Silverstone LC02 Clone (ebay deal) discussion

Quick thoughts:

Wow. No top vent. Sorry you drew the short straw. I would be in trouble with my quad.

The Scythe Shuriken will still fit in your case, and it would definitely help keep your CPU temps down. You could blow it down onto the CPU or up away from the CPU. Either way, if you run into CPU heat or HSF noise, that would be a good option.

That slot cooler doesn't intake air from what I can tell. It just blows air around.

You might want to consider Thermaltake's dual slot PCI fan. I assume with some undervolting it would be your best airflow/noise ratio. If you did get this, you might want both side fans blowing into the case then the PSU fan and PCI fan would be exhausting.

Maybe it would be worthwhile to contact the seller if/when you buy another one to see about buying a lid with vents?

Regarding the size, yeah. It's basically exactly as big as an ATX mobo with a little room for a PSU.

Hehe, yea it was like drawing the short straw. Going to use the the 45w 210e, undervolted if necessary, so i'm hoping to avoid the added expense of a $40 heatsink since i'm doing some price sensitive hardware swaps and upgrades.

I had read that there were slot-type coolers that intake air, it may not be true but i'll investigate.

It'll def need something off the beaten path to get it to work right.

report back with your findings. I think I would be interested in a quiet slot fan intake.

I also received a unit with no top cover vent.

I added some Arctic cooling 80mm fans to both side vents with low voltages. Seems to do the trick.

I added some Arctic cooling 80mm fans to both side vents with low voltages. Seems to do the trick.
blowing in which direction?

riddlinkidstoner do I remember you from the sundhian forums? The Biostar Ideq forum maybe?

report back with your findings. I think I would be interested in a quiet slot fan intake.
Found it, the Antec VCOOL, 3 speeds, a shorter and longer version is available, and priced to sell: http://www.google.com/search?q=antec+VCool&hl=en&tbs=shop:1&aq=f

I guess i'm not the only one. Thanks for the idea, i'll probably try that first, but i'm going to bookmark the Antec vcool just in case.

I'd probably use both of them as intakes as i'd rather have positive air pressure, but i may get a slightly more powerful fan as an intake and a weaker fan for an exhaust, just to keep it balanced.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Ok. i may have made some progress in this area.
Im using a Asrock a33ion motherboard and i didn't realize that it has an ir serial port. So trying to get the ir to work i plugged it into one of the usb jumpers on the board and Windows 7 detects and installs it as a ir receiver. Problem is that im trying to use this in conjunction with Linux

Hmm, thanks for the bump reminder. I may just have to take the plunge on this. I killed my PSU in one of my room HTPC cases (this case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...1121100&cm_re=hec_case-_-11-121-100-_-Product ). A replacement PSU is going to run around $35/shipped ($45 for a good one).

I checked the drive part# for the combo and they are currently (as of today) selling for $25/shipped on Ebay from the same seller (I checked the "sold" log). So that brings the price to $25 for the case since I have no need for the drive (stream everything from the server which has a DVD drive).

Just a heads up on how to cut costs if you don't want/need a slim drive.

My setup ran hot to the point of instability/crashing. The PSU would get very hot (minimal load) which would make the whole case very warm to the touch. The case was then acting like a radiator and warming the intake air. As soon as I removed the lid off the case I haven't had any heat related issues. Now, the PSU doesn't even get warm to the touch.

With my setup I can get away with leaving the lid off. With the low height clearance in my compontent bay you can't even tell.

PSU ventilation is key with this case! If you got a version of this case without the vent above the CPU area, be warned!

My setup ran hot to the point of instability/crashing. The PSU would get very hot (minimal load) which would make the whole case very warm to the touch. The case was then acting like a radiator and warming the intake air. As soon as I removed the lid off the case I haven't had any heat related issues. Now, the PSU doesn't even get warm to the touch.

With my setup I can get away with leaving the lid off. With the low height clearance in my compontent bay you can't even tell.

PSU ventilation is key with this case! If you got a version of this case without the vent above the CPU area, be warned!

What's the specs? Most HTPC cases (especially ones like these based on older designs) aren't made to handle much.

Also, it's a great idea to remove the case's lid if it's going to sit in an equipment rack/A/V stand/cabinet. :)

Thread Necro....

So does anyone know if these cases can still be bought.. The Rosewill mITX I have for my grandmothers system died (rather the rosewill psu) so I am looking for an inexpensive ITX case that takes a slim optical & a 3.5" HDD & there in short supply..

Back