Silent Hill HD Collection

daemonmf

Limp Gawd
I'm planning a marathon of horror related games to play from Sept 1 through Nov 30 and was considering playing through at least the first couple Silent Hill games. I've never played any of them. Is the Silent Hill HD Collection an OK way to go? I know there were a bunch of problems when it was released, but from what I can tell most of the problems have been fixed. Reviews all seem to be from around the release and I don't see much about whether the updates made it worth it. I don't need it to be exact, but I don't want to waste my money on something that's unplayable.

I'm planning a marathon of horror related games to play from Sept 1 through Nov 30 and was considering playing through at least the first couple Silent Hill games. I've never played any of them. Is the Silent Hill HD Collection an OK way to go? I know there were a bunch of problems when it was released, but from what I can tell most of the problems have been fixed. Reviews all seem to be from around the release and I don't see much about whether the updates made it worth it. I don't need it to be exact, but I don't want to waste my money on something that's unplayable.

Get the PS3 version as it was the one that was fixed. I have it and it is ok. Should be fine for you.

Emulators are the best way to go unfortunately. In my personal experiences with the games.

I agree. It is unfortunate for me to say this, but I would skip the HD collection even if you haven't played the originals. Try to pick up the original PS2 versions and run them on PCSX2 if you don't have a PS2.

Why not play the PC versions, instead of emulating PS2?

Also, I would skip SH3.

Also, I would skip SH3.
The PC versions are very limited graphically and have trouble running on Windows Vista/7/8/8.1. Emulation gives you a lot of freedom to run the game how you like, including as it appeared on original hardware.

I admit I have never played all the way through SH3 (maybe got half way through), but what was your issue with it? Atmosphere and puzzles from my time with it appeared very top-notch and a credit to the SH series, IMO. I think I stopped because I was generally creeped out by it. Only game to do that to me since then was Dead Space 2, but I eventually finished that one...

I just realized the HD collection isn't on PSN. :rolleyes:

I'll prob end up buying the originals from ebay unless I find the collection for dirt cheap.

Thanks, guys.

Also, I would skip SH3.

What? 3 is awesome, what are you on about?
I unlocked the unlimited machine gun and even the sailor moon-ish costume for Heather, What? 100% that game like no joke. I bet I still got that save on my memory card.

2 is OK...

I kidd, I kidd

The first 4 are great(The ROOM is a damn good one, forget the naysayers), its the shit afterwards.....

What? 3 is awesome, what are you on about?
I unlocked the unlimited machine gun and even the sailor moon-ish costume for Heather, What? 100% that game like no joke. I bet I still got that save on my memory card.

2 is OK...

I kidd, I kidd

The first 4 are great(The ROOM is a damn good one, forget the naysayers), its the shit afterwards.....

Truth.. Although I did enjoy Downpour. Not the best.. but very good atmosphere.

I loved playing silent hill alot when i was a kid , i would turn off all my lights get stoned outta my mind and enjoy the mind boggling horror game . I am not one for horror games but i loved most the silent hill games.

Did i mention i had 7.1 surround sound and turned it all the way up. Not sure if it used S.S but the sound was awesome. and scarey!

I played Silent Hill 2 on PC and it was a blast and looked great tweaked out. Given the choices I'd probably go PC on silent hill 3, but yeah avoid either version of the Collection on consoles. Go look on Youtube, there's a bunch of comparison videos and it's just minor stuff. The sound is horrendous, tons of missing graphics. If I recall correctly the Fog is completely missing from Silent Hill 2.

Definitely don't skip any of the first four games. I haven't played through any of the games in several years, so they're all included in my upcoming backlog marathon. I remember 2 being my favorite and The Room being very enjoyable, so we'll see how I feel about the series after all this time away.

The PC versions are very limited graphically and have trouble running on Windows Vista/7/8/8.1. Emulation gives you a lot of freedom to run the game how you like, including as it appeared on original hardware.

I admit I have never played all the way through SH3 (maybe got half way through), but what was your issue with it? Atmosphere and puzzles from my time with it appeared very top-notch and a credit to the SH series, IMO. I think I stopped because I was generally creeped out by it. Only game to do that to me since then was Dead Space 2, but I eventually finished that one...

I haven't seen the PS2 version, but can't believe an emulated one would look better than a native one. I guess anything is possible, though.

The most terrible thing about SH3 were the puzzles for me (like to play SH more like a horror adventure than a shooter, so go with puzzles HARD, action EASY). The second was the disjointed story that was all over the place and the atmosphere was kind of meh. It brought nothing compared to SH2. Maybe if I hadn't played SH2 first I would find it a bit better, but SH2 seems much better executed to me in puzzle, atmosphere and story department.

I haven't seen the PS2 version, but can't believe an emulated one would look better than a native one. I guess anything is possible, though.

The most terrible thing about SH3 were the puzzles for me (like to play SH more like a horror adventure than a shooter, so go with puzzles HARD, action EASY). The second was the disjointed story that was all over the place and the atmosphere was kind of meh. It brought nothing compared to SH2. Maybe if I hadn't played SH2 first I would find it a bit better, but SH2 seems much better executed to me in puzzle, atmosphere and story department.

nvm

As someone who has tried going this route, even emulation isn't perfect, with several lighting/shadowing glitches (some of them major). IMHO, the only way to truly experience these games is on a PS2 or backward compatible PS3.

Silent Hill 2 is the best SH ever released. Also, Fatal Frame 1 and 2 are some games too if you want to play something unique and scary on PS2.

As someone who has tried going this route, even emulation isn't perfect, with several lighting/shadowing glitches (some of them major). IMHO, the only way to truly experience these games is on a PS2 or backward compatible PS3.
Hardware or software renderer ? Because I've just completed the second and the third one with software renderer direct3D11 and didn't have a single glitch, well the only hiccups encountered were the exterior foggy passages on the 2nd one where the frame rate tanked a little @~30-40fps (with an OC'ed i7) on a pal version capped at 50fps.

A quick switch to hardware may have smoothed the frame rate but I didn't try. Strangely the same passages played absolutely fine on the third one and even better since a ntsc option was available and capped the game @60fps.

I've bought the first one on psn/ps3 and after loving it I did a quick search on the web to see if the HD collection was worth it, and to my surprise it was not.There's a thread on neogaf which suggests to play the 2nd and third one on PC if you can find the discs, and the fourth one emulated.

Since I had already bought the silent hill collection on ps2, I just made a back up and went for the first time with emulation and it works perfectly fine.

I believe neither was perfect. Unfortunately, I don't have a proper CPU to test at full speed anymore, so either this was fixed in a new version of PCSX2 or my memory is shot. :confused:

Hardware or software renderer ? Because I've just completed the second and the third one with software renderer direct3D11 and didn't have a single glitch, well the only hiccups encountered were the exterior foggy passages on the 2nd one where the frame rate tanked a little @~30-40fps (with an OC'ed i7) on a pal version capped at 50fps.

A quick switch to hardware may have smoothed the frame rate but I didn't try. Strangely the same passages played absolutely fine on the third one and even better since a ntsc option was available and capped the game @60fps.

I've bought the first one on psn/ps3 and after loving it I did a quick search on the web to see if the HD collection was worth it, and to my surprise it was not.There's a thread on neogaf which suggests to play the 2nd and third one on PC if you can find the discs, and the fourth one emulated.

Since I had already bought the silent hill collection on ps2, I just made a back up and went for the first time with emulation and it works perfectly fine.

The PS3 version was patched and fixed many issues. They didn't patch the 360 version for some reason.

Back