Sid Meier's Civilization V - $16.98 just for 6 days!

I ended up buying this from the Australian GG website for around $11.50 (after currency exchange fees) around the 4th of July. This price isn't too shabby, though!

EDIT: It's a Steamworks title, and mine registered just fine on Steam. Also bought one for a buddy and his activated on Steam as well.

Sweet game.

Not sure if I like it better than IV, but this is the one I play most.

Worth $17 easy!!

BTW - do not download this game illegally, I got caught.

Does this include the DLC? (it work, can't check;))
And, Metacritic shows 90%, which makes me really interested, I loved Civ, and came back a little for 4 but didn't have the time then. Hell, I don't now, but...

Does Civ5 own anyone else's computers late in the game? Like turns that take a few minutes?

That is annoying as hell... I've actually taken to reading a book after I end my turn.

You're telling me. I love playing on the superhuge map setting so there are more tiles. It'll actually get to the point that you just don't bother playing that savegame any more and start a new one.

Imagine my frustration: being afraid to click 'next turn' even though I've got 4.4GHz, 6 cores with 12 threads, 18GB ram and dual GTX560's in SLI.

Yeah I'm just on a 555 x2 and 5830. But it still gets bad. My last game it got to where it was 4 minutes in between turns, and I was 20 turns or so from a cultural victory. I stuck it out and got a lot of a book read. :D

GODDAMIT... I bought this yesterday for $40. Grrrr

You're telling me. I love playing on the superhuge map setting so there are more tiles. It'll actually get to the point that you just don't bother playing that savegame any more and start a new one.

Imagine my frustration: being afraid to click 'next turn' even though I've got 4.4GHz, 6 cores with 12 threads, 18GB ram and dual GTX560's in SLI.
It's definitely not a hardware issue, although you probobly already figured as much. I was looking into this problem a few months ago and found some threads on the 2K Games forums about it. It seems to be caused by some bugs and I'm not sure if they ever got fixed or not. Basically, it varries, but whenever you are playing on a larger map and conquer around your 60th city or so, turns start taking forever and eventually the game will just crash and you can't finish it.

Does Civ5 own anyone else's computers late in the game? Like turns that take a few minutes?

Yes it does, and it's been shown to be a bug with the engineers, as each step they take reanalyzes every square to see what's optimal to put there. Apparently late game the CPU builds an absolute ton of engineers too. You could make some modification that limits their growth possibly, but anything you do probably would end up crippling the entire purpose of them.

Yes it does, and it's been shown to be a bug with the engineers, as each step they take reanalyzes every square to see what's optimal to put there. Apparently late game the CPU builds an absolute ton of engineers too. You could make some modification that limits their growth possibly, but anything you do probably would end up crippling the entire purpose of them.

I wonder if they will fix it? Or is it already in the lets-not-bother-with-further-patches price range?

Thanks OP! I purchased the game and registered the key with Steam. I'm downloading from Steam now (5 Gb!).

I wonder if they will fix it? Or is it already in the lets-not-bother-with-further-patches price range?

Can't honestly say. It might be the problem is too hardwired to the fundamental design of the program that fixing it is impossible (or too much work). You could fix it by having the number of workers(engineers/whatever) tied directly to the number of cities you have, but that would fundamentally change how most play.

I had made a mod that fixed it in a half assed way, but can't recall what I did sorry.

Would love to get this game at this price, but not willing to use shitty paypal to do it, or any of those other ridiculous payment services.

What kind of business doesn't accept debt.

Back