Side panel fan - intake or exhaust?

jgreen

Limp Gawd
Corsair Carbide 400R case with Z68 mobo using onboard graphics, so no video card heat. CPU cooler is an Antec Kuhler 620 with Cougar PWM fans in push/pull. The case also has two Noctua PWM fans on the top panel for exhaust, and the stock rear Corsair 120 mm fan moved down to the bottom panel as an intake. The stock two 120 mm front panel fans are also intakes.

Would this side fan be better as an intake for cool air since there is no heat needing to be exhausted in that area from a video card?

I would make it intake so it feeds cool outside air to the graphics card, assuming you have a card that exhausts out the back.

If you have an aftermarket cooler that leaves the air in the case then exhaust for the side fan might make more sense to get that hot air out of the case.

No graphics card. I'm using the onboard graphics with a 2500K CPU/Z68 chipset mobo.

I really dont think with all that airflow you'll see any advantage to putting another fan in.You have no real hot components and plenty of airflow already.

As far as cooling goes, you are fine without, or with, the extra fan.
However, currently you have 3 exhaust and 2 intake, meaning negative air pressure in the case, so you are sucking in air (and dust) from any other openings in the case/chassis. I would recommend adding the side fan as an intake, with a dust filter. That gives you 3 in and out, though you might still be a bit on the negative side, depending on the aggregate cfm in each direction. Should be close enough to not matter. If you are not worried about dust build up, it's not really a big deal.

When you set up the schematics for your case, you should always strive for positive airflow. This means that the amount of air being sucked into the case is more than the exhaust. However, this is not say that it could create such a huge deficit between intake and displacement that hot air gets recirculated. You have to make sure that there is a stream of air going from front to back constantly with little turbulence.

I have my side fan going in and it lowers my MB chip set 4 degrees C. Just try it each way to see which is best or if you need it at all.
Good Luck and God Bless Johnny333 65+++

If you already have exhaust rear and top fans, I would use the side panel as another exhaust. Honestly, you don't need it...unless you like having a loud computer

Back