Sick of huge mouse pads!

Prozac1964

Limp Gawd
What's up everyone. I came here to simply vent----->about the need to use a huge mouse pad.:p I mean come on, 13' x 18' mouse pads. These pads are for the people that want their mouse sensitivity so low, that they have to make huge sweeping motions across their mouse pad just to make a 90 degree turn.

I mean I just want to play the fricking game, not go work out at the gym. :rolleyes: Just have some fun you know. I want to be able to play ANY game with a normal size mouse pad at a sensitivity that allows me to just turn my wrist a little to the left or right and see the enemy and make a shot. :) End of rant! :mad:

I don't even...

On topic big mouse pads can be used to set your keyboard on too you know.

I feel you 100%. I have an Icemat and Logitech G5 at 2,000 DPI full time. I barely use more than 1/4 of my icemat. :-\ I'm considering ordering/making an custom tempered glass mat.

To move my mouse a full side to side (1,980 pixel) I only have to move my mouse like a inch.

Maybe when I finally move onto multi display set up I would put all that surface to use. But I don't see that happening anytime soon.

I use a pretty high sensitivity, even for Windows but I still can't stand being limited to a small mousepad. I use one of the large 'deskpads' as they're usually called (11x14 I think) simply because having the flexibility to be able to move your mouse where it's most comfortable rather than moving the pad itself is important to me.

I also have a dual monitor setup, a 20" & 24" WS, but even then I've only got to move my mouse a total of 3 inches to move the pointer end-to-end.

Make the switch to trackballs then. I couldn't dream of ever going back to standard mice, even for gaming.

LOL, Whut?

Still drunk from last night? Go back to bed, sleep it off, come back later.

I have a big mousepad. I have a big desk. I have a couple of huge fricken monitors. I have the sensitivity on my g9 set at 1600dpi most of the time, but with one button I can have it at 3200 or 400 depending on the kind of work/game I'm doing.

You do realize that you can set your own sensitivity, don't you?

My sensitivity is higher, but not super high, and I don't really find the need for a large mouse pad. My current one is above average size though, since the benefit is I can fit 2 mice on there, one for my PC and the other for my laptop.

then give me a mouse that can run over 800 dpi without negative acceleration

oops

I can't even remember the last time I used a mouse pad, I simply use the top of my desk and it has worked perfect like that.

wtf is a mouse pad? Is that what we had to use back in '93?

Its well known that using a good mouse surface = better precision. I used to just use the surface of my desk until I got a good solid mousepad. I'll never go back to just using my desk.

well Ive never had a problem with my MX518, no need to fix something thats not broken.

What's up everyone. I came here to simply vent----->about the need to use a huge mouse pad.:p I mean come on, 13' x 18' mouse pads. These pads are for the people that want their mouse sensitivity so low, that they have to make huge sweeping motions across their mouse pad just to make a 90 degree turn.

I mean I just want to play the fricking game, not go work out at the gym. :rolleyes: Just have some fun you know. I want to be able to play ANY game with a normal size mouse pad at a sensitivity that allows me to just turn my wrist a little to the left or right and see the enemy and make a shot. :) End of rant! :mad:

get a better mouse then.. i love my 24"x24" razer mantis speed mouse pad.

my ratpadz XT is perfectly sized.

it's maybe 8" x 6" or so, and ive got it oriented vertically so that the rounded edge goes around my keyboard.

it's a perfect fit, and i've had this thing for YEARS, still looks brand new if i were to take a damp rag to it.

ratpadz

edit: sorry, read the website, it shows it's 11" by 9"

either way, it isnt ginormous by any means.

I have a SC2 mouse pad that came with my sc2 collectors, its the perfect size for me (like 6x8 or something). RTS games and web browsing I find it not big enough (eyefinity set-up lol) but FPS games its perfect

I use one of the large 'deskpads' as they're usually called (11x14 I think)

This isn't really a large mouse pad by today's gaming standards. These are the types of pads that low sensitivity gamers are using:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5374236&SRCCODE=GOOGLEBASE&cm_mmc_o=VRqCjC7BBTkwCjCECjCE

http://shop.steelseries.com/us/index.php/surfaces-us/steelseries-qck-plus.html

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817114174

Most of these pads are roughly 14" x 17". These are the type of pads you want to have if you are playing fps and want to be extremely accurate with sniper rifles/hitscan weapons. BUT you have to pick up your mouse a lot and make large sweeping motions to turn your mouse view and crosshair onto your opponent to get a shot. This is what I'm not willing to do anymore...the only thing you can do is raise your mouse sensitivity so you don't have to turn much at all to line up a shot. I know I will lose a great deal of my sniping accuracy, but I'll have more fun not having to work so hard just to play the game.

