SIIA Suing Crooked eBay Sellers

HardOCP News

[H] News
The Software & Information Industry Association has been forced to file nine lawsuits against eBay based dealers selling bootleg software. I say “forced” because eBay has done little to nothing to help the SIIA to crack down on the crooks.

The SIIA believes it is necessary to file the lawsuits because eBay has been largely uncooperative in cracking down on software piracy, said Keith Kupferschmid, senior vice president of the trade group's antipiracy division. "We haven't had very much success in getting [eBay] to work with us," he said.

it should be amended to say, doing little to nothing to help the siia, or anyone else no matter how legitimate their claims

SIIA has asked eBay to stop "buy it now" and one-day auctions for software, but eBay has not complied

Yea I wonder why ebay refused. Can't really fault ebay for this if that was what they were asking of them.

The reason most people do one day buy-it-now auctions is because some manufacturers abuse VeRO to take down listings that compete with their controlled monopolies. Unfortunately crooks also use the same tactics.

eBay not helping???

say it aint so...

Caveat emptor...well for those who have a conscious.

The Software & Information Industry Association has been forced to file nine lawsuits against eBay based dealers selling bootleg software. I say “forced” because eBay has done little to nothing to help the SIIA to crack down on the crooks.

Is ANYONE HERE SHOCKED THAT EBAY DIDNT HELP???!!! this is nothing new.ebay helps no one cept if its in their interest to line the pockets. To be honest I wouldnt miss it if ebay just went off line. what a crappy place to buy or sell stuff. Yeah there are sme good ones...but when it comes down to it they care very little about the mom and pop people only selling or buying one thing here or there

I've seen a lot of bootleg software on ebay, some of them are very blatant. Ebay does stop some, but you'd need an incredible staff to follow thousands of auctions for complete compliancy.

Ebay simply needs a better feedback reporting mechanism.

Back