Silverstone Milo ml08 and Raven rvz02 mini-itx look pretty awesome

coconutboy

Gawd
hands-on with raven intro vid. They pack a pretty beefy system inside including a titan gtx, skylake 6700k, 2 ssds and an m.2 ssd.

with dust filters and handle
milo%20ML08B-H.jpg~original

w/ plexiglass windows
milo%20plexi%20windows.jpg~original

Raven model rvz02
Raven%20rvz02.jpg~original

Milo base model sells for ~$74, and can be fitted with a handle ($10) and/or windows.

Raven rvz02 offers window option, but no handle.

Anyone gotten to see one of these up close and tinker with it? Both cases look like excellent refinements over previous models. I especially like the slim footprint (gimme back my desk space!) and handle. I'm curious about the fit and finish of both. Unlike all the other pix I've seen, the zoomed-in close ups of the handle on newegg don't look well fitted, but then again, newegg was also too lazy to remove the tape covering the front usb port slot. This is a better shot.

milo%20front%20io.jpg~original

The use of a riser to separate the vid card into it's own compartment has been done by several companies in the past, but this implementation looks especially slick and well engineered. I'm not too fond of the look of the dust filters (both the gpu and cpu intakes have them), but the fact a case this tiny and slim even has dust filters is awesome. If those are too ugly? Forego them and slap on optional windows. I'm impressed.

milo%20gpu%20tray.jpg~original

milo%20gpu%20in%20action.jpg~original

People who wanna load up on radiators won't be interested, and there's also zero case fans to aid in venting air, but it'd be extremely difficult to build a slim and slick itx case like this as shown by the few modders crazy (and skilled) enough to do both here at the [H] and bit-tech. Even then, those guys always end up having major headaches and sometimes spend years trying to create a solid design so I think Silverstone has done well by comparison. The slim width also means noise from the cpu and gpu fans is headed straight out of the case with almost zero baffling to dampen the whine; component choice is critical for low noise (blower gpu or not? I'm thinking blower).

I was about to pull the trigger on a new i7-5820k and slap it into my beastly Lian Li tower, but it might just be time to pick up a cooler-running i7-6700 instead, slap it into one of these, and reclaim my desk! Wonder if I could somehow modify those fugly air filters?

Raven%20rvz02%20interior.jpg~original

Last edited:
bit-tech reviewed the Raven rvz02 and it gave it the thumbs up. Since the newer version 2 cases are slimmer and don't have 2-3 120mm intake fans, it's to be expected that the cooling performance isn't as chart-topping as the original Raven rvz01 & Fortress ftz01.

Great time to be building mini-itx and micro-atx cases. Phanteks, BitFenix, Corsair, Silverstone and others have really been pushing the envelope. I'm looking for someone to build a case with:

~ dust filters
~ at least a 120mm radiator mount for the cpu, but preferably 140mm or even 240mm
~ ease-of-use and solid cable routing of the the 2nd milo/raven
~ small footprint. Case can be tall, wide or even deep, but not all 3. I want my desktop space back
~ solid cooling a top-end graphics card
~ room for at least 2x 2.5" drives and preferably 1 additional 3.5" hdd for a total of 3 drives
~ 5.25" bay or at least a slimline optical drive mount

Only a few cases tick most of those and the few that come closest tend to have PITA cable routing, no dust filters, or a large footprint that is closer to some atx cubes. I posted this in another forum, and hopefully Silverstone's 3rd revision will nail it:

I'd really love to see a design similar to these cases, but with an added area for mounting a 240-280mm radiator. The case could be made a bit taller, wider, whatever. Perhaps taller with a slot on the bottom with side-firing rad; combined with the rad/water weight and a low slung PSU, the weight would keep the case bottom-heavy. Or maybe the case is ~2-3 inches wider overall for a horizontally-mounted rad exhausting through the roof. Something similar to these Silverstone designs with an overall slim and/or small footprint and 240mm or more worth of rad space is exactly what I'm looking for in my next case.

How's this case at keeping dust away the components? One of the primary reason I moved from a Haf x to the ft02 is taht I can leave the pc running for a few months and have to only do some very light dusting.

How's this case at keeping dust away the components? One of the primary reason I moved from a Haf x to the ft02 is taht I can leave the pc running for a few months and have to only do some very light dusting.

Both RVZ02 non-window version and ML08 have dust filters on both sides of the case.

Back