Sid Meier and the 48 Hour Game Creation Competition

Spare-Flair

Supreme [H]ardness
This is a fantastic professional video about Sid Meier attending the games creation club at Michigan University where a bunch of college kids in teams of 2 or 3 are given 48 hours to program an entire game from scratch.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/04/20/sid-meier-and-the-48-hour-game/#more-28957

Sid Meier working by himself also makes a game in 48 hours alongside them but he totally blows them all out of the water. :D

well maybe he have sources of previous engines he use so he didnt start from complete scratch

I doubt he would even need to have source code available to do good against them
just using his experience, and having a premise and a good design/implementation plan in mind beforehand should be enough for him

Some of these kids are freshman, some don't even know C++

Meier was programming before his computers had monitors to show him what he was doing.

saw this a couple of days ago, if anyone knows of anythig similar please post it

I want to know what that Res Train game is and how you use the music 8- fader controller to play it.

Poor kid in the background got caught with his finger in his nose.

Sid Meier's the man. I remember getting in trouble in Algebra class back in junior high for reading the instructions when I should have been correcting homework. Back in a time when instruction manuals actually had substance.

This video makes me loathe my career path, even though I love what I do.

I'd love to go back to school for game design/programming.

If there ever was a "celebrity" I'd like to meet, it would be Sid Meier. Not to worship or fanboi or anything like that, but to thank him. The man is truely a pioneer, and I have to say, he has one of the stronger influences on my life, purely through chance.

Civ1 was my FIRST computer game, it got me hooked on gaming (which has done many good things in my life, generally "by accident"), it got me interested in history, which fueled my love of reading and my love of fantasy as a genre, and got me hooked on using and learning how to use a computer.

Back