Silent heatsink Opteron 6300 series

Hi here, I've just go a Supermicro H8DGi-F motherboard with dual sockets G34
1581846213120.png

I also got 2x opteron 6380 (115TDP) and I'm now looking for silent CPU cooling options what would fit and perform well.
According to this page: https://www.quietpc.com/opteron-coolers
Socket F (1207) / C32 and G34 have exactly the same connector, so two screw holes placed at the same distance.
This indirectly tells me that the heat-sinks for the 3 sockets above are more or less interchangeable.
There is one thing that still puzzles me: Most of the heat-sinks I see for 1207/C32 assume a square CPU shape where the Opteron 6300 are instead rectangular, so worried about not cooling the CPU surface properly.

1581846051922.png
1581846070928.png

Do you have any tip on what to look for/consider when choosing a silent heat-sink for the G34 socket? Perhaps any specific brand/model?
Being a dual CPU E-ATX motherboard where I'll be installing external GPU and RAID controller, the heat-sink dimension is key. I'd say something vertical with single/double 92mm PWM fan would be perfect but perhaps 120mm *could* fit as well.
Finally I'm also concerned about the "length" of the heat-sinks rather than the width e.g. the two heat-sinks touching each other.

Many thanks!

Last edited:
G34 has longer brackets than Socket F/C32 so the coolers for them came with both. I used the Noctua U12 on mine but it looks like it's been discontinued. My old Asus G34 board came with plastic mounting tabs preinstalled but I'm not sure what desktop coolers they worked with.

Apologies, I don't really understand your first sentence, "G34 has longer brackets than Socket F/C32 so the coolers for them came with both " would you mind re-phrasing?

In the meantime since they are cheap I am buying these adaptors:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DIY-CPU-Co...598199?hash=item262fe9a3b7:g:t~UAAOSwn1JeCwh1
But since this is installed in a tower I'm worried about the weight of whatever heatsink and these adaptors breaking at some point. I would preferably get something like the 26898-B862-V2
which comes with the standard two screws fitting for F/C32/G34 so mechanically more stable. Finally adding or two PWM 92mm fans to it.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I think I got what you mean now! the holes are further away...

1581926869842.png

What a pain, extremely difficult to find a suitable heatsink without using the adaptors (which I'm trying to avoid). I'm wondering if using the 2U passive heatsinks for socket G34

1581926963222.png

and adding a 92mm fan on top would be a practical/safe workaround.

I don't really have the time for this type of DIY but I admit I like the solution this guy went for recycling the C32 heatsinks is a good one:

Running out of ideas now...

Last edited:
Socket F came in both 3.5" and 4.1" distance. I used to have Noctua NH U12DO A3, on quad Opterons 6366HE, thanks to [H]ard bios pushed from 1.8GHz to ~ 2.9. Fully loaded with F@H in a open air, it was quiet enough to be in my bedroom.

The U12DO A3 are EOL and very difficult to find, if any second hand mainly. As I have two motherboards I would need 4 and would prefer new from single supplier.
As mentioned I'm pretty happy to "adapt" the heatsink but I need one where the base of the heatsink covers the full CPU surface, everything else is fixable.
This is tedious mainly two reason: these are not really home computer CPUs and vendors do not really publish the max size of CPU supported.

Ended up buying these:

1582017296136.png

Capture2.PNG

So going for the adaptor option and I will still have to do some minor DIY with copper to extend the surface as it's not wide enough...
I'm also planning to add 1 (for the time being) 92mm PWD fan to them which should be an easy job compared to. I'll keep you posted!

Back