Sick of Razer Mice - Alternatives?

Andrew_Carr

2[H]4U
So here's my dilemma. I hate the ergonomics of most any Logitech mouse I've used but I love the Razer mice ergonomics. On the other hand, my razer mice always fall apart because they're built like shit (tbh my current Krait has lasted a decent while, but its scroll wheel seems designed to fall apart).

Are there any good alternatives? I'd consider a logitech if it's similar in form to the razer mice, but most of them are just too big and shaped wrong for my comfort. I don't need the absolute best performing mouse either, so if there's a $5 mouse that's wired and feels about the same as a razer, I'd honestly consider switching. I can't justify $60+ for something that'll fall apart every couple years.

I've been using my Death Adder for 4 years now. I bought it used from Best Buy just as an FYI to how good it held up throughout the years.

im through 4 razer mice in as many years. shit.
dont know any nice alternative though. you could look at raptor, they are fairly similar.

Is the IntelliMouse really that good for gaming? I'm still using my MX518 I bought in 2007, just had to take it apart and clean it once since then, but the rubber coating came off and it looks pretty worn out now. :p It never really fit my hand well anyway but I'm used to it.

Also -1 on the Razer's, my DeathAdder started doubleclicking when I meant to click just once, very annoying. Also having your thumb rest on the sidebuttons sucks.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Intellimouse is probably the best bet. My Deathadder's been going strong for four years now but when it gives up the ghost I'm not going any more expensive than the 3.0. Feels silly buying "gaming" mice.

I gave up on getting razer mice, I love the feel of them but after the third or fourth one. I switched over to Logitech and absolutely could not stand the way it felt at first. After a week or two I started getting the feel of it and now I am rather pleased with my G9

Is the IntelliMouse really that good for gaming? I'm still using my MX518 I bought in 2007, just had to take it apart and clean it once since then, but the rubber coating came off and it looks pretty worn out now. :p It never really fit my hand well anyway but I'm used to it.

Also -1 on the Razer's, my DeathAdder started doubleclicking when I meant to click just once, very annoying. Also having your thumb rest on the sidebuttons sucks.

Its the only mouse I use its light friction is great for sniping. They are cheap and MS has a liberal RMA department. Good for larger hands also.

I have been using a new wireless Logitech G700 (5700 Dpi)

Best mouse I have ever had hands down. My last mouse was a G9 and I have owned all mice this world can produce :D

Last edited:
The Logitech G700 is working great for me too. I'm using it mostly on my HTPC and playing from the couch with it lately, so I can't quite speak to how well it works with competitive gaming like counter-strike etc. But it really seems to track very responsively and has tons of sensitivity and button settings you can tweak (which are stored in on-board memory on the mouse, so you don't have to install any extra software if you don't want). You'd think with 13 different buttons on the mouse, there would be issues with hitting the wrong one constantly, but the way the buttons are contoured and pointed out from each other there are really no issues with hitting the wrong one.

I used the G9 before this one - if you're dead-set on a corded mouse, I'd look into that one. I personally liked the small size of it, as it works great with claw-grip for more competitive gaming. But now that I'm getting used to all the tons of extra buttons on the G700, I'll probably just stick to that one.

HUm I just went and ordered an IM Explorer 3.0 since it was so cheap. We'll see in a few days if it can replace the 518.

Gonna go with the EC2. Would've gotten the Kinzu but the acceleration kills the deal for me, and the intellimouse at $32 isn't cheap enough for me.

Thanks for all the advice. I didn't know there were this many good options out there. I was used to the whole mx518 vs razer dichotomy.

My favorite is my Logitech G700 but I'd also recommend Steel Series Ikari and the MS X8 which I also use daily.

I prefer Logitech mice myself. They seem to be built better and last longer than anything else. Razer mice in comparison always felt poorly built and their firmware problems and driver problems are laughable at best.

Gonna go with the EC2. Would've gotten the Kinzu but the acceleration kills the deal for me, and the intellimouse at $32 isn't cheap enough for me.

Thanks for all the advice. I didn't know there were this many good options out there. I was used to the whole mx518 vs razer dichotomy.

