Silicon Valley's Bloody Plant Burger Smells, Tastes And Sizzles Like Meat

Gout has to do with eating habits, not weight. To much protein in lean meats and cheese is a major cause.

I'm well aware. However, to assume all I eat is lean turkey is silly. I just don't eat red meat as much as I use to. Shouldn't make assumptions. I might have red meat once to twice a month. Chicken and Turkey being my main meats of choice. One, because I prefer the flavor. Two, because it's cheaper. I also eat a lot of vegetables and fruits.

I'm well aware. However, to assume all I eat is lean turkey is silly. I just don't eat red meat as much as I use to. Shouldn't make assumptions. I might have red meat once to twice a month. Chicken and Turkey being my main meats of choice. One, because I prefer the flavor. Two, because it's cheaper.

I didn't assume anything other then that you inferred 15% body fat had anything to do with it, otherwise why post that? In shape people can get it too? Also, it was a joke post so lighten up bro.

I didn't assume anything other then that you inferred 15% body fat had anything to do with it, otherwise why post that? In shape people can get it too? Also, it was a joke post so lighten up bro.

It's completely impossible to determine sarcasm on the internet. Tone and affliction isn't something that is apparent.

Fucking A, case in point, "Mexican" Coca Cola, sooooo much better tasting than the HFCS loaded version we have in the US.

I literally grew up on Coca-Cola and I actually prefer to HFCS version which is weird because I prefer other real sugar sodas like Black Cherry, Cream Soda, Sierra Mist, Dr Pepper, even Pepsi(which I hate the HFCS version). But with Coca-Cola it just doesn't taste like good old fashioned Coke from my childhood without HFCS.

Eh... she's a TV chef BECAUSE she looks like that, not because 51 year olds normally look like that regardless of what they eat. Some making that kind of comparison is kind of silly, while yeah the health nut doesn't clean up well even if you doused her in bleach making the comparison of how fuckable one looks does not exactly speak to their overall health.
Not arguing your point at all (about being a TV chef because of her looks), but most of the 50-somethings I know in my personal life look more like Nigella than Gillian. Gillian looks like my grandmother when she died of lung cancer at age 74...

Definitely agree. If I could find someplace in the US that actually made decent Manchurian Cauliflower I could be 100% vegetarian. Alas, no place that has even had it on the menu makes a decent version of it.

What you are looking for is: gobi manchurian found at Indian restaurants. There is one near me in Phoenix where I get that every time, even though I normally order a meat based main dish.

My God, being vegan or vegetarian must be exhausting... you can't seem to eat anything without a backstory or moral anecdote to accompany it.

I like to just sit down and eat without analyzing the supply chain of my meal. Meat and potatoes for me!

Fucking A, case in point, "Mexican" Coca Cola, sooooo much better tasting than the HFCS loaded version we have in the US.
The difference has little to do with Sugar vs HFCS. There's roughly 2x as much salt in Mexican Coke (85mg vs 45mg). It may have more carbonation too. I've run the experiment by adding salt (in small quantities to a U.S. coke and while it's virtually impossible to get the exact amount of salt right, it definitely gets it closer.

Of course there are also differences between Canned coke vs Bottles of Coke. I also know people who don't like Mexican coke as much (but they have no taste).

I literally grew up on Coca-Cola and I actually prefer to HFCS version which is weird because I prefer other real sugar sodas like Black Cherry, Cream Soda, Sierra Mist, Dr Pepper, even Pepsi(which I hate the HFCS version). But with Coca-Cola it just doesn't taste like good old fashioned Coke from my childhood without HFCS.
When did you grow up? 80s or 90s?

My God, being vegan or vegetarian must be exhausting... you can't seem to eat anything without a backstory or moral anecdote to accompany it.

