Silverstone FT03... matx

Even though it looks like it can fit, can it work with the FT03? It's not listed in Performance PC's compat list.

Yes, it's compatible. Like I said in a previous post, I got one earlier this week and it's in my FT03 now. Before buying one from SilverStone, I showed them the one from PPCs and they said it's the same thing as the one I got from them (SilverStone).

Ah :)

Thank you!

I've been looking for a USB3 header for a while, now. Of course, the Max IV GENE's USB3 is not perfect, but more ports can never hurt :D

What's wrong with the M4GZ's USB3? Haven't had any problems with mine.

I guess my install should of been refreshed, since it's been cloned from a HDD that's been on the same Win7 install that has survived some Intel->AMD->Intel transitions, lol... I've just been lazy :(

But the main issue is, if I plug in something, unplug it, then rapidly plug it back in again, it bluescreens the computer. Only the USB3 ports on the back (I dunno about the mobo header ones, though they are driven by an identical IC, iirc). The USB3 driver is shown as the culprit. Sometimes, if it's been cycled through several standby sessions, it will BSOD when I plug in my android devices (Nook Color, HTC Aria, didn't test Atrix) to charge.

It may simply be a bad front port header that's causing a short, too, either way, I got a lot of work this weekend :( I'm going to insert some random comment about Adobe and XSI (autodesk) software being oversized and not having the best lic. systems in the world.

What version of the USB3 driver are you running? The latest I've found (and am using is 1.12.5.0).

Last edited:
1.2.9.0 from NOV 15 2010
The latest/launch drivers from ASUS, iirc, as I checked about 3 days ago or so.

EDIT: oh, thank you! WIll test, but I got lunch, so I'll probably pop in tonight with a happy or sad face.

Thank you for both items and your help! :D

Hey guys,

Just heard back from Silverstone with regards to the upgraded USB3.0 module. It will be available on scan.co.uk within the next few days.

article no. LN40992.

Was going to get one of these until I saw the build quality issues. Fractal Design Mini here I come!

Yes, it's compatible. Like I said in a previous post, I got one earlier this week and it's in my FT03 now. Before buying one from SilverStone, I showed them the one from PPCs and they said it's the same thing as the one I got from them (SilverStone).

Indeed. Though be forewarned, the HD Audio cable is shorter than the original... I was routing the cable through the rear of the case to make things much tidier, but not so with the new able, gotta route it over the board and under the videocards..

It was long enough for my board (Maximus IV Gene-Z), but SilverStone included an extension anyway when I asked if the HD audio cable would be long enough.

I have a PSU question about this case. My PSU (Ultra X3 1000W) is 190mm long and modular. I'm hoping hoping that this will fit in this case, but by the specs, I shouldn't hold my breath. Can anyone give me a glimmer of hope that this will actually fit? Like if I super cram it in? Thank you.

It was long enough for my board (Maximus IV Gene-Z), but SilverStone included an extension anyway when I asked if the HD audio cable would be long enough.
It was long enough to route through the back (I've got a Gene-Z also)? Not for the one I received from pc-performance... Though the original was long enough. I guess I'll scrape off that gunk and use the original HD Audio Cable.

I´am planning on buying the FT03 and replace all the stock fans.
Got my eye on the noiseblocker 120mm fan.

It comes with rubber `connectors´ instead of screws for silence purposes obviously.
Does anyone have experience with these things and the FT03? Do they connect properly?

I`am thinking about using a Thermalright HR-02 as a passive cooler for an Core i5 2500k
Since the fan obove the optical drive blows air towards the tower and the exhaust fan in top of the case is very close to the cooler due to the `off-center´ design of the HR-02, I figured that this would be sufficient cooling. I won´t be attaching another fan to the tower itself. I´am nog going to overclock right now, just want to build a silent machine for now.

Good or bad idea? :D

Can I use the Silverstone Short Cable Set with OCZ or Corsair?
If not, how bad is cable management without the short kit using Non-Strider PSU?

Thanks all.

No, you can't use that cable kit with PSU from other manufacturers. And how bad depends how much space you have free at hard drive area. With no hard drives and just one SSD, you got plenty of space here.

I´am planning on buying the FT03 and replace all the stock fans.
Got my eye on the noiseblocker 120mm fan.

