Silverstone RV04/FT04 - Back Again

Very surprised after 3+ years and the TJ11 that they went away from the vertical card layout. Kinda makes me sad :( I wonder if the other cases weren't selling like they'd hoped?

Well I'm glad I decided to not wait for this and get an RV02. I was hoping it would've used 90 degree motherboard orientation.

Very surprised after 3+ years and the TJ11 that they went away from the vertical card layout. Kinda makes me sad :( I wonder if the other cases weren't selling like they'd hoped?

They sold very well, Tony just told me they wanted to do something new and different.180 mobo mounting isn't new, but it's different from anything they've made recently.

Stuck between the FT04 and getting another FT02. I like the vertical stack cooling in the FT02 but dig the space savings on the FT04.

Last edited:
I think that bottom cage looks more like a hd cage to me, with two bays up top for disc drives... If you look threw the openings...

Last edited:
They sold very well, Tony just told me they wanted to do something new and different.180 mobo mounting isn't new, but it's different from anything they've made recently.

I wouldn't be so sure...these cases took some very obvious design cues from the TJ08-E.

While the FT04 looks pretty nice, I think I will be perfectly happy with keeping my FT02 if I can just get the AP182s for it if/when they are ever released.

Those AP-182 fans need a spot for the variable control knob.

Last edited:
Was excited a week ago.....now, disappointed.
Might end up with a TJ08-E (and an mATX board) if I get anything; otherwise, guess I'll keep rolling with my R3.

I like them just as much as the FT02 and RV02-3 but in different ways.
If you don't like them its not really a problem. You can still buy the FT01-2 and RV01-2-3,
you can where I am at least.

Not a huge fan of the external looks of either of them. Hopefully it changes a bit, the RV03 changed dramatically between Computex and release.

I like the size of the FT-04, but not loving the look (subjective, I know). Been enjoying my FT-02 for quite a while now, but gosh that thing is huge.

I agree with the thought that the direction of airflow is mostly irrelevant when using multiple fans, but I do appreciate the connectors on top, despite a bit more noise being as it projects straight up into a room. I think both layouts can be successful though.

Are they stopping production of the FT-02?

I as well really dislike the look of the FT04. What is up with the super rounded edges?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv4vT1ZuqDU

Tony from Silverstone says the FT04 is like a premium RV04, which are both like a grown up TJ08. The FT04 adds aluminum exterior (Raven uses plastic), "better than FT02 cooling" with a mere two AP-182 fans with variable fan control (RV04 is said to cool "as well as" an RV02 with two older dual speed AP-181 fans), and audio blocking foam on the front/top/bottom surfaces (RV04 had no sound foam).

The RV04/FT04 improves on the RV02/FT02 fan filters. Air flow threw them is now 90% vs 62%. I'm guessing there will be less fan noise on these new models, as the top is solid and the filters are more free flowing. Some have noted that the fan noise on the RV02/FT02 would project threw the top a bit. My FT02 was never loud, however it was never under my desk below my ears. The RV04/FT04 has 7 HD bays, 5 of them in one screw in cage, plus 2 tool less mounted bays. Looks to be a more solid design than the FT02 HD caddy/cage system which I never liked. Plus the RV04/FT04 saves quite a bit of space over the overly deep FT02/RV02.

Last edited:
I really hope they do a window free version of both. Otherwise I shall not be buying it.

So where is the FT04's power button? Next to the USB port on the side? Looks like a rocker switch is placed there...

I really hope they do a window free version of both. Otherwise I shall not be buying it.

You can see in the photo that the FT04 has a window, so the RV04 will have one also.

So where is the FT04's power button? Next to the USB port on the side? Looks like a rocker switch is placed there...

Since this is a prototype, hopefully they move the power button to the outside I/O panel.

I don't like the gap the door creates in the top panel.
Usually, it a unibody frame that allows the design to flow front to rear.

If Tony is watching the thread, I rather have the 5.25 bays mounted to the front of the case, just like all other FT/TJ cases. NO DOOR.
Then, use the U shaped unibody of the TJ07. I see they are trying to cover up the AP182 fans from view, but the door is creating unnecessary gaps, length and function IMO.

