Silverstone Modular 450W SFX (ST45SF-G) - Now has a product page - NextQ = When?

It's not quite possible to fit decent heatsinks in such a small enclosure as the SFX form factor.

My new v2.0 ST45SF-G, while not exactly loud, has the worst sounding fan I've ever heard.. ever. At idle all I can hear is its stupid crunchy sounding fan (and that's audible above 4 other fans). I'd throw that POS in the trash if I had any other option besides tearing it apart and trying to fix it myself. Really find it hard to believe that Silverstone spends this exorbitant amount of time on R&D for a $100 PSU, just to toss the nastiest junk fan they could possibly find in there :rolleyes:
Maybe I got lucky, or maybe I'm just not sensitive to it, but I never noticed the stock fan on my ST45SF-G sounding bad. Still on the loud side under load, but at idle it wasn't a problem.

I'm in the same boat as you Necere, but I have never even heard the fan under load --> my reference R9 290X wins in that regard.

I mean the fan noise may be blown out of proportion but in a quiet bedroom something about it drives me nuts...

Yes but 600W is twice the 300W. Unless it's super duper efficient, it will need active cooling.

Well if the actual load is only let's say 200Watt, only 200 Watts are going true that PSU

Let's say both the 300W rated PSU and the 600W rated PSU have an efficiency of 90% at loads around 200 Watt, that would in both cases lead to the same amount of heat generated (about 20 Watt).

I'm in the same boat as you Necere, but I have never even heard the fan under load --> my reference R9 290X wins in that regard.

Crap, I must retract my statement. Suddenly, the fan is quite noticeable now. I don't know what happened but it is louder than before. Maybe the fan's bearings are damaged ?

Crap, I must retract my statement. Suddenly, the fan is quite noticeable now. I don't know what happened but it is louder than before. Maybe the fan's bearings are damaged ?

Sorry to hear! :( I've noticed that my "crunchy" noise seems to come and go. It's usually constant, but occasionally it'll sound like a normal fan for a few seconds every once in a while. Not really sure how to describe the sound, but it sounds almost dirty.. like there's grit stuck inside with the bearings or something.

Just swapped out fans and removed the grille. I'm getting the clicking sound that another user reported a while back, even with the fan installed outside of the case. I think it is just a sound property of the fan.

Just out of curiosity, I emailed Noiseblocker support that some people are experiencing this clicking sound with the BlackSilentPro PC-P 80x15. Got a response from a Herr Döhring that you should apply for RMA and have the fan replaced.

Just out of curiosity, I emailed Noiseblocker support that some people are experiencing this clicking sound with the BlackSilentPro PC-P 80x15. Got a response from a Herr Döhring that you should apply for RMA and have the fan replaced.

Too bad the first thing I did was cut up and resolder the power cable :(

Not a cheap fan.

Too bad the first thing I did was cut up and resolder the power cable :(

Not a cheap fan.

Doesn't mean your RMA will be denied. Then more the problem then is that you don't have a working original stock fan of the PSU to replace.

Sorry to hear! :( I've noticed that my "crunchy" noise seems to come and go. It's usually constant, but occasionally it'll sound like a normal fan for a few seconds every once in a while. Not really sure how to describe the sound, but it sounds almost dirty.. like there's grit stuck inside with the bearings or something.
The crunchy noise might be explainable: I just changed the original fan with the NoiseBlocker (bye-bye noise) and I noticed one of the mains wires (the white one) was touching the fan. I jammed it away with a tiny screwdriver. That might be your problem and thus an easy fix.

The crunchy noise might be explainable: I just changed the original fan with the NoiseBlocker (bye-bye noise) and I noticed one of the mains wires (the white one) was touching the fan. I jammed it away with a tiny screwdriver. That might be your problem and thus an easy fix.

No I thought that at first too so I pulled the fan out of the PSU and ran it in open air... same noise

Wow, I'll have to take a closer look.. wires bouncing off the fan is probably never a good thing. Thanks!

I took pictures as I opened mine up again, the white wire was keeping the fan from turning around.

XEwebaC.png

QxhF5gc.png

I used the tiniest zip-tie I could find.

I took pictures as I opened mine up again, the white wire was keeping the fan from turning around.

I routed those wires around the big capacitor. They are carrying AC, so think best to have them away from secondary circuit.

I'm not that knowledgeable about electronics, so I just did it my "cable-routing" way :)
It also seemed to be like that originally, as the black cable was still glued down properly.
But atleast I know where to look now if something weird happens, thanks to you !

It also seemed to be like that originally, as the black cable was still glued down properly.

Curious. My memory of both my units is that it was pushed down, seemed logical to keep away from fan and DC circuitry. But now I look at the Chiphell, Jonnyguru and HardOCP reviews and seems like that wire is just of random length and placement. Sometimes tucked away, sometimes right along the heatsink. I wonder how many users have had trouble with noise from those wires rubbing on the fan blades.

I apologize in advance, since I know there's a lot of "is this powerful enough for this rig?" Qs. The response is generally "yes but no overclocking" depending on the system of course. I won't be overclocking, at least for a while, at which point the 600W version will be available.

BUT the GPU I have is factory overclocked, an EVGA GTX 780 SC reference style cooler, 941mhz version. I'm putting a HDD, SSD and an h60 cooler (which I assume takes a little more power than just a heatsink+fan). I did find responses that included comparables for each of these parts, but not all together and usually with one less part or a stock clocked 780 so I feel like there's a possibility I'd be using a little more power than the systems I'd found responses for. Maybe one of the gurus around here would be helpful and give me some feedback on if this will be stable?

