Silly me: using a 10 year old Seasonic 330w to OC an i4770k

c3k

2[H]4U
Like the title says, silly me!

I've got a temporary build going with an i4770k while I transition out of my old q6600. To power the 4770k and Asus Z87 Pro I'm using my 10yr old Seasonic 330w psu, sitting on the table, cords snaking everywhere. No, not too pretty. Plus, I'm using the onboard GPU for graphics.

Amazingly, I can OC to 4.7Ghz before I BSOD. This little power supply is the engine that could.

I'd like to think that once I install my dedicated graphics card and my Seasonic X750, that I'll see some improved clocks!

I'll post an update, just to let you folks know how important a PSU power rating is for higher OC's. I'm kinda curious...

Ken

LOL, I'm amazed you reached that high.
I actually made mine pop with an i7-920, a radeon x1300 and a Sabertooth when I reached close to 4ghz about 2 years ago. Before that, I was running a q9550 on it.

I was trying to see how much I could get out of it while my new psu was in the mail, I kept pushing, I reached 3.8 and was amazed that it was stable, so I pushed close to 3.9 ghz and *POP* on reboot.
I thought at most it would've shutdown or caused me BSODs.
Was scared that it would've killed everything, but lucky for me, it only damaged the POS X1300 (Lines in text mode).

If you aren't stressing then it really doesn't matter. Overclocking and just trying to boot into windows will not strain the power supply. The 4770k TDP is 84 Watts. At 4.7Ghz it is around 175 Watts fully loaded being stressed. Now factor in you aren't using a stand alone gpu then there is no reason the 330 Watts shouldn't work.

You should test the overclock with Intel Burn Test and set it to use all the ram and see how stable it is. Once you get everything set up and a new power supply. What voltage was you using for 4.7Ghz and what was the temps also? Good luck.

Amazingly, I can OC to 4.7Ghz before I BSOD. This little power supply is the engine that could.

I'd like to think that once I install my dedicated graphics card and my Seasonic X750, that I'll see some improved clocks!

Ken

So true. That psu is not being stressed at all. My FX-8350 can run stress testing all day long on my 300W Seasonic PSU. Only reason you need a new psu is if you are getting a power hungry gpu. I don't expect you oc to improve.

Ive got a seasonic S12 330W, its a great little PSU. It will actually run my sig rig without any obvious issues. Just to be on the safe side i upgraded though.

I just got my first seasonic PSU the other day and installed it today. I got a Seasonic SS-660XP2 because at the time I could get it for $100. Holy crap they really are freaking nice PSUs. I can see this guy lasting 10+ years. I thought my old Antec that I got back in 2002 was quality but it is not nearly as nice as this little guy

Back