Silly name mistake in Windowx XP Pro

CRXican

[H]ard|Gawd
I just installed Windows XP Pro, previously had Home. I always get mixed up during install when asked what I want to name the PC and such.

Currently, my user folder under C:\Documents and Settings is named after a choice I made during install. I really don't care for this name now that I think about it.

I can not right click to change the name because I get a warning message telling me this is a system file and cannot be changed or renamed.

Is there an easy way to change this or am I just going to have to live with it?

I'm not quite sure what it is to be confused about when it asks for a computer name, so I might not be following along here. It sounds like you want to change the username. To change this, go into the Management Console, under Users and Groups, and then you can rename any user account.

To change the directory name without causing issues, reboot, then log in as a different user with admin rights.

Rename the directory.

Go to the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

Find the subkey with the path to the folder you renamed as the "ProfileImagePath" value, and change it to match the new name. Rename the user account to match if desired.

Log off and back on as the other user. Everything should be working fine.

Back