Sick of WoW, compare it to AION plz

NickBorgo

n00b
I hate how easy WoW has gotten. I've played it consistently since vanilla release and with all of these patches making the game easier, i've noticed that too many idiots have gotten to 80 and joined my raiding guild and keep fucking things up for me. So I was wondering if AION is in anyway difficult? I'd like an MMORPG that is challenging, that I can look forward to leveling up in because I know people with similar skill sets as myself will be the only types of people that reach the level cap and persue end-game content. -end rant :)

Very true rant, game got waaay to easy with WoTLK. The games easy nature seemed to bring all the tards to the raiding guilds and stuff that should be 1-2 attempts, I ended up wasting 5 hours of my life on. Simple shit was not being accomplished and led to me quitting about 3-4 months ago.

aion is challenging in that it takes an immense amount of grinding to hit max level. most of the WoW kiddies that are used to having quests to hold their hands until the level cap will probably quit. level 49-50 requires 150 million xp and you have to grind out 90% of it with mobs giving like 30k each.

Your guilds failing at screening bads before the ginvite is not WoW's fault.

Your guilds failing at screening bads before the ginvite is not WoW's fault.

I agree with this comment :D

As for the thread, i purchased Aion due to friends giving it a shot, i rarely played wow due to work times and car projects, and i ran into some free time. Ill see once its done downloading and i start grinding it out to 50 :cool:

Generally it isn't the so-called "bads" that mess up mmo's, it's actually the people that call people bads that do. I got so tired of the way people act while they play mmo's that it'll be a while before I feel comfortable playing them again, probably. I'd much rather play with unskilled players than a bunch of stuck-up elitists that have no business acting as such.

aion is challenging in that it takes an immense amount of grinding to hit max level. most of the WoW kiddies that are used to having quests to hold their hands until the level cap will probably quit. level 49-50 requires 150 million xp and you have to grind out 90% of it with mobs giving like 30k each.

So its not challenging, it's just tedious and boring? You should get a job advertising for them!

"Aion -Come grind like it's 1999!"

It's a grind and not challanging at all. PvP might be but the game AROUND PvP is a horrible grind.

One tip if you try Aion out. Don't go into general chat and start talking about wow. This is the most annoying thing ever.

Challenging doesn't necessarily mean "skillful". You wont see people who are used to things handed to them at 50, because it's too hard or too long to get to that point. So, the community will be filled with fairly determined players, which is what I'm looking forward to.

Also, the game doesn't start at end game. Enjoy the grind! Quest, grind, craft, socialize, pvp, etc. You don't have to shell out 1-50 in a week to actually get into the game.

I think Guild Wars is still pretty good even up to today. Lvl 20 caps, albeit low but foes get up to lvl 40 and are bastards to kill. Its a teamwork game. I know it has nothing to do with Aion, but I'm just throwing my preferences out there. Also, no monthly fee!

Challenging doesn't necessarily mean "skillful". You wont see people who are used to things handed to them at 50, because it's too hard or too long to get to that point. So, the community will be filled with fairly determined players, which is what I'm looking forward to.

Also, the game doesn't start at end game. Enjoy the grind! Quest, grind, craft, socialize, pvp, etc. You don't have to shell out 1-50 in a week to actually get into the game.

Agree 100%. The game is about enjoying and socializing.

quite frankly, u can't compare the two games...aion is a pvp centric game..from level 25 on, you go to the abyss and pvp. thats the end game...until you max at lvl 50.

wow has so much more 'to do', that the 2 games cannot even be compared. aion is a 'filler' type of mmo...play it until the big hits come next year

keep expectations low and you'll have some fun..the graphics are gorgeous and I only found myself 'grinding' for the last bar or two of xp for the next level twice..i just dinged lvl 24...i can't even look at wow graphics anymore without getting sick...i'm serious.

it will never be great but it is a solid 7 out of 10 score..wow is 10 for 10..

Aion was nothing but grind for me, I tried really really hard to like it but i just cant.

