silverstone FT05 water vs air cooling opinions

Dustins

Limp Gawd
I just placed my order for my ft05 and my g1 gtx 970. My questions is; I'm coming from a fully water cooled ft02. I was thinking of just going full air cooling in the ft05(I want to get away from buying gpu waterblocks every upgrade). If I put a 360 rad in the bottom of the ft05 and watercooled only the cpu would it be worth it over just going all air? Would losing the 180 fans kind of kill what makes the ft05 great(the high air flow)? Looking for quiet and only moderate overclocks.. nothing crazy.

I'm in the same situation, fully watercooled FT-02 and I like the new FT-05. Do you think its possible to fit a 2x180mm normal sized or slim radiator on top of the 2 180mm fans? From the pictures I saw in several reviews it should be alright, very tight though. The HDD cage would have to be removed of course but that wouldn't be a problem in my case.

I would go with air cooled. Watercooling the CPU alone generally isn't worth it, as the gains aren't as significant over air as compared to watercooling the GPUs.

I am guessing there will be as much room as the ft02 and a 2x180mm rad should fit. The case should be here on Wednesday, if anyone needs measurements/pictures/etc just let me know.

Just get a nice AIO for the cpu and the GPU will be fine, especially the 970 in the FT05.

OK, ik this thread is from a while ago, but i would like to share how i watercooled my ft05.

ITs really tihgt to do, but here are my pics
IMG_20150201_102525575.jpg

IMG_20150201_102548690.jpg

IMG_20150201_153306631.jpg

IMG_20150201_192206612.jpg

IMG_20150201_192223704.jpg

Looks like you would benefit from a modular PSU.

But really, aren't the FT02 and FT05 exactly the wrong cases for water cooling? Unless you're fitting an 120mm AIO cooler to the fitting above the CPU, doesn't having the radiator at the bottom mean that the whole thing is bathed in hot air?

But really, aren't the FT02 and FT05 exactly the wrong cases for water cooling? Unless you're fitting an 120mm AIO cooler to the fitting above the CPU, doesn't having the radiator at the bottom mean that the whole thing is bathed in hot air?

yes, i deffinatly would. Im doing to make a psu shroud.

Not really. My temps under load:
CPU (fx-6300) 38 degrees, after 2 hours of prime95
GPU (Hd 7850 direct CU) 60 degrees, after a few hours of folding

The gpu is the same as before i put the rad in, so the hot air raises it by only a degree or two.

And the motherboard temp is about 38 degrees under load as well.

Technically, yes, but practically the air isn't really that much hotter than ambient. Certainly not enough hotter to make any difference.

Back