I like to just sit down and eat without analyzing the supply chain of my meal. Meat and potatoes for me!
Vegetarian doesn't seem that complicated. Vegan is essentially a religion. I get it. I even agree with some of it -- factory farming is bad, especially for pigs and milk cows -- but I know a guy who travelled to a concert with tons of food and things to prepare it in the hotel. Vegans, IME< are far more judgemental and often spout BS like man is supposed to be vegetarian (or vegan) which is total BS. If we were only supposed to eat vegetables, we wouldn't be able to live on meat. We're omnivores through and through.

AbYEvVo.png

I have no fucking clue what that could possibly be. And I am not brave enough to search that term on my work PC.

I have a jar of it in my fridge. It's just oil and soy emulsifiers, a few herbs and spices.

I personally make my own mayo. 2 yolks, 500ml oil, salt and white wine vinegar. Tastes much better than any jarred stuff.

Based on historical evidence of claims like this..I call "Bullshit" until proven otherwise. "Beyond Meat" claimed the same thing not long back and while it is certainly the best fake meat I've eaten, It tasted nothing like it and the texture was not even close. It works pretty darn well in saucy type things like taco's and chili, but it isn't replacing a hamburger anytime soon. I'm all for fake meat if they ever get it right. I don't have an intrinsic need for an animal to die for me to eat. I am not however going to compromise on taste and texture. At this point I lump this crap into the same argument people use for diet soda's trying to claim they taste the same. No..they fucking don't.

Also Vegan mayo is just plain disgusting. The simple fact that they used that crap is enough evidence for me that those who taste it have dead taste buds.

Based on historical evidence of claims like this..I call "Bullshit" until proven otherwise. "Beyond Meat" claimed the same thing not long back and while it is certainly the best fake meat I've eaten, It tasted nothing like it and the texture was not even close. It works pretty darn well in saucy type things like taco's and chili, but it isn't replacing a hamburger anytime soon. I'm all for fake meat if they ever get it right. I don't have an intrinsic need for an animal to die for me to eat. I am not however going to compromise on taste and texture. At this point I lump this crap into the same argument people use for diet soda's trying to claim they taste the same. No..they fucking don't.

Also Vegan mayo is just plain disgusting. The simple fact that they used that crap is enough evidence for me that those who taste it have dead taste buds.
I generally agree with the bolded text, but I must say, Coke ZERO tastes pretty damn similar to regular Coke. It is definitely the best of the diet soft drinks that I've tried.

Gout has to do with eating habits, not weight. To much foods like beer, lean meats and cheese causes uric acid to skyrocket.

Don't forget about water sources either. Most if not all public water supplies have very high PH levels. Its funny, I used to laugh at people who drink that Fiji water, but as it turns out it has the lowest PH levels.

The reason meat gets front and center in meals is there are few other digestible foodstuffs in the wild that has such a concentration of kcal and protein in it.

That's not the reason at all.

It's front and center because its dirt cheap to produce and doesn't take up the space that produce does. The 4 or so feedlots in the US that supply all of the beef everyone consumes in this country takes up much much less space than what is needed to grow a diverse set of good produce. It's only because of these economics that we all believe that meat should be in every single meal and why its much cheaper to order than something without meat in it. They keep supply through the roof, prices down, and the demand never stops because at the end of the day, its food and humans can't survive without food. So it's shoved in everyone's face and you're literally taking it as fact that there is no way to get better protein than meat. It's good advertising, business, and economics all in a one big package.

I don't think it's a stretch at all to say that the meat industry's push to move all their product has brainwashed the population into thinking we must, absolutely must, have a meal with a meat-based protein in it...for every meal. It's ludicrous.

Disclaimer btw.....I'm a vegetarian entirely for dietary purposes. I don't delude myself with a 'grand purpose' of saving animals and being ethical with them. You won't catch me going off on the typical stuff that non-meat eaters usually go off on. Instead I go off on how shitty our food industry has become for flooding the markets with so much non-food, processed shit, and, while I'm at it, shitty meat. If anyone on this forum has ever had beef or chicken that was raised in an actual farm, by someone you know perhaps, they'd be able to confirm that. I've eaten truly naturally raised beef that came directly from a family friend's ranch and there's a significant difference in quality over anything that can be purchased at regular supermarkets. How it looks, cooks, and tastes.