I hate how easy WoW has gotten. I've played it consistently since vanilla release and with all of these patches making the game easier, i've noticed that too many idiots have gotten to 80 and joined my raiding guild and keep fucking things up for me. So I was wondering if AION is in anyway difficult? I'd like an MMORPG that is challenging, that I can look forward to leveling up in because I know people with similar skill sets as myself will be the only types of people that reach the level cap and persue end-game content. -end rant :)

You need to go back about 10 years to EverQuest and play it till about the planes of power years to get any type of true challenge in a MMORPG :p

I tried Aion for a while, got into the Beta and played but I cant get into it either. The character models look awesome! and its truly amazing how you can customize your character but other than that i dunno...

The Interface seems sorta clunky to me.... I press my hot keys and Its not instant like wow... It looks great but just not as "smooth" and Im not talking about graphics smooth... (i7 @ 4Ghz, 2x GTX285's)

Anyone else feel this?

I tried Aion for a while, got into the Beta and played but I cant get into it either. The character models look awesome! and its truly amazing how you can customize your character but other than that i dunno...

The Interface seems sorta clunky to me.... I press my hot keys and Its not instant like wow... It looks great but just not as "smooth" and Im not talking about graphics smooth... (i7 @ 4Ghz, 2x GTX285's)

Anyone else feel this?

Ya, it feels like it is putting the skill up into a queue of some sort. I used to play FFXI though, so it's not that big of a deal. WoW's responsiveness was fun, but I don't want the game to be EXACTLY like WoW with a different skin.

You need to go back about 10 years to EverQuest and play it till about the planes of power years to get any type of true challenge in a MMORPG :p

Finally someone mentions eq instead of wow all the damn time. I remember when I first started eq back in 99. I know it was called everquest but I dont remember doing quests all the time. I remember exploring and killing stuff. It never felt like a grind until later when the expansions hit.

why trade heroin for crack ? Just quit playing MMO's altogether.;)

Aion = GRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIND. That being said, the game feels more rewarding due to a much tougher leveling, crafting, and pvp system. I think Aion will have a very active and strong end-game simply cause of the massive time commitment you will put into one character that most people won't be rolling alts left and right. I'm only level 25 and there were definitely some moments where I was ready to call it quits cause some levels went by so slowly. There is a huge shortage of quests sub-25 it seems. Once you get past that it should be smooth sailing.

gaion = wow + wings

TBH I havent played aion but everyone has told me its just another wow clone So if you are tired of WoW I wouldnt suggest going to it. Try a different type of MMO, WoW = item based grindfest. Go for a darkfall for a pvp centerd game. Or give eve a shot if you want to move away from the fantasy setting.

Its definitely a grind, but that being said, i'm enjoying it. It feels closer to EQ than anything that has been realeased in a long time.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

gaion = wow + wings

Clever. Did you come up with that one all by yourself?

TBH I havent played aion but everyone has told me its just another wow clone So if you are tired of WoW I wouldnt suggest going to it. Try a different type of MMO, WoW = item based grindfest. Go for a darkfall for a pvp centerd game. Or give eve a shot if you want to move away from the fantasy setting.

Why would you be against suggesting something when you haven't even tried it? Aion is PvP centered. Darkfall, on the other hand, sucks. It may seem like a great game at first, but then you realize the world is barren and boring. Add some horrible combat mechanics and you have yourself a terrible game.

You seem to have misunderstood the argument. Questing while leveling up adds variety and entertainment. If you like genuine MMO mob grinding then you may as well just take on a job in the janitorial squad at your local high school because there would be more variety and entertainment to that than to grinding (and you'd get paid for it instead of the other way around). It's not kiddie to not enjoy a monotonous grind sandwich. In point of fact, it is a sign of mental health and sanity to not enjoy grinding.

WoW's endgame has become to easy, a point with which I would agree. Most people would say that they don't play the game for the experience of leveling, they play it to get to the end and see the endgame. They've successfully brought it to the masses, a goal that most people who post on internet gaming forums consider somehow beneath them.

