, I would go for an additional external disk with USB 3.0 connection. Then you get full speed, rivaling SATA connection.

So, I would like an even smaller case, with no room for internal DVD reader, and only room for a 2.5" HD or SSD. But the case has to have USB 3.0.

What do you think of this? Then the case would be much smaller, yes?

With all the modding I was planning for this build I almost went with an external DVD-RW. I would be fine with a case with no internal DVD bay. Either use a USB or simply share out the one on my file server.

All removing the DVD bay would do is cut the height by about half an inch though. A 120mm intake fan is an absolute must for me and some space after the fan is also a must, so I don't see a whole lot more room they could find with this case.

It's a good place to stuff your extra cables ;)

Why does cpu-z say 2.232v? You should try taking the voltage down under 1.4. Both my 530 (sold) and my 550 (current) have been able to do 4ghz at less than 1.3v. I can't imagine a 400mhz increase needing that much more voltage. Then again, these were on gigabyte boards :p

I've thought about it. I think there is room on the floor of the case for a normal 3.5" hard drive. I hope I'm getting a 120gb SSD for xmas and if it do I'm going to pick up Samsung's 1tb Spinpoint drive for storage so I'll hopefully know for sure in a week.

Just the thing I was thinking.. did you check if a 3.5HDD can fit on the floor?

Back