-z87e-itx
-16gb 1600mhz 1.5v ram
-H60 cooler
-3TB WD hdd
-240gb Neutron GTX SSD
-780 SC mentioned above

Thanks for any help.

It's fine :)

What we know about the ST45SF-G is that the 450W designation is artificial. Likely Silverstone "downgraded" the max power output in order to have it score better in the 80Plus test, ie gold instead of silver efficiency rating. Testing by Chiphell has shown the unit capable of over 40 amps sustained (=480W) on the 12V rail alone. They said when it finally failed at 48 amps (=576W), it was due to overheating and not necessarily due to electrical limitation.

The reason we usually say "yes but no overclocking" is more because at higher draw, many units seem to suffer from increased voltage ripple. Then your GPU will crash because the voltage to the components is less stable. Enough juice, so to speak, but not a steady flow.

It's fine :)

What we know about the ST45SF-G is that the 450W designation is artificial. Likely Silverstone "downgraded" the max power output in order to have it score better in the 80Plus test, ie gold instead of silver efficiency rating. Testing by Chiphell has shown the unit capable of over 40 amps sustained (=480W) on the 12V rail alone. They said when it finally failed at 48 amps (=576W), it was due to overheating and not necessarily due to electrical limitation.

The reason we usually say "yes but no overclocking" is more because at higher draw, many units seem to suffer from increased voltage ripple. Then your GPU will crash because the voltage to the components is less stable. Enough juice, so to speak, but not a steady flow.

By GPU will crush, do you mean it will stop displaying/reboot or would it be damaged?

I mean the GPU will shut itself down. The ripple is not nearly so bad that it would cause damage. It's still well within ATX specification.

One of my biggest concerns is modifying electronics, which I would like to avoid doing with PSUs.

Is Silverstone taking any of the complaints with the ST45SF-G's stock fan to mind, and improving on the implementation with a quieter and just as good fan for the 600w?

Just putting it out there, this will be very important for me (as well as many others who value quiet-ness).

Is this PSU beefy enough to run a mildly overclocked 780ti without issue? How about moderately overclocked?

I'm planning to add the 780ti (probably the EVGA superclocked version) to my M1 build, and have been patiently awaiting the new 600W to materialize, but I'm running out of patience!

That said, anyone hear any whispers about the 600W?

It will be paired up with a 4770k oc'd to 4.2GHz, 16 GB ram, 256GB esata SSD, WD 2TB spinner -- pretty standard build, but I am not sure of the total power draw.

Thanks!

The GTX 780 Ti Superclocked still seems to be a smidge under the R9 290X reference's power consumption, something you could also have googled, by the way. Considering me and a few others are running an R9 290X without problems on a Core i5-4670K or i7-4770K without issue, it shouldn't be a problem.

Mind you that overclocking complicates this, as it stresses the PSU more. It might be enough and it might be too much, it all depends on how much you are going to overclock both.

I'd advise on waiting for the 600W version if you really need to overclock.

Seems to be showing a different AC plug and fan layout than the Enhance one we've seen. In fact the unit pictured looks like the ST45SF-G with a new label.

rgsbDydl.jpg

Is that a new set of cables they are showing on that page ?

EDIT: Okay so these are on Silverstone's official site now. That is indeed a new cable set — the PP05-E.

Seems to be showing a different AC plug and fan layout than the Enhance one we've seen. In fact the unit pictured looks like the ST45SF-G with a new label.

Yeah, the new SX600-G at CeBit is probably just the ST45SF-G with a new sticker for now.. still has v2.0 sticker on it as well.

Is that a new set of cables they are showing on that page ?

EDIT: Okay so these are on Silverstone's official site now. That is indeed a new cable set — the PP05-E.

Kinda new.. the PP05-E cable set has been out since around November.

Yeah, the new SX600-G at CeBit is probably just the ST45SF-G with a new sticker for now.. still has v2.0 sticker on it as well.

Not only that, but the mock-up sticker is using certification numbers from the older PSUs. Underwriters labs website doesn't yet list this in file E313296. Ecova also doesn't yet show certification for this PSU.

So I think it will be a while yet.

Kinda new.. the PP05-E cable set has been out since around November.
Really? After setting up my rig in September I spent some time looking around for cables sets and never stumbled upon the PP05-E set... Oh well...

Last solid info we had was that the 600w unit would release April or maybe after June. Subject to their (Silverstone) design, production and testing I guess. My money is on June or later because I'm always expecting the worse but hopefully Silverstone proves me wrong. :D

Underwriters labs website doesn't yet list this in file E313296. Ecova also doesn't yet show certification for this PSU.

Glad I'm not the only geek regularly checking for their SFX certifications :D

Based on past Silverstone PSUs, it'll be at least an additional 1 to 5 months until market availability once the PSU has been certified.

Laut Aussage des Herstellers wurde insbesondere darauf geachtet, die Betriebslautstärke durch den Lüfter weiter zu optimieren. Ein Preis wurde allerdings noch nicht angegeben.

According to the manufacturer, they put a lot of emphasis in further reducing the fan noise. :)

This is good news in a strange way.

They're apperently close to send out the new PSU.
They don't have the thing ready so they show what probably is a engineering example with a new/old sticker.

It's just to wait and see. Then hope silverstone is smart enough to send an example to JonnyGuru (for quality testing) and Techpowerup (for noise (I like their noise testing)).

Back