SIlverstone RV02W-EW - White Edition

WorldExclusive

[H]F Junkie
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Wow, that came out of nowhere.

I had the RV02 and always thought of it as a temporary case to hold me over until I got my hands on the FT02. I have the FT02 now and do love it but it was surprising to me how nice the RV02 was, how well it performed and how much it grew on me. It gives you basically the same performance and functionality of the FT02 but does so with much more character than the otherwise bland FT02.

Now that I'm in the FT02, I don't think I'd go back to the RV02. However, if the FT02 didn't exist - or if I needed to build as second system for myself - I'd definitely do the RV02 again without hesitation. Very nice case.

RV-03 = abomination.

It gets uglier and uglier as they "refine" the final design. Just kill it and leave that kind of stuff to Thermaltake!

You can pre-order at Amazon for $179.20 w/ free shipping.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004GGUAU4/ref=ox_ya_os_product

The cheapest by far. Amazon will not charge until shipped, which may take a while but you'll save $50.

until amazon holds your order for a month on the preorder status, then cancels it... go to re-order and find it's now in line with everyone else..

orders this has happened to lately for me:

corsair vengeance 12gb set = 189.99, canceled then raised like $50 or so.
car detailing buffer and kit = $139.99, canceled then raised to 199.99
garmin 550t GPS = 479.99, canceled then raised to $509.

Won't hurt to make the order, but they do have a history of this with preorders. Just be wary of the fact.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I tend not to buy anything from Amazon until they have it in stock.
I've seen the same stories from other members here also.

Not much love for the white Raven, huh? Maybe Ravens just weren't meant to be white?

I'd be mildly interested if Amazon ever gets it in stock.

Price is rediculus but at least that's only raven guarranted to come with AP181 fans you can get in Europe since Silverstone doesn't care to bring RV2-E here.

That thing is butt ugly. I predict Newegg "shell shocker" will be it's eventual fate. Right there with all the Rosewill junk.

Price is rediculus but at least that's only raven guarranted to come with AP181 fans you can get in Europe since Silverstone doesn't care to bring RV2-E here.

Price is not bad considering the normal RV02 was about $150 last time I checked - so it's only a 40-something dollar premium for a limited edition color.

That thing is butt ugly. I predict Newegg "shell shocker" will be it's eventual fate. Right there with all the Rosewill junk.

I owned the original RV02 and wasn't thrilled to get it originally but it quickly grew on me and turned out to be a very nice case. The white is a nice change of pace - I would pick one up if I had a need for a second rig for myself but I don't (it wouldn't be practical for the kids or family room PC). It won't be on any Shell Shocker deal - a "Limited Edition" by definition means that they're not going to have truckloads sitting in the warehouse that they need to dump for $4.99. They must not sell boatloads of this case but they'll sell through the small number that will be made.

Price is a little steep but, it's one sexy case! Man, wish I had a white case now.... hmmm

So last month I decided to pre-order one on Amazon just for laughs thinking that they'd never have it then totally forgot...until it showed up at my doorstep this morning, quite surprised.

So last month I decided to pre-order one on Amazon just for laughs thinking that they'd never have it then totally forgot...until it showed up at my doorstep this morning, quite surprised.

Nice surprise! I've got a Black RV02 sitting here ready to go for my new SB build and I'm already impressed with how well it's built. Enjoy your Raven.

So I finally have a day off and started building this morning-

DSCF1476.JPG

Rather tempted to grab a spray can and paint every component white...

DSCF1475.JPG

I suck at wire management, pretty messy back there

DSCF1477.JPG

Air bubble underneath the glass, only if you look close enough though.

Then when I was close to finishing, it turned into a nightmare
Noticed some lines on the window, thought it was wrinkles on the protective films, peeled them off...nope, the damn window's got scratches, a small one on the inside, and two long ones outside, couldn't get the lightning right to take a picture however.