Make the switch to trackballs then. I couldn't dream of ever going back to standard mice, even for gaming.

This sounds interesting. Do they make any trackballs that are designed for gamers?

So... buy a mousepad that isn't as big?

The mouse pad I have isn't big....that's what I'm getting at. To play at low sensitivity, you need a huge mouse pad just to navigate.

get a better mouse then.. i love my 24"x24" razer mantis speed mouse pad.

I can't accept this solution. The Logitech G500 is at least in the top 5 of all gaming mice!

Maybe it's more a question of mouse sensitivity. I have an average size pad 10 x 12, but if I tried to play at low sensitivity I would just slip off of it, because it isn't large enough. So high sens=smaller mouse pad and low sens=large mouse pad.

The mouse pad I have isn't big....that's what I'm getting at. To play at low sensitivity, you need a huge mouse pad just to navigate.

So... you're complaining about the nature of physical reality? That in order to play with a low sensitivity you must use a large pad in order to have room to make sweeping movements?

You've got two options: play at a low sensitivity and use a large pad. Don't like the large pad? Play at a high sensitivity with a small one. This is not rocket surgery.

I have a bigger mousepad than I need. I have a very cramped desk (it's three feet wide, and it has two machines at it, each with their own monitor, keyboard, and mouse), and it's nice because it is flexible. I keep two mice on it, and my cell phone and my watch. I used to use two regular sized mousepads side by side, but it was a waste of space. Now I can push my HTPC mouse all the way to the edge and use my main rig's mouse, or vice-versa. I run a Siderwinder mouse at 1000dpi which is only a couple of inches to go from one side to the other of my monitor.

low sens are for baddies anyways. Might as well be on the xbox 360 controller if you want slow non responsive clunky movements

I remember being at a LAN party years ago and we were making fun of the one guy because he had one of those large mousepads and had a really low sensitivity for all games. We were joking that what he really needed was a 360' mousepad that wrapped all the way around him with a rotating monitor stand just so he could turn all the way around. Oh, those were the good days...

So... buy a mousepad that isn't as big?

What the hell am I reading here?

True story.

Don't rant about other people's decisions. Some people like gaming at lower sensitivity. It shouldn't matter to you unless you're a control freak..

Don't rant about other people's decisions.

It's a free country. I can rant about anything I want.

Some people like gaming at lower sensitivity. It shouldn't matter to you unless you're a control freak..

More power to the people that want to game at low sensitivity. And it doesn't matter to me in the least, if that's what they want. How does me not wanting to make me a control freak?

Anyway, thank you so much to everyone that posted something relevant and helpful on my original post. I appreciate your input. That's the good stuff! :)

What a pointless thread.

Is someone holding a gun to your head forcing you to use large pads? Are there games out there forcing so low sensitivity that you feel compelled to buy large pads?

Hmm, this thread makes me want to upgrade my damn mouse again.

(or at least set mine up proper)

Last edited:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-DdbLqm_Ao

I use pretty much my whole zowie G-TF for doing a 360 turn which is fast enough for slow paced games like bc2 css etc where you usually have to track targets that don't move that fast compared to QL warsow etc

For faster paced games i use about 30cm/360, like L4D2 or HL2DM, i always play on cloth pads because it just feels better, hard surfaces are usually too uncomfortable for my skin.

Oh all you guys who are talking shit about low sens players, i would love to see you try your hand in more complex slower paced games like cs 1.6 instead of CoD, in cs everybody who plays on a 10cm/360 because he's too lazy to move his mouse is doomed to be a scrub for eternity due to unforgiving recoil mechanics, especially if his NOT using his dominant hand for aiming like i've done for many years and still kick myself for doing so.

I use two giant mouse pads, plus another for a backup in case I have to wash one (cats).

One is slightly thicker and I can wedge my phone between it and the monitor stand, which allows for one-handed dialing into conference calls @ work without disrupting my mouse hand. So there! :p

Back