Sigh, can't get PCs to connect to switch in Packet Tracer!

wolfofone

Gawd
What the heck am I doing wrong? I've spent about two hours now trying to get a PC to connect to a dang switch in Packet Tracer.
no shutdown doesn't work. Status and Line Protocol remain down when I run show ip interface brief

What's is frustrating me is that I can connect two switches together, two PCs together, and a switch to a router, but can't get a PC to connect to a switch! I feel like I am losing my mind here guys :-(...

Here's a packet tracer file of what I'm talking about, those two damn red lights just won't go away haha. I don't get it. I've tried setting duplex/speed manually, tried leaving it auto, tried assigning and not assigning IPs (not that that should make a difference here), ect.

my PT file: https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApdpxDV92uJSgZZyjLiafYXJVYIVAw (I am using Packet Tracer 6.3.0.0009)

Please help!

Edit: Okay, I installed Packet Tracer 7.0 from Netacad and... new packet tracers let me connect a PC to a switch! My install of 6.3 might be messed up somehow, never had this problem before! One of the connections (the rightmost PC connected to the switch still has two red lights in PT 7 but oh well, i'll take the win. I plan to start over anyway, that was just a test while i tried to figure out what was wrong. Back to homework now that I can finally build the dang network! :D)

Last edited:
Before your edit, I was going to tell you to make sure you are using a straight-through cable, not a crossover. When you connect router to router, or switch to switch, you use a crossover, but when you connect unlike devices you use a straight-through. Then again you said you got a switch to a router just fine, whcih would have been a straight-through cable as well. Could have just been a bug, but I'm glad 7.0 got it fixed for you.

Before your edit, I was going to tell you to make sure you are using a straight-through cable, not a crossover. When you connect router to router, or switch to switch, you use a crossover, but when you connect unlike devices you use a straight-through. Then again you said you got a switch to a router just fine, whcih would have been a straight-through cable as well. Could have just been a bug, but I'm glad 7.0 got it fixed for you.

I used a straight through copper cable, though I did try crossover just to see if that would work but nope. I was finally able to finish the homework! It took hours longer than it should have though thanks to that bug or whatever it was!

xL5qtfX.png

After getting it to all work I realized i probably should have done a separate router for cable provider and DSL provider and then a third router or routers between those providers but ehh it's a hybrid ISP :).

Back