Silent Hill 4 - custom rez?

Standpoint

[H]ard|Gawd
I just bought this game out of a bargain bin - looks like it could be OK. But the only resolution choices in-game are 640x480 or 400x300. The game doesn't seem too old - copywrite 2004(1999?)

Anyone know how to force this game to a custome rez - like 1280x1024?

I havent played that game in a while, but I'm fairly certain that I was running it in 1280x1024 without any tweaks or anything. Does it have an option to turn on hardware mode or something along those lines?

Not that I can find. I tried to find a config file, etc, too w/ no luck. I am going to try the new nvidia driver to see if it is a driver issue. Its really odd since it only gives me two choices - 640x480 and 400x300. Not good w/ an LCD and a 7800GT.

So I take it this IS an issue, and that others can play the game at 1280x1024 or similar?

If it is, I really have no idea how to solve it. I've tried reinstalling w/ no luck. Can't find an editable file, either.

is there an update patch for the game?

try uninstalling your video drivers, use driver cleaner, then install newest drivers.

you might also try doing this, in this order:

uninstall video drivers
uninstall chipset drivers
driver cleaner both of them
download latest direct x from microsoft.com
reinstall chipset drivers
reinstall video drivers

I played this game from start to finish on my pc with a game pad. I never had any problems with resolution choices. at the time I played the game, I was using a PCI-E Geforce 6800 256mb.

if its still giving you problems, then try an older driver, maybe from last years some time. nvidia has problems with not checking their new drivers with older console ports. metal gear solid 2 for example, was unplayable on both my agp 6800 and pci-e 6800. with some tweaks in rivatuner, I was able to get it to run finally, but it was still missing a lot of effects.

for the record, and i've got no major preference for either side, but my current ati card runs metal gear solid 2 just damn great.

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll try to also un/re install my chipset, though its a pain. I did just do a clean install of the newest nvidia drivers, I'll have to try an old one, too. Anyone happen to know what driver release first supported the 7800GT?

EDIT: I finally found somewhat of a fix for this - took many hours of searching before I came across a post by a genius named rdalcroft on the Konami forums. No ide how he figured this out but here it is:

If you go in to your silent hill folder and select the file "CheckSpec.dll" move that file to your desktop. now start the game and you will be able to change the resolution. Save the settings with your new resolution then exit the game. Now just move the file back into the Silent hill folder. I dont know if you really need the file, because the game works even if you dont move the file back. I found out this fix by accident, it was a last resort.

Still can only run at 1024x768, but its still better than nothing for me:)

Back