Silent/Passive Cooling I7-6700(Or I7-7700 later) & GTX 1070

VRT

Limp Gawd
I am looking for options to have a completely silent or extremely quite system. I would like for it to be totally fanless. This system will run in a home with very low humidity and is kept between 65F and 75F year round.

Currently I want to run a I7-6700 not OC'd with 32GB ram, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, Asus GTX1070 Video (Already have the card), and a M2 SSD. Has anyone done this? I really don't want to goto water cooling but would like something very passive. Case size I would like to be a Mid-Tower or smaller configuration. I have access to a CNC mill and could build a custom cooler out of AL if everyone thinks it would take that.

TIA

Take a look at Streacom chassi. That's pretty much what you'd need to go completely fanlessn- the whole case needs to be a giant heatsink/radiator connected to the cpu/gpu with custom made heatpipes.
Your best bet would be watercooling and going with the biggest radiators you can find and using the biggest/slowest rotating fans. Probably 200mm.
Perhaps milling a finned case side panel with water channels in it would be a possible solution - you could have a fanless heatsink with liquid coursing through it. Basically liquid cooling where the whole side panel is a fanless radiator.

Take a look at Streacom chassi. That's pretty much what you'd need to go completely fanlessn- the whole case needs to be a giant heatsink/radiator connected to the cpu/gpu with custom made heatpipes.
Your best bet would be watercooling and going with the biggest radiators you can find and using the biggest/slowest rotating fans. Probably 200mm.
Perhaps milling a finned case side panel with water channels in it would be a possible solution - you could have a fanless heatsink with liquid coursing through it. Basically liquid cooling where the whole side panel is a fanless radiator.

Those look interesting the only problem is the power supplies are only 240 Watts, I am very tempted to try to build a custom solution.

What I'd like to see is a case that's essentially one giant finned radiator.

It'd probably cost something like $700 and make pumps cry for mommy. But hey...

Those look interesting the only problem is the power supplies are only 240 Watts, I am very tempted to try to build a custom solution.
Well, then you will have to cnc something like those cases, but with water channels in those finned radiators. Then use standard watercooling gear and plumb it in. Your build is, what, around 300w tdp or something? You will either need huge surface area for passive cooling or fans.
DSC00012.jpg

The idea is something like this. It's just that this is using some radiators, don't know what exactly. You could take a big block of alu, the size of the side panel, machine fins on one side and water channels on the other. Seal it with rtv silicone and an alu plate. Tap the alu plate to accept fittings and that's it - your custom made passive radiator. There is probably a better solution to seal it, maybe machine a groover for a rubber gasket or something. You could make multiple vertical (or horizontal) water channels, separate them. That way you could use a large o-ring around each of the channels and plumb them so that they are run in parallel, not in series, to make it easier for the pumps.

Well, then you will have to cnc something like those cases, but with water channels in those finned radiators. Then use standard watercooling gear and plumb it in. Your build is, what, around 300w tdp or something? You will either need huge surface area for passive cooling or fans.

The idea is something like this. It's just that this is using some radiators, don't know what exactly. You could take a big block of alu, the size of the side panel, machine fins on one side and water channels on the other. Seal it with rtv silicone and an alu plate. Tap the alu plate to accept fittings and that's it - your custom made passive radiator. There is probably a better solution to seal it, maybe machine a groover for a rubber gasket or something. You could make multiple vertical (or horizontal) water channels, separate them. That way you could use a large o-ring around each of the channels and plumb them so that they are run in parallel, not in series, to make it easier for the pumps.

That is what I was afraid of and not what I am really wanting. It wouldn't be that hard to do though.

There are also these Alphacool Cape Cora radiatord that people are using which would probably be a bit safer. Other than that - you will need to transfer all that heat to the outside of the case. Either make huge custom heatsinks and have a lot of airflow through the case (fans), or watercool and have the radiators outside and let convection take care of the heat. That way you would only have one pump buzzing. With some sound deadening and proper pump mounting it would be inaudible.

There are also these Alphacool Cape Cora radiatord that people are using which would probably be a bit safer. Other than that - you will need to transfer all that heat to the outside of the case. Either make huge custom heatsinks and have a lot of airflow through the case (fans), or watercool and have the radiators outside and let convection take care of the heat. That way you would only have one pump buzzing. With some sound deadening and proper pump mounting it would be inaudible.

If I did water cooling, which I really don't want to do but could I would plumb it into my salt water aquarium's system which has a 1/2 HP chiller on it.

We did some oil immersion stuff a long time ago and I may do that, I was just wanting to see if there anything off the shelf that I could buy.

Back