Last edited:
Born 89 so 90s.
OK, so post sugar in U.S. I can't be 100% sure, because of the break between original Coke and Classic (not just called Coke), but I don't recall them tasting different (and I can differentiate between Mexican, Can and Plastic Bottle...don't like/buy the little U.S. bottles). Some day I'll come across a scale that measures milligrams and I'll just ad 40 mg to a can of coke and see what happens.

I'm with you mostly on diets, but the one time I tried Coke Zero, it was very close. As I've said elsewhere, I can differentiate between a 20 oz bottle of coke and a can of Coke, and Zero is definitely very close to regular coke. Arguably a can of Zero is closer to a can of Coke than a bottle of Coke is to a can (which is fairly close). That said, I stick regular cokes ;)

That isn't correct in the slightest but I won't be supplying the information since it's all out there.

It's front and center because its dirt cheap to produce and doesn't take up the space that produce does. The 4 or so feedlots in the US that supply all of the beef everyone consumes in this country takes up much much less space than what is needed to grow a diverse set of good produce. It's only because of these economics that we all believe that meat should be in every single meal and why its much cheaper to order than something without meat in it. They keep supply through the roof, prices down, and the demand never stops because at the end of the day, its food and humans can't survive without food. So it's shoved in everyone's face and you're literally taking it as fact that there is no way to get better protein than meat. It's good advertising, business, and economics all in a one big package.

I don't think it's a stretch at all to say that the meat industry's push to move all their product has brainwashed the population into thinking we must, absolutely must, have a meal with a meat-based protein in it...for every meal. It's ludicrous.

Well of course HFCS isn't for nutrition. It's for sweetening, just like Sugar. Neither are needed. We eat it, because we're wired to like sweet foods.

OK, so post sugar in U.S. I can't be 100% sure, because of the break between original Coke and Classic (not just called Coke), but I don't recall them tasting different (and I can differentiate between Mexican, Can and Plastic Bottle...don't like/buy the little U.S. bottles). Some day I'll come across a scale that measures milligrams and I'll just ad 40 mg to a can of coke and see what happens.

it was Coca-Cola Classic as long as I can remember until the last 10 years or so when they changed it to just Coca Cola. I don't dislike Mexican(Cane Sugar) Coke but it just tastes different. It tastes a little more sweeter and has less bite than traditional HFCS Coke. US Coke just has that bittering taste with that sweet after taste while Cane Sugar Coke is just sweet all around and hardly any after taste.

Well of course HFCS isn't for nutrition. It's for sweetening, just like Sugar. Neither are needed. We eat it, because we're wired to like sweet foods.

Yes, you're right. But if sugar was as cheap to produce as HFCS, it would be in everything. It's not.

The same goes with meat. It's mass produced because they were able to apply the whole 'production-line' process with raising/feeding/slaughtering animals. So it's very cheap they throw it into every meal. It's not necessary that we eat that much meat as humans but companies produce a ton of it and get ridiculous profits over advertising it the way they do. And they can afford to do this because the food industry is one where there is always going to be a demand. Supply and demand doesn't apply to food production. The demand is being hungry and supply of meat is damn near limitless for restaurants and supermarkets so it's everywhere. Everywhere and cheap.

Last edited:
That's not the reason at all.

Disclaimer btw.....I'm a vegetarian entirely for dietary purposes. I don't delude myself with a 'grand purpose' of saving animals and being ethical with them. You won't catch me going off on the typical stuff that non-meat eaters usually go off on. Instead I go off on how shitty our food industry has become for flooding the markets with so much non-food, processed shit, and, while I'm at it, shitty meat. If anyone on this forum has ever had beef or chicken that was raised in an actual farm, by someone you know perhaps, they'd be able to confirm that. I've eaten truly naturally raised beef that came directly from a family friend's ranch and there's a significant difference in quality over anything that can be purchased at regular supermarkets. How it looks, cooks, and tastes.