In the end, I still contend that "MMO" and "takes skill" are concepts that should never be included in the same sentence. There are forms of challenge that people are willing to accept, but it does not take skill to have a tolerance for boredom to rival the man in the iron mask nor a tolerance for frustration that rivals Gandhi.

Finally someone mentions eq instead of wow all the damn time. I remember when I first started eq back in 99. I know it was called everquest but I dont remember doing quests all the time. I remember exploring and killing stuff. It never felt like a grind until later when the expansions hit.

Because back in 99 we didn't have the massive amount of spoiler sites like we do today. Until Thott from Afterlife created Thottbot (which ironically started out as an EQ item database site)

-the exploring part is gone.
-You know what you're going to spend your DKP on -
-you know what the zone looks like before you even enter

Clever. Did you come up with that one all by yourself?

Why would you be against suggesting something when you haven't even tried it? Aion is PvP centered. Darkfall, on the other hand, sucks. It may seem like a great game at first, but then you realize the world is barren and boring. Add some horrible combat mechanics and you have yourself a terrible game.

He said he didnt like WoW wanted to know more about aion, so I told him what literally every person in the entire MMO gaming community has been saying for the past week. Its WoW with wings. So if he didnt like WoW the logical conclusion would be that the chances of him liking Aion would be very slim. So i suggested a different pvp centerd MMO and suggested a completley different genre of MMO. If I had known you would get your panties in a bunch over it all I would have kept my mouth shut. Sorry to voice my opinion.

I wont even go into the fact that you thinking darkfall is barren directly relates to the fact that your probabley spent 95% of your time in newbie lands and didnt touch the political warfare scene.

sounds like an Americanized LineageII. most of my guild plays it and i heard them talking about grinding a little the other day. i havent been in wow in a few years but i probably could have counted on 2 hands the number of times i had to grind mobs for XP. grinding mobs for drops/etc is another story, tho...

when i quit wow i was quitting mmo's. NTY. only MMO's id consider now are APB and GW2

WoW might be too "easy" but Aoin isn't "harder" because you have to do something a 10 year old retard could do all day long in grinding mobs and doing a few quests. and yes, i'm a wow hater, too.

If you havn't tried aion out you shouldn't be giving your opinion of the game. imo

Looking at screenshots isn't going to give you the feel of actually playing the game.

I do think the grind in Aion will give me more of a acomplishment feel once i hit 50.

Because back in 99 we didn't have the massive amount of spoiler sites like we do today. Until Thott from Afterlife created Thottbot (which ironically started out as an EQ item database site)

-the exploring part is gone.
-You know what you're going to spend your DKP on -
-you know what the zone looks like before you even enter

this is true i remember in EQ entering new zones having no idea what to expect sending messages iam lvl this will i die! lol god i miss the innocence of early EQ. Game was so harsh to failure kept alot of 10year olds away never seen a community as good as EQ. Guilds had to type for the most part since voice chat wasnt the norm.. well nto tilla l ittle later anyways. Doing some of those boss take downs with nthign but typing to communicate was amazing.

Anyone else feel this?

I definitely feel this as a sorc, and I am pretty sure that is there by design to pace certain aspects of combat. It was EXTREMELY annoying and irritating until I adapted to it. But coming off a chain cast with no downtime save a static gcd based off haste was something tough.

I hear though that delay can be shortened with certain types of attack or magic attack speed increases that some gear has.

As to the look of the game compared to wow, that is the deal breaker for wow to me atm. After seeing my character in Aion and seeing my character in wow, it is like my eyes are being flooded with needles wow chars are so ugly and blocky.

wow REALLY needs to totally revamp the graphics options, maybe make it a multi tier system, where you could toggle higher end textures or stick to an older graphics engine, though that may not be technically feasible.

So far gameplay is good enough with the extra graphics to keep me in Aion for the moment, but we'll see. I am not one of those guys that hated endgame wow, I still like/liked playing my character. Just wanted to try something new.

Last edited:
Back