Sigh, Zalman CNPS10x was too big.

threedd97

Limp Gawd
So I had to take out the dremel and mod it so my RAM modules would fit. It's not pretty anymore, but at least I can squeeze in 2 modules now. Crummy picture. Digital camera is dead, used phone.

heatsink01.gif

heatsink02.gif

computer01.gif

Last edited:
That is brutal lol. I hate how these AM3 boards are designed...

WoWa You should really throw some black paint on that might look alittle better!

Added better pictures and some extras.

I thought about doing the memory but you can't really notice the damage to the heatsink unless you look for it hard. Doing the memory would be a sore thumb for sure. I probably should have polished the heatsink up some, but whatever.

I have to use slots 3 and 4 now instead of 1 and 2. I would have to just shave down the giant heatspreader on the ram to get it into 1 and 2. If they would have just placed those memory slots an inch to the right of the cpu socket, it would have been fine.

Also, about the water cooling. I just can't stomach the idea of having liquid running through my computer. I've tossed the idea around for nearly 8 years and just can't do it.

Last edited:
It appears to hold an idle temp of 34c @ 3.7ghz and under load around low 40's. So I don't think my minor modding affected it too much.

Valuable lesson learned...tall ramsinks do almost nothing but look pretty and interfere with other components. I learned that the hard way too.

thats why when you liquid cool your pc you use nonconductive liquid like distiled water? thats what i run in my x360 and it leak once but didnt hurt a thing.

Ah, Mushkin. I haven't used them in years and years. Well, I've already invested in the Corsair stuff so it's too late now. I don't see myself needing anything beyond 8GB anyways, so I can live without those 2 other slots.

One day I will get curious enough to want to try water cooling. I just hear it is expensive for a setup that is actually better than air cooling. I hear a lot of the cheaper setups aren't any better than air cooling, and in some instances, worse.

I love mushkin memory, never had a bad experience with them yet.
I have always wondered if the increased surface area from huge heatsinks actually does anything for DDR3. I dont usually max OC my memory though, so it might not have purpose for me.

I too would have taken the dremel to the memory heatsinks before that Zalman though :(

Back