Silent/quiet 24 port L2 managed switch?

Can anyone recommend me a quiet or silent L2 switch with 24 ports?

Specifically, a cheap one. Doesn't need to have any gig ports, although two would be nice as a bonus. If money weren't an issue I'd just get a new 1810g-24 straight away but.... yeah. Used is the way forward for me on this.

I've heard some of the Cisco ones are actually pretty quite despite having fans, but I've no idea what models? As a benchmark, the Netgear FSM726SUK I've got now is too loud (if you know it).

The SF200-24 costs almost as much as the 1810-24 though, which would give me 24gig ports...

I'm thinking cheap cheap, eBay etc. Cisco 2950s and 3524s seem to be fairly cheap?

PM me. I have some Cisco 2948G 10/100 48 ports rack mount ears on them as well as 2x 1 GB uplink ports.

PM me. I have some Cisco 2948G 10/100 48 ports rack mount ears on them as well as 2x 1 GB uplink ports.

he wants 24 1 gig ports not 24 x 10/100.

10/100 is useless these days.

Anyway whats the budget ?

he wants 24 1 gig ports not 24 x 10/100.

10/100 is useless these days.

Anyway whats the budget ?

10/100 is NOT useless by anymeans. We still roll out plenty of 10/100 switches to business all over the place. A business with 100 terminals that just use internet, email, and basic database software doesnt need the added expense of hi dollar enterprise gig gear.

and
read again...

Can anyone recommend me a quiet or silent L2 switch with 24 ports?

Specifically, a cheap one. Doesn't need to have any gig ports, although two would be nice as a bonus. If money weren't an issue I'd just get a new 1810g-24 straight away but.... yeah. Used is the way forward for me on this.

I've heard some of the Cisco ones are actually pretty quite despite having fans, but I've no idea what models? As a benchmark, the Netgear FSM726SUK I've got now is too loud (if you know it).

:p

I'd have to disagree also on 10/100 being useless - well the 10 maybe. Anyway, this switch is for home, but the patch panel is situated outside a bedroom door (never used to be a bedroom, pesky parents to blame rearranging things...). 100meg is more than enough to push internet around, some media streaming etc. I need VLAN support for a Cisco AP with multiple SSIDs, and allowing only certain sockets (or SSID) to access my site to site VPN. Hence not going with a boggo standard cheapy new switch.

Budget: I'm a student. On eBay I'm looking at around £30-40 ish. That's just BIN prices though, something could potentially be snagged cheaper than that.

:p

I'd have to disagree also on 10/100 being useless - well the 10 maybe. Anyway, this switch is for home, but the patch panel is situated outside a bedroom door (never used to be a bedroom, pesky parents to blame rearranging things...). 100meg is more than enough to push internet around, some media streaming etc. I need VLAN support for a Cisco AP with multiple SSIDs, and allowing only certain sockets (or SSID) to access my site to site VPN. Hence not going with a boggo standard cheapy new switch.

Budget: I'm a student. On eBay I'm looking at around £30-40 ish. That's just BIN prices though, something could potentially be snagged cheaper than that.

Ahh man your European or live there so shipment from us would be way to expensive. I'd dig around eBay for a uses netgear 724t probably for much less than Cisco. I never heard of a fake netgear on eBay but there are alot of fake chisco.

The SF200-24 costs almost as much as the 1810-24 though, which would give me 24gig ports...

I'm thinking cheap cheap, eBay etc. Cisco 2950s and 3524s seem to be fairly cheap?

The SF200 is $100+ cheaper than the 1810-24, the SG200 is the one closer in price to the 1810.

Nick how much do you want to spend? I have a 1800-24 V2 HP that I am thinking of selling and am in the UK.

The SF200 is $100+ cheaper than the 1810-24, the SG200 is the one closer in price to the 1810.

I can get an 1810-24 for £149, while the cheapest I can find the SF200 24 port (non PoE) is £144 over here :confused:

Jay - I'll PM you shortly, I would quite like an 1800/1810 for my main cabinet to consolidate the two switches I have now so I'll bear that in mind :) LUNCH!

Most of the time the fans in switches are super crappy. You could probably replace with better ones and have yourself a nice quiet switch. Preferably some high speed fans running at 5v (they'll run fast enough to move decent air but not too fast to be noisy, and be running way below spec making them last longer)

V or E series HP ProCurve. I've got an 1800 and a 1910 and nothing but positive things to say about them

Back