Last edited:
I was thinking the door would not be so bad if it was rock solid, but I agree, most times I avoid doors like the plague. They could do both, have the door for the fan filters, have the disc drive bays push all the way threw to the front. So only the bottom would swing open.

However I'd prefer silverstone just lose the door on the FT04 and save a few inches.

Last edited:
5.27 inches shorter than a FT02!! And it cools better!!

I missed the part where the FT04 is said to cool better than an FT02.

I find that highly unlikely given the design and thermal properties of the 2 cases.

I missed the part where the FT04 is said to cool better than an FT02.

I find that highly unlikely given the design and thermal properties of the 2 cases.

He says in the video that the FT04 cools better than the FT02 due to the new AP-182 fans, and possibly due the more free flowing filters, while the RV04 cools the same as the RV02 due to the old AP-181 fans. Apparently the third fan was not needed to cool as on both the RV04/FT04 cases. I was just quoting Tony from Silverstone.

I like windows when they are mounted from the inside as in the FT04/RV04. Looks cool. I would like to replace the plexiglass with some real gorilla glass or something stronger like.

I think I'll wait to see some reviews come out first. :cool:
Tony's been a pretty up and up guy on the FT02 forums, but let's be honest here - he's not going to come out and say the old case cools better than the new case if it does. ;)

"better than FT02 cooling" with a mere two AP-182
Better how? unless the temperatures are lower at the same fan RPM and noise level then the cooling isn't better. You can add a couple of 5000 RPM Gentle Typhoons and claim the cooling is "better." I'm willing to give Silverstone the benefit of the doubt for now, but until this is clarified and we know the operating RPM range of the AP182s then we can't know.

I don't really care if the new APs can run high RPM, I want to see the low speed improved, preferably capable of sub 300-400RPM once started.

I don't like the gap the door creates in the top panel.
Usually, it a unibody frame that allows the design to flow front to rear.
I think you already said it, it's a pre production prototype - the fit & finish is pretty crappy but we can easily make allowances for this early version. Aside from making those gaps tighter I think the grooves (or 'feathers' if you prefer) on the RV04 need to be be tweaked so that line up and flow seamlessly from the front panel to the top panel.

If Tony is watching the thread, I rather have the 5.25 bays mounted to the front of the case, just like all other FT/TJ cases. NO DOOR.
You can't please all of the people all of the time...

I prefer having no external bays visible - I stopped using 5.25" optical and would rather have a very discreet slimline bay if there must be one, but I'm happy without and external DVD drives will do for the occasional time optical is necessary. I don't like stupid lights on the front either, so if an 'intelligent' fan controller can be hidden behind a door then that's also preferable.

Anyone else feel as if the FT04 and RV04 are total flops? Compare it to previous revisions, and these looks like what could have been revision 1... Not seeing an evolution here.

Letdowns, sure.
Flop? Hard to say flop without any sales figures.

I'd say the change in design and the overall aesthetic of either of these cases compared to the FT02 (or even the RV02) is a major step backward. FT02 was a fantastic case, arguably the second best one I've ever owned (thermally it'll beat my #1 the PC-V1000, but I prefer the V1000's looks).

Lian Li beat them to the rotated ATX design by at least 3-4 years; I have no idea why they'd take out the one thing that they've done that no one else has done, with the 180 degree design that is for all intents and purposes, the best air cooling layout you can get. :confused: I also find it even more confusing that they're going to push out rotated ATX when Lian Li stopped doing rotated ATX because apparently people overseas don't like it. :confused:

If I'm on the fence trying to buy an air cooled case, I'd buy an "old" FT02 before I buy any of these newer models.

Last edited:
I think you already said it, it's a pre production prototype - the fit & finish is pretty crappy but we can easily make allowances for this early version. Aside from making those gaps tighter I think the grooves (or 'feathers' if you prefer) on the RV04 need to be be tweaked so that line up and flow seamlessly from the front panel to the top panel.

Just surprising they are stepping away from the signature unibody design of their higher end cases.
The U shape of the FT01/FT02/TJ07/TJ11 is what made those cases highly desirable. The unibody frame exhibited the utmost quality over it's competitors.