Now this I won't disagree with. That said, I live next door to a farm and at this point most of my meat comes from it. The meat, eggs and poultry is just night and day better. While I am and will remain a meat eater, one of my favorite cookbooks remains mark bittman's how to cook everything vegetarian. This book expanded my horizons so much when it came to vegetable dishes. Mostly because it doesn't try to be preachy and it isn't just canned recipes. It does an amazing job of giving you the why to cook certain things certain ways and allow for adding your own twist.

I'm with you mostly on diets, but the one time I tried Coke Zero, it was very close. As I've said elsewhere, I can differentiate between a 20 oz bottle of coke and a can of Coke, and Zero is definitely very close to regular coke. Arguably a can of Zero is closer to a can of Coke than a bottle of Coke is to a can (which is fairly close). That said, I stick regular cokes ;)

See for me there is a very stark difference. That may be in part due to the fact that I am one of those people that Aspertame has a very distinct flavor that overpowers everything else. I can blind taste test it and tell you if something has aspertame or any of the other artificial sweetners in them.

Yes, you're right. But if sugar was as cheap to produce as HFCS, it would be in everything. It's not.

The same goes with meat. It's mass produced because they were able to apply the whole 'production-line' process with raising/feeding/slaughtering animals. So it's very cheap they throw it into every meal. It's not necessary that we eat that much meat as humans but companies produce a ton of it and get ridiculous profits over advertising it the way they do. And they can afford to do this because the food industry is one where there is always going to be a demand. Supply and demand doesn't apply to food production. The demand is being hungry and supply of meat is damn near limitless for restaurants and supermarkets so it's everywhere. Everywhere and cheap.

Maybe, but I suspect sugar was in most things prior to the mass adoption of HFCS. I know when I worked in a restaurant, when the chef made chili he added sugar or in some cases chocolate. As for meat, people like meat. You could get your protein from Rice and Beans, but that's not what most people want. That may change in a decade or 2. I see a lot more vegetarians and pescetarians in the under 30 demo, but I don't see people 40+ making that change unless they absolutely have to.

See for me there is a very stark difference. That may be in part due to the fact that I am one of those people that Aspertame has a very distinct flavor that overpowers everything else. I can blind taste test it and tell you if something has aspertame or any of the other artificial sweetners in them.
I normally can too, and as I recall there was a difference, but it was very small. Aspertame is in a lot of diet drinks (including Diet Coke), but Zero is much closer to regular Coke than anything else.

i am just curious, why go through all that time and trouble to make something that taste like meat, looks like meat, smells like meat, when actual meat is so readily available and so much easier?

i am just curious, why go through all that time and trouble to make something that taste like meat, looks like meat, smells like meat, when actual meat is so readily available and so much easier?
Mostly because of factory farming, I think. If you look at how chickens, pigs and milk cows are treated, it's bad. There are places where free range chickens have acres to roam on during the day, but that's not common in the U.S. Here, I think free range just means they can walk outside to a small area....I'm not sure if there has to be grass or dirt.

Yea, I agree that they always seem to try to make the "vegetables" taste like Meat.. go figure..

But I still LOVE this video -

If Meat Eaters Acted Like Vegans
Its a cucumber-meat replacement, it has all the flavor, smell and texture of a cucumber ... with none of the cucumber.

The comments on the NPR page are hilarious. I love how vegans always bring up the way cows are slaughtered as a reason to stop eating meat. All I can do is think back to that episode of South Park with the veal, and Cartman points at one of the baby cows saying "That one looks delicious!" Well, I'm Cartman in this case. I know exactly how cows are slaughtered and have seen it in person, and I love consuming meat just the same.

Back