The EC2 is a fine mouse. About the only complaints you will have with it will be the glossy, sweat-magnet sides and the prediction on the sensor. As for the durability, I haven't had mine long enough to speak to that.

I've been using the Logitech "G" series for quite some time (G5,G9,G9x). I've never been disappointed to say the least.

I've been using the Logitech "G" series for quite some time (G5,G9,G9x). I've never been disappointed to say the least.

Same here. I've owned a great deal of the MX and "G" series mice. Currently I'm using a G9 on my test bench and a G9x on my gaming machine.

Same here. I've owned a great deal of the MX and "G" series mice. Currently I'm using a G9 on my test bench and a G9x on my gaming machine.

I'll have to admit, the "rat" mouse did peak my interest, but after further review it seemed that there was a common issue with their sensors, so I stayed away. I'll probably never switch, until a new G* comes out. :eek:

I'll have to admit, the "rat" mouse did peak my interest, but after further review it seemed that there was a common issue with their sensors, so I stayed away. I'll probably never switch, until a new G* comes out. :eek:

Same here. It looked interesting but some of the reported tracking issues and surface compatibility problems, or even the driver issues were unacceptable to me or at least not worth the risk at that price.

"Sick of Razer Mice - Alternatives?"

WUT!!??

I predict your next thread will be titled "Sick of boobies - Alternatives?"

If you're used to that Krait, you must be one of those confangled claw grippers. I have a copperhead and a deathadder. I hate the copperhead and absolutely love the deathadder. The side buttons are too difficult to reach on the copperhead and krait if you have man hands.

Been using this for a few months now. Bought it on a whim to see what it is about. Have really liked it.

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-3HA-00001-SideWinder-X8-Mouse/dp/B001FA1SIM

41HWXPNPsGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I'm also one of those "confangled claw grippers" and have been looking for a suitable replacement for an old Copperhead. Not having much luck so far though sadly.

I always make this recommendation for mouse threads, so don't flame me if you think it gets old.

You should consider making the switch to trackballs. Ergonomics...check. Comfort...check. Quality? They last forever. I've had the same ones lying around for years and years. Finally, while they take some getting used to in games, once you get the hang of it you'll quickly find that they're better, even for FPS.

I've never had any issues with my Lachesis and I think it's two or three years old now. Don't know what the deal is. People must just be insanely hard on their hardware.

"Sick of Razer Mice - Alternatives?"

WUT!!??

I predict your next thread will be titled "Sick of boobies - Alternatives?"

If you're used to that Krait, you must be one of those confangled claw grippers. I have a copperhead and a deathadder. I hate the copperhead and absolutely love the deathadder. The side buttons are too difficult to reach on the copperhead and krait if you have man hands.

I've owned a Boomslang 2000, Viper, Copperhead, Deathadder (2 of them) and Lachesis. All of them have had issues at some point. Just about all of Razer's products have a history of issues.... check the link below....

I've never had any issues with my Lachesis and I think it's two or three years old now. Don't know what the deal is. People must just be insanely hard on their hardware.

I was a very early adopter of the Razer Lachesis and despite many many firmware changes I still have the cold boot bug to this day meaning 1 in 3 times when turning my PC on I have to replug my mouse to get it to start. This has been the case since day 1. There was no fix at that time and many folks had the issue. There was a new revision of the mouse released later that apprently fixed the issue. If you don't believe me you can go look at old threads about it at http://razerblueprints.net/

Next mouse I'm getting is a Logitech G700.

Lot's of good suggestions here. I've had my MX518 for about 3 years, and still works great. It just looks a bit rundown now :). I'm liking the G700, might be looking to buy one very soon.

I've been using a Logitec G9x that I paid $45 for at Best Buy paired with the Ratpadz XT since December and I've loved every minute of using it since. I'd recommend it to anyone who uses a claw grip. It has the best scroll wheel I've ever used and the build in general is very solid.

I had used the Intellimouse 3.0 for years then tried a Razor which was crap. Then I tried this one: Steel Series XAI Gaming Mouse It is fantastic and best of all the included software actually works well and I have not had any issues with it in games.

productpage_xai_top.png

Back