It comes with rubber `connectors´ instead of screws for silence purposes obviously.
Does anyone have experience with these things and the FT03? Do they connect properly?

I`am thinking about using a Thermalright HR-02 as a passive cooler for an Core i5 2500k
Since the fan obove the optical drive blows air towards the tower and the exhaust fan in top of the case is very close to the cooler due to the `off-center´ design of the HR-02, I figured that this would be sufficient cooling. I won´t be attaching another fan to the tower itself. I´am nog going to overclock right now, just want to build a silent machine for now.

Good or bad idea? :D

I got my ft03 built done in april with an HR02 cooling a core i7 2600k overclocked at 4100mhz. I replaced all the stock coolers. My choice were three 120mm BeQuiet silent wings PWM which are very quiet and seam effective. They have silicon sticks to easily attach to the cooler chassis frame. I think its what u mean with rubber.
If u decide to use that fan above the drive, u can only set the HR02 in one direction, else it won't fit. It will also be right next to that PCIe 16/3 slot (theres an 5mm gap between card and cooler).
Be sure to take low profile RAM like Gskill ripjaws, because my Corsair Vengeane were too long for that massive HR02 :p

I may be posting some pics if i get the time later on.

Ahh btw. the temps on my i7 2600k are ok. On idle ~35° on full load its 60-65° depending on room temps.

cheers

Finishing up my FT03 order. Want to ask the Board what CPU water cooler?
H70 or Antec 920? or anything else H60,H80?

2600k OC'd hopefully to 4.6
Asus GeneIV-Z
8gb g.skill 1600
2x6950 2gb CF hopefully 6970 unlock
120gb vertex2, 1tb WD black
strider 850w Gold

Thanks guys

Question to anyone, who have more than one SSD in FT03 - what adapter did you use for mounting SSD in the hard drive position ? Because of the special screws, most 3,5=>2,5" adapters needs special screws, which interfere with the length needed for the hard drive mounts in FT03.

Thanks for help.

Question to anyone, who have more than one SSD in FT03 - what adapter did you use for mounting SSD in the hard drive position ? Because of the special screws, most 3,5=>2,5" adapters needs special screws, which interfere with the length needed for the hard drive mounts in FT03.

Thanks for help.

I'm using the Silverstone 2 2.5" to one 3.5", works fine without any screw problems, it's the SDP08 one.

Edit: It does make cabling a bit more challenging, because the SSDs are right on top of one another, had to use molex to sata power adaptors to be able to plug both drives in.

Yeah, that's the one, here's a pic:

DSC_0429.jpg

So finally got mine complete. Here's a couple pics..

System:
i7 2600k @ 4.6ghz
570 GTX @ 840C, 1680S, 2000M
Asus Gene-Z
8GB Corsair Vengeance
120GB SSD
1TB Black Caviar
1TB Green Caviar
750W Enermax PSU

Cooling
EK-HK Blocks
240 & 120mm Rad
Swiftech 35X Pump
3 x 120 Nocuta P12s
1 x 120 Noctua 12B
2 x 80 Noctua

Filter, What are you using for cooling with the 2x GTX580?
I went with 2x6970 but havent decided on H70 for CPU

Filter, What are you using for cooling with the 2x GTX580?
I went with 2x6970 but havent decided on H70 for CPU

H60 @4.6ghz. And stock cooling on the 580s

I replaced all fans with gentle typhoons ap 15's

I got my ft03 built done in april with an HR02 cooling a core i7 2600k overclocked at 4100mhz. I replaced all the stock coolers. My choice were three 120mm BeQuiet silent wings PWM which are very quiet and seam effective. They have silicon sticks to easily attach to the cooler chassis frame. I think its what u mean with rubber.
If u decide to use that fan above the drive, u can only set the HR02 in one direction, else it won't fit. It will also be right next to that PCIe 16/3 slot (theres an 5mm gap between card and cooler).
Be sure to take low profile RAM like Gskill ripjaws, because my Corsair Vengeane were too long for that massive HR02 :p

I may be posting some pics if i get the time later on.

Ahh btw. the temps on my i7 2600k are ok. On idle ~35° on full load its 60-65° depending on room temps.

cheers

Thanks for the advice!
Those silentwing coolers look great and yes i meant sillicon sticks :)
What gpu solution do you have if i may ask? Finding a low-noise solution seems hard..