Alright so whatever, just some minor cosmetic blemishes, I'm sure everything else is ok...wrong!
Turned the power on, the 1st AP fan started making loud clanking noise, followed by a snap, then stopped spinning. What the hell!? Took the fan unit out, the freaking fan grill was warped inward(screwed too tight at the factory?) and broke one of the blades off....now I'm really fucking pissed, I better not jump through 5 loops of RMA just to get this damn thing replaced!
DSCF1479.JPG

Alright, apparently the power LED does not work properly either, but since I like to leave my pc on, sure won't miss the light when I'm trying to sleep.

I know I said for the price someone could grab a FT02 or equivliant, but now I take that back, 'cause despite the problems I have this indeed is one badass looking case.

Too bad both of us were struck with bad luck on the AP181s

/edit: well what the hell, the power LED came on after I loaded a game....weird?

Okay, WHAT THE FUCK!? Woke up this morning and found 2nd fan broke too!!....it's the same fucking problem!! Is it just my bad luck or this is a serious design flaw (well, I don't know, put some fucking washers in between?)

DSCF1480.JPG

How long will it take for the 3rd one to commit suicide as well, I wonder?

Okay, WHAT THE FUCK!? Woke up this morning and found 2nd fan broke too!!....it's the same fucking problem!! Is it just my bad luck or this is a serious design flaw (well, I don't know, put some fucking washers in between?)

How long will it take for the 3rd one to commit suicide as well, I wonder?

Wow - that's horrible. I hope Silverstone doesn't give you the same amount of grief trying to RMA those fans. My broken fan came on my newest FT02 (my third one) and I got it over Xmas so I don't have a receipt for it. They would not replace the fan for me and are making me come up with a receipt for the case. I understand this is relative normal for RMA's but sheesh, the case was two weeks old when the fan blew up and now I have to involve a third party to try to dig up an invoice.

I also received my Limited Edition RED FT02 and 3 out of the 5 HDD trays are defective (they don't stay latched in the drive bays - this was reported by several others earlier in this thread). I asked about those too - but of course they wouldn't replace those either. They told me to buy new trays. And this is for their super primo Limited Edition case. WTF.

Wow - that's horrible. I hope Silverstone doesn't give you the same amount of grief trying to RMA those fans. My broken fan came on my newest FT02 (my third one) and I got it over Xmas so I don't have a receipt for it. They would not replace the fan for me and are making me come up with a receipt for the case. I understand this is relative normal for RMA's but sheesh, the case was two weeks old when the fan blew up and now I have to involve a third party to try to dig up an invoice.

I also received my Limited Edition RED FT02 and 3 out of the 5 HDD trays are defective (they don't stay latched in the drive bays - this was reported by several others earlier in this thread). I asked about those too - but of course they wouldn't replace those either. They told me to buy new trays. And this is for their super primo Limited Edition case. WTF.

Wow three FT02s. I had two, FT02B and the Limited Edition.
The LE was a lot better but the paint and HDD trays were lacking in quality also.
If it had a little more personality I probably would have kept it.

TBH I'm a little jealous of the new RV02 because mine doesn't have the quick access HDD bay (nor is it in a sexy white paint job), but damn, I'm glad I don't to deal with those fans. Not like there was anything wrong with the original ones anyway, I keep them on low and the push plenty of air with almost no noise at all.

Nice info! White is pretty cool, there are only 1000 out there from what I understand. It's a limited run, unless there's some kind of overwhelming success (from what we've been told.) We haven't seen any problems with the fans yet, and we've moved quite a few in our own builds. If anyone needs help getting fans replaced, I'd be happy to see if there's something I can do to help. I have a lot of earned respect for Silverstone, and their desire to make people happy with the products they sell.

Looks like I pre-ordered it rather then just notify when available...have not checked my personal email in a few days and ya...got a ship notice today.

Needless to say the girlfriend is not to happy. Told her it was her V-day gift this year :D

I guess these new fans are just overall crap...The middle one was off balance so it broke off one of the blades a few mins into powering the rig on when I got everything setup. Then the back on was broken off the bat.

Really liking the case other then the front plastic just feels extremely cheap.

Between the TJ09 and this, I am liking this a little better as it gives a little bit more room for wire management and the airflow will be crazy once I get the fans replaced.

