Silverstone NT-06 Heatsink in a SFF? Add a lower fan.

unixadm

Gawd
I have not seen reference to anyone installing a fan on the lower side of the Silverstone NT-06 lite heatsink. However there is enough room under the heatsink between the heat plate to install a 25mm thick fan. This is ideal in situations where you're using the NT-06 in a passive manner without an upper fan (think Silverstone SG-01 case). Right now I just zip tied a dirt cheap Silverstone 80mm fan under the heatsink blowing air upwards through the HSF and into my Corsair HX620 PSU. Did I notice a difference? Yeah - over 10C at load. At 2.8ghz, 1.3v, on a E6420 I was seeing load temps between 64-67C. The PSU was hot to the touch as well, and I'll mention more about a mod for the Corsair HX620 below. After, I clocked the processor up to 3.2ghz, 1.4v (1.35v load), and my load temps are between 56-58C. I have no doubt without the modification, my load temp would be in the lower 70's, so the real delta is probably closer to 13C.

When I pull the heatsink the next time, I'm going to try and flip the fan bracket upside down and mount a 120mm fan on the bottom side. The bracket is screwed at the center line into the heatsink sides, so it may be flippable. I just don't know if it will have enough clearance That would really be nice as not only would it cool the heatsink, but it would draw air over parts of the board. The Silverstone 80mm fan certainly had a positive effect, and it's basically inaudible. The only thing I think you'd have to contend with is clearance between the parallel ports with a 120mm fan. I figure if a 120mm did not work, a 92mm fan could fit in there.

I have a couple of pictures here: http://www.dmwtech.com/gallery2/v/misc/sg01e/

I mentioned the Corsair HX620 above. The PSU has a pretty robust fan, but the PSU does not want to spin it up. My PSU was very hot to the touch and it was still spinning away slowly. So I opened up the PSU and replaced the stock two wire fan with a three wire Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F 63.7 CFM. I ran the wires out the fan grille (plenty of room) and plugged it into the CPU header. I'm running the fan at 100% and it's very quiet. The results are the PSU is much cooler to the touch and I'm sure that extra air flow is also helping keep the CPU cooler. I have no doubt that the stock fan can put out more than 63 CFM due to it's amp rating, but I'm not sure how hot the PSU has to get before it starts spinning it up. Too hot for me personally.

Both mods do not require any physical modifications and can be accomplished in 15-20 minutes. They can also be easily reversed. I'm probably not the first to figure out this stuff, but hey I figured I'd post what I did. I just had not seen it referenced and since the results were favorable, I figured I'd share. I know guys were putting a 80mm fan on the back of the PSU and with these two easy mods, that is not necessary.

I attached a 120mm Yate Loon to the bottom of mine in a SG01 case and the temps rose 2-3 degrees. The fan sides block air intake and make it difficult to bring in cooler air to be blown through the cooler. I cut my fan in half so that the fan was open-faced like the Arctic Cooling case fans and it only dropped it a couple degrees off the passive temps. Wasn't worth it in my opinion. Oh, and the bracket can't be flipped, I attached my fan with zip ties through the fins.

Well that's good to know. However with an 80mm fan, and the modification to the HX620, I saw a temperature drop of no less than 10C reduction in load temps. Matter of fact when I was at 2.8ghz, I was running Orthos in blend mode and my ambient temperature was lower. Now I'm running at 3.2ghz with more vcore testing Small FFT and I'm at 56C load. So I highly suspect that it's closer to 13C. I'll probably CNC a bracket to mount the fan in a clean way.

What kind of temperatures are you getting with just the fan mod to the Corsair power supply? I wonder if the majority of the improvement that you saw was due to faster fan in the power supply as opposed to the 80mm fan you added to the NT06 heatsink?

Heyas,

I too have an SG01/ Corsair 620HX. I recently put an additional 80mm fan on the outside rear of the PSU to help move air out of the PSU better. It has worked great so far. I'm a bit fanned out, so I don't plan on adding the lower fan to the heatsink, but I am interested in replacing the Corsair 120m fan. Is the Scythe you mention 120mmx38mm or 120mmx25mm? Also, is it difficult to replace the PSU fan? Do you just drop the fan in or must you mod the PSU? I'm thinking of picking up a Noctua NF-S12-1200 120mm Fan (48 CFM).

Thanks!!

What kind of temperatures are you getting with just the fan mod to the Corsair power supply? I wonder if the majority of the improvement that you saw was due to faster fan in the power supply as opposed to the 80mm fan you added to the NT06 heatsink?