Please, post pics! :D

Do you have pics of it on the outside?
Hey Klasik,

It's completely standard on the outside accept for the back where i had to cut a hole for the 240 rad. Looks a bit ugly in this picture as i've yet to bend some modders mesh into the hole to make it all pretty like ;D~

Guys, can you please measure sth for me?
I have some plans with this case and wanted to know how much space is there on top of that panel, showed on image....

Thanks!

picture.php

So I'm going to be building in one of these soon (silver one) and need some advice on cooling.

Parts are going to be:
i7-2700k (whenever it's released)
Maximus IV Gene-Z Gen3 (whenever it's released)
4x4GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz Low-Voltage
256GB Crucial M4
Reference GTX 580 (aftermarket seems to be a no-no), possibly 2 of them
Sony Optiarc Slot-Loading Combo
850W Cooler Master Silent Pro M850
3x Noctua 120mm and 1x 80mm Scythe fans, repurposed from another machine so don't have the models on-hand

I'm debating between the Noctua NH-D14, the Corsair H80 and the Antec 920. I had a good experience with the H60 in my current build since the installation is dead-simple (I hate mucking around with thermal paste). I understand the NH-D14 will be quieter but I also understand that's at the expense of the CPU/Mobo side fan. At the same time, I'm certain the H80 and 920 will disallow usage of the GPU fan at the top of the case.

Right now I'm leaning towards the NH-D14. My plan is to orient the fans in pull-pull towards the top (i.e. fan in the middle, and fan at the rear of the cooler) so that I can use a Noctua 120mm as a CPU/Mobo side fan, and then mount the top 120mm fan outside the chassis, keep the GPU exhaust fan and end up using all of my fans. Viable?

Last edited:
I just received my Silverstone FT-03 (silver!) and preparing my build. I totally love this case design for my desk, and the fact that there are not many compromises to be made in hardware.

Motherboard is a MAximus Gene-Z
CPU a 2600k that cna hit 5GHz on air
ram is Corsair Vengeance 8gb
PSU a Strider 1000W-P

I am in the process of choosing a cpu cooler and a graphics card and here I need your help.
On the graphics card side, I am leaning towards a GTX580 (had a 6970 and though very decent for th emoney, I wanted something stronger). The thing is, I know with the case design they suggest the reference cooler, but I want to make my rig as silent as possible. After all it will be on my desk 30cm from my head...and after overclocking, I don't think the stock cooler will be quiet enough... Moreover I don't plan on SLI-ing so I got all 4 slots open and I think a decent cooler even though dumping heat in my case will be ok to stay silent...

On the CPU cooler side, it looks like a nightmare to choose a strong cooler while keeping the 90degree fan of the case in place (and not sacrifising the coolers push fan) and also not hitting the VGA card.
You see, the maximus as with most m-atx mobos, has the pci-e slot in the first position and any cooler above 140mm width has a serious chance of hitting the GPU...
To make matters worse, my CPU is a handpicked 2600k that can do 5ghz on air, but to do that I need good air cooling, so if I use a small cooler I will sacrifice this possibility...
Could you suggest any decent coolers that wont require removing the 90degree fan?
Assuming I have to remove is, is it that bad? Has anyone tested what kind of impact is has on temperatures? I mean, without it, but with a huge cpu cooler, could the push fan stil take air from the outside of the case without more help?
I also measured that on the plastic thing, a 92mm fan would fit....so maybe without the 90degree 120mm fan but with a 92mm fan there to push fresh air in the case for the cpu cooler, it wold be a nice compromise?

Last but not least, because I've seen many of you trying to use the onboard usb3s and showing that silverstone expensive and hard to find adapter....I think this will be pretty fine for you and cheap, I know I'm gonna get one anyway.... :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...ory=31491&_trksid=p5197.c0.m619#ht_4365wt_905

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Get a Corsair H80 for your CPU. I use one of XFX's dual fan 6950 in my case and temps. didn't change much from when I had the stock 6950.

The replacement USB3.0 module for the SilverStone is easy to get (if you're in the US). Performance-PCs has it and a short call to SilverStone is another option. If you can afford all those parts, you can afford the $18 for the module.

Back