Silicon Lottery closing shop

I knew of them but never really liked the idea. I'm more a leave your fate to the silicon gods kinda guy. Sometimes you get a winner, sometimes a stinker, but that's game.

Never even heard of that store...
At one time they were one of the biggest online CPU dealers. They would buy CPU's in massive quantities and then test them to figure out where they would overclock. You paid a bit extra for CPU's that went above and beyond the average range. It was a neat service, but one that was doomed the second Intel and AMD took all the overclocking headroom out of the CPU's as those CPU's were already binned at the edge of what the silicon could do. Beyond that, a lot of times you are better off letting the CPU govern its own clocks rather than messing with them yourself. There is simply no need for the service Silicon Lottery provided anymore.

I'm surprised they held on as long as they did.

Oh i always thought silicon lottery was just a word about delidding and overclocking.

I did not even know it was a service.

Always thought it was just someone buys some cpu. delid and overclock it as best as they could and the silicon lottery is mainly just some of the cpu can overclock better than other based on the silicon and what parts are working.

Oh i always thought silicon lottery was just a word about delidding and overclocking.

Always thought it was just someone buys some cpu. delid and overclock it as best as they could and the silicon lottery is mainly just some of the cpu can overclock better than other based on the silicon and what parts are working.
Naw, like it said above, they bought huge amounts of them and sold the good overclockers at pretty big premiums.

It's both. Silicon Lottery was already an expression some people used long before the company of said name was started.

Computer tech is a close mirror to automobile tech. It used to be that shade tree mechanics could hotrod up a car in their own backyards, but technology has increased stock cars' performance while also restricting what you can do to increase that performance. Pretty much the same deal with computer overclockers.

Advancing technology has made both backyard and bedroom tinkering obsolete.

Computer tech is a close mirror to automobile tech. It used to be that shade tree mechanics could hotrod up a car in their own backyards, but technology has increased stock cars' performance while also restricting what you can do to increase that performance. Pretty much the same deal with computer overclockers.

Advancing technology has made both backyard and bedroom tinkering obsolete.

I'm really feeling that with my first AMD build in decades. PBO's like an ECU we can't do much with; at least give me access to the "mapping" so I can fine tune voltages over a wide range! I could also "rip it out" and do an all-core, but what's the point if there's so little head-room and most my needs are "daily-driver" and don't rely on all-core boosts? It's love-hate for me, hopefully they expand control access in the future.

I'd rather have a 1-click overclock that gives me 95 to 99 percent of a 120 percent overclock over a full 120 percent overclock that I'm constantly chasing down bugs on, or worse yet, a 125 percent overclock that I think is stable but is actually a ticking magic smoke bomb.

toooldforthisshit.gif

I'm really feeling that with my first AMD build in decades. PBO's like an ECU we can't do much with; at least give me access to the "mapping" so I can fine tune voltages over a wide range! I could also "rip it out" and do an all-core, but what's the point if there's so little head-room and most my needs are "daily-driver" and don't rely on all-core boosts? It's love-hate for me, hopefully they expand control access in the future.
The Ryzen 5000 Cpus feature "curve optimizer" which allows you to do per core voltage tuning, etc.

Intel also lets you tweak the voltage over the turbo curve. So you can still have your two core super boost speed, but also have the all core overclock you seek, etc.

Like AMD's curve optimizer----that may be a more recent addition in bios updates. Because none of the Rocket Lake reviews talked about it, at release. They all had to trade the 5.3ghz 2 core turbo, for an all core overclock.

Last edited:
The Ryzen 5000 Cpus feature "curve optimizer" which allows you to do per core voltage tuning, etc.

Intel also lets you tweak the voltage over the turbo curve. So you can still have your two core super boost speed, but also have the all core overclock you seek, etc.

The curve optimizer is a step in the right direction, but it's not without issues. The main issue with it is that it's an offset range (1=3~5mv or some such) that doesn't allow you to tune voltages across different C-states/P-states, so if your setting is unstable in one instance you're going to have to reduce it for all states.

Testing stability is a whole can of worms as well, but there's nothing that can be done about that since there's no way to manually control what state a core is in. Corecycler does a decent enough job at finding per-core instability though, and even for curve optimizer.

Back