Just surprising they are stepping away from the signature unibody design of their higher end cases.

One more thing on that note worth mentioning is that the unibody design was cited many times as the reason as to why the FT02 had a higher price tag than anyone had expected.

Does this then mean that they're ditching the unibody so the FT04 will be $150-$200? I highly doubt it. :rolleyes:

It's going to be a painful wait for the FT04. I just want to build now!

Last edited:
I really don't see how it can be, at least without doing an apples to apples comparison with the same fans in the FT02. The "heat rises" design is fairly easy to follow, plus you have fans that are (for the most part) not obstructed so the airflow goes straight to the parts, rather than being blocked by drives or a drive housing. On the FT04, your intakes are all farther away plus they're blocked by the drives and/or at least the housing so the airflow isn't a straight shot. On top of that, the GPU will probably get little to no cool air, whereas on the FT02, it does.

I really don't see how the 04 can cool better than the 02, especially if you use the same fans in both.
Again - Tony's a good guy, I just don't see how an 04 cools better than an 02 let alone with 1 less fan and no pivotal fan points anywhere near the GPU. You could get a $50 Bitfenix Outlaw and cool the CPU better than a stock FT04 by using the rear fan as an intake instead of an exhaust. I would say the best way to use the fans in an 04 would be to have the fronts and rear as intakes and the top as exhausts; at least that would make more sense.

To be fair, the gpu cooling path is not blocked at all. The CPU path goes threw the HD cage, if you are light on drives or put them in a 5.25" bay, the cage acts like a funnel for the air. Loaded with drives I don't think it will do as good, but if not it should be ok with the improved fan and filter flow. I don't think vertical stack cooling was the FT02's main reason for its performance, I give that to the 3 huge honking air penetrators with no HD cages in the way.

I really don't see how it can be, at least without doing an apples to apples comparison with the same fans in the FT02. The "heat rises" design is fairly easy to follow, plus you have fans that are (for the most part) not obstructed so the airflow goes straight to the parts, rather than being blocked by drives or a drive housing. On the FT04, your intakes are all farther away plus they're blocked by the drives and/or at least the housing so the airflow isn't a straight shot. On top of that, the GPU will probably get little to no cool air, whereas on the FT02, it does.

I really don't see how the 04 can cool better than the 02, especially if you use the same fans in both.
Again - Tony's a good guy, I just don't see how an 04 cools better than an 02 let alone with 1 less fan and no pivotal fan points anywhere near the GPU. You could get a $50 Bitfenix Outlaw and cool the CPU better than a stock FT04 by using the rear fan as an intake instead of an exhaust. I would say the best way to use the fans in an 04 would be to have the fronts and rear as intakes and the top as exhausts; at least that would make more sense.

Here's a video of Tony explaining why it cools better.
http://hexus.net/tv/show/2012/06/SilverStone_s_new_Raven_lands_at_Computex_2012

When I had my FT02s, I removed the filters while the fans were on and the aurflow increased noticeably. You also have to consider the restrictive intake holes in the floor of the case, along with the fan housing.
By removing the restrictive intake holes, fan housing, reducing filter airflow restriction and increasing the speed of the fans up to 2000RPM, it's very plausible the the FT04 will be a better cooling case.
Also you can now install video cards with center fans without losing cooling performance.

When I left the FT02, I found other cases with comparable cooling i.e. X1000 and V1020.
One site (forgot the name) did a test on this subject, standard ATX vs 90 degree ATX and found no difference in performance.
I came down to the "proximity" and quality of the fans that allowed for better cooling.

In the RV01, it was a hot box with the original AP fan. When I installed the AP181 fan, temps drop substantially. I gave more credit to the fans than the orientation of the motherboard, and I think SS has realized this.
That's why I haven't been in a rush to buy another 90 degree case, because any case with fans mounted near the components will yield great cooling performance.
My V354 cools great, since the bottom fan is ~3 inches from my video card.

You know if you really want to settle this, someone with an FT02 should record temps, flip the case around on its end on a yoga mat, then record temps again!! That way we could see if the position really helps as much as we thought.

Back