That's kind of messed up, Coolermaster sent me an entire new front panel for a $20 refurb case when it arrived with broken pins (so the front panel wouldn't stay on). I blamed it on their shipping because they used a slightly over-sized box (not the original case box) and it bounced around a bit. And I know Corsair is always sending out stuff if it breaks or is missing.

It doesn't mean much with a case as usually nothing is broken, but it's nice that some companies are atleast being reasonable.

hey sushicide, just curious if you hit up Silverstone to see if they'd send you replacement fans and/or help w/ your LED problem?

So far their RMA department has been way less than helpful. They asked for the sales invoice which I sent them within 5mins of getting the email. And have not heard back from them since then and that was on Monday night.

That's kind of messed up, Coolermaster sent me an entire new front panel for a $20 refurb case when it arrived with broken pins (so the front panel wouldn't stay on). I blamed it on their shipping because they used a slightly over-sized box (not the original case box) and it bounced around a bit. And I know Corsair is always sending out stuff if it breaks or is missing.

It doesn't mean much with a case as usually nothing is broken, but it's nice that some companies are atleast being reasonable.

Silverstone refused to RMA my broken fan even though it was only about two weeks old when it failed. I have owned many Silverstone cases and when I sold them off to move on to my next one, I have always raved about the (previously) great Silverstone customer service.

I guess those days are over. Maybe in these tougher economic times companies are tightening up, I don't know. But this was a total let down compared to my past experiences with them.

Based on what I've seen from the Corsair representation here, I bet if this was a Corsair case/fan, it would've been replaced long ago and without incident.

Yes, I did get my replacement window and two fans. Mailed them photos and a copy of my receipt on the 11th, heard nothing back, then another one 13th morning when the other fan broke..got a reply same afternoon, nothing but "Your replacements will be shipping out tomorrow" - no apologies, no explanations, no questions asked, and no tracking number.

Package eventually arrived on the 20th w/ everything inside; and of course during that waiting time the 3rd fan started rattling as well, I simply unplugged the stupid thing because I've been too sick and too busy with work to deal with it. Got some spare felt pads laying around, I'll probably make spacers out of them later to give the fan more clearance.

So here's the glaring problem that they ignored:
DSCF1487.JPG
unsleeved retail version from RMA,

DSCF1484.JPG
stock fan came w/ case, see the huge difference?

This particular batch of fans have really loose bearings or not seated properly, you can see how low the fan blades are, too damn close to the rim of the housing, don't even have to guess what happens when it starts spinning at high RPMs.

Oh, only the right side power LED light up..but the whole front bezel would probably have to be replaced, it being a limited edition and all that...I don't have the energy to bother.

Overall it's still the same verdict, I love the design, I love the look, but am I certainly very very disappointed with their QC if not outright pissed off. I'd been a fan of silverstone cases since TJ07, but I would never buy another one again.

Last edited:
I am in the same boat..After a few emails bascially saying do I just need to RMA the case back to Amazon, they sent out my 2 fans without question. I am VERY dissapointed in their Customer Service. So far the case has been really nice other then the fans breaking right off the bat.

I switched from Lian Li to Silverstone and so far other then my TJ09, I have been dissapointed. It was between this or the Corsair 700D. I am thinking I should of went with the Corsair..

Hi,

I'd like to just make a note that I too built a system around the RV02W-EW, which I purchased from NewEgg on 1/15. Got around to building it today, and low and behold, I was greeted with 2 of the AP181 fans making clanking noises upon first boot.

Appears they are having the same issue as sushicide's, in that the tolerances are off and the blades are hitting the fan housing, causing them to not spin freely.

I've emailed Silverstone and PM'ed Tony Ou on the [H]. I really hope I don't have to RMA exchange this with NewEgg as I'd rather not build the system twice.

I'll provide any updates to those looking at the same case.

Well -- looks like Silverstone is sending me 3 sleeved fans as my 3rd fan started acting up since the last post. Emailed them and got a response the next day (emailed late).

I'll update when received.

Back