I'll disable the 80mm and advise over the next couple of days.

Heyas,

I too have an SG01/ Corsair 620HX. I recently put an additional 80mm fan on the outside rear of the PSU to help move air out of the PSU better. It has worked great so far. I'm a bit fanned out, so I don't plan on adding the lower fan to the heatsink, but I am interested in replacing the Corsair 120m fan. Is the Scythe you mention 120mmx38mm or 120mmx25mm? Also, is it difficult to replace the PSU fan? Do you just drop the fan in or must you mod the PSU? I'm thinking of picking up a Noctua NF-S12-1200 120mm Fan (48 CFM).

Thanks!!

The maximum size fan you can fit is 120mmx25mm. Replacing the fan is a piece of cake. On the bottom side of the PSU there are four small screws towards the outside of the case. Two in the front and two in the back. Remove those four screws and seperate the power supply. Cut the small white cable tie holding the wire bundle together and disconnect the two pin fan connector from the fan header. Remove the four screws from the cover that are securing the current fan. Remove the small rubber washers from the existing fan and install them on the new fan. Replace the fan grille and route the wires out through the fan grill opening. Reinstall the screws holding the fan to the cover and then reinstall the cover on the PSU. Install the four small screws you removed earlier. Install the PSU and plug the fan into a 3 pin fan header on your motherboard, 4x3 pin converter, or a fan controller. The Scythe fan is still really quiet at full speed and works quite well even when slowed down. I'd recommend something with at least 55 CFM if you're using it to draw air through a heatsink. You could go with a slower fan, but that sort of negates the fan replacement.

ingenious. i'm feeling tempted to try this just for the hell of it! so, have you tried it yet? will a 120x120x25 fan fit?

I mentioned the Corsair HX620 above. The PSU has a pretty robust fan, but the PSU does not want to spin it up. My PSU was very hot to the touch and it was still spinning away slowly. So I opened up the PSU and replaced the stock two wire fan with a three wire Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F 63.7 CFM.

In your opinion, would the SFF21E or SFF21D be sufficient?

System I'm building:
SugoSG01
C2D E6750 (I will be trying some moderate OC'ing)
Sugo NT-06 HS

I'm really hoping to keep the noise down, and if I can get away with the SFF21E vs. 21F, then I'll do it.

SFF21E:
1200RPM 20.1DBA 49.0CFM FDB

SFF21F:
1600RPM 28.0DBA 63.7CFM FDB

What do you guys think? I agree that the Corsair stock fine might be great and all, but I don't want it regulated by the PS needs... I want to be sure that the CPU is adequately cooled... in which case this solution is perfect. But I don't wanna overkill on the fan noise if possible.

thanks!

I agree that the Corsair stock fine might be great and all, but I don't want it regulated by the PS needs... I want to be sure that the CPU is adequately cooled... in which case this solution is perfect. But I don't wanna overkill on the fan noise if possible.
How about putting a 120mm PWM fan in the power supply and plugging it into the CPU-fan header? Then the fan will run according to the CPU temperature instead of the power-supply temperature.

How about putting a 120mm PWM fan in the power supply and plugging it into the CPU-fan header? Then the fan will run according to the CPU temperature instead of the power-supply temperature.

Yup, I've basically already decided to do that. So my question above was WHICH fan to go with.

I wanna find a nice balance of noise vs. cooling -- between 2 Scythe fans, I'd like to go with the quieter one if it will cool the CPU adequately... but I could use some help from more experienced folks making that decision.

System I'm building:
SugoSG01
C2D E6750 (I will be trying some moderate OC'ing)
Sugo NT-06 HS

I'm really hoping to keep the noise down, and if I can get away with the SFF21E vs. 21F, then I'll do it.

SFF21E:
1200RPM 20.1DBA 49.0CFM FDB

SFF21F:
1600RPM 28.0DBA 63.7CFM FDB

Yup, I've basically already decided to do that. So my question above was WHICH fan to go with.
But neither of those Scythe fans are PWM fans. AFAIK, LGA775 motherboards don't do voltage-levels speed-control on the CPU fan, only PWM speed control.

Of course, one could say that with a quiet enough fan it won't matter.

Scythe does make a 120mm PWM fan, the imaginatively named "Kama PWM". It appears to top off at 52.71 CFM.

I have been considering a SG01 or SG03 for my next rebuild, and have decided that if I go that route I will use the NT06-and-PSU-fan setup, with a Rexus 120mm PWM fan in my Silverstone PSU.

Back