Shuttle SP35P2 Pro: Project Open Air ***PICS***

Well, finished installing the Accelero S1 Rev2. It's working out SO much better then I expected with the single 92mm fan. Here's a comparison of my load temps after only about a minute or two before and after the Accelero installation:

Stock Cooler - 35% fan speed
GPU Temp.(DISPIO): 72c
GPU Temp.(MEMIO): 76c
GPU Temp.(SHADERCORE): 73c
VDDC Slave #1 Temperature: 66c
VDDC Slave #2 Temperature: 69c
VDDC Slave #3 Temperature: 68c

Accelero S1 Rev2 92mm
GPU Temp.(DISPIO): 55c
GPU Temp.(MEMIO): 59c
GPU Temp.(SHADERCORE): 56c
VDDC Slave #1 Temperature: 81c
VDDC Slave #2 Temperature: 86c
VDDC Slave #3 Temperature: 87c

GPU temps are all down up to 17c which is amazing under full load in Furmark! The VDDC temps are higher but still under 90c and completely acceptable. The reason for this is because the heatsink that comes with the Accelero isn't compatible with the HD4870 and I had to use a zip-tie to hold down one side.

All in all I'm very pleased. I'll have pics posted eventually, just wanted to let everyone know that even with a single 92mm fan under 40cfm the Accelero S1 Rev2 is MORE then capable of cooling the HD4870 and it's VRM's.

I just ran through a half hour of Furmark in fullscreen @ 1280x1024 with clocks at 800/1,000. GPU tops out at 69C and VDDC temps climb to about 110C. VDDC is still a little high, but if it's stable enough at those temps to get through Furmark for a half hour I don't think I'll have issues gaming as is.

It actually looks pretty sweet because now the Accelero is parralel to the HR-05 and with the 3 large "tower" looking heatsinks all in such close proximity everything looks very symetrical and sound.

I've got some stuff to do today but I'll have pics posted later today or after the long weekend (thanksgiving for us north of the border) so you guys can see how everything just barely worked out. :)

I just bought a 10 megapixel Fuji SLR so I should be able to get pictures posted tonight with the accelero installed.

Here's some pictures for now, I'm not as skilled with the camera as I could be but I couldn't resist playing around and getting a few pictures posted to get my feet wet.

One of my favorite angle shots showing off the paint job:

A look at the top of the case from an angle:

A look from head-on, another one of my favorite shots showing off the mesh:

A close-up shot of the bottom left corner of the front panel, and my power button. ;)

A look from up above, nothing special, just wanted one from this angle:

Another one of my favs, see the monitor reflection in the side panel? :D

A look at how close the top of the Accelero is to the top cross-bar in the case, I had the angle the card in to fit the fins into the case and under that bar...a damn close fit:

A shot from the bottom of the case, showing how little space there is between the Ultra-120, Mosfet heatsink and the Accelero:

Looking through the left side panel...showing that there is next to no space from another/a larger fan on the Accelero S1 Rev2:

I'll get some more pictures in the next couple days with the case panels removed so you can see inside the case a little better, but I wanted to get some good/better pictures of the paint job posted before I relax and actually start enjoying the system.

There's still a little work I want to get done, so don't worry...there will be more updates to come in the next week and a half.

Dude, that is a killer f*ckin' cube. It's also good to know the the Accelero VRM cooler works on 4870, albeit with a little hackage.

I tried the T-Rad2 (great at cooling GPU, terrible at cooling VRMs) and the DuOrb (terrible at cooling everything) before going with the Accelero, so props to you for saving yourself the pain.

What is the noise level of the overall box like? I'm curious because so much of the tower is vented, it seems that it might let sound "out" of the case easier than other towers.

Dude, that is a killer f*ckin' cube. It's also good to know the the Accelero VRM cooler works on 4870, albeit with a little hackage.

I tried the T-Rad2 (great at cooling GPU, terrible at cooling VRMs) and the DuOrb (terrible at cooling everything) before going with the Accelero, so props to you for saving yourself the pain.

What is the noise level of the overall box like? I'm curious because so much of the tower is vented, it seems that it might let sound "out" of the case easier than other towers.

Thanks man. The Accelero does cool the VRM's sufficiently, even when OC'd with a single 92mm fan it stays @ 110C and is stable for over an hour of Furmark. I'm sure with a second 92mm fan and a better mount on the VRM heatsink there'd be even less to worry about.

I figured that the TRad wouldn't be exceptional at VRM cooling and I had to learn the hard way with the DuOrb, but I'm quite pleased with the Accelero S1 Rev2. I might modify the VRM heatsink, maybe drill a new hole so it can screw down properly, but the VRM chip on the side with the ghetto mount is only a few degrees warmer then the others so I'm not really worried.

Honestly, other then the damn near silent PSU fan I only have the Scythe 120mm "F" on the Ultra-120 and the single 92mm on the Accelero. Both fans are just below or just over 2000RPM and well under 30dBA so in my opinion it's not loud at all.

I enjoy a small amount of fan noise just to know that the system is running, and the 92mm Xigmatek @ 2,000RPM and 24dBA is the loudest thing in the case.

It all turned out so well, with so much open space on the side panels there is next to no heat that stays trapped inside the case, even with only the 2 fans, 3 counting the PSU fan.

I'm putting through the order for the tool I need to finish replacing the PSU connectors (ATX pin remover broke) as well as a 4" CCFL tomorrow and final pictures will be posted before the 24th.

I found that the lighting from the OCZ memory cooler gets blocked by the HR-05 and doesn't make it to the right side of the case, so I'll be adding the 4" CCFL (blue or white) under the PSU to flood the floor of the system on both sides of the HR-05. I'm thinking of going with the White CCFL and just taking out the OCZ Memory cooler if I like the white lighting or leaving them both in if it blends well enough.

We'll see...pics in the next week or so hopefully. :)

Well, the unthinkable has happened, the Shuttle is dead. :(

Friday night I wasn't doing much of anything, just finished installing some updates, restarted the computer...and it just never turned back on. I went through everything I could, thinking it was a problem with my HD4870, but no luck. Only the next morning did I unplug my PSU cables to get the video card out when I noticed that one of the pins in the 4pin AUX 12v cable was melted and the plastic housing on the connector was discolored. Obviously with the "short" came damage to the connection/pin on the motherboard...two dead components so far. It took me until the next afternoon to get over to a friends house to test everything else out, it's all still working...except for my HD4870. :(

With all of the modding/work I have done to the case, as well as modifying the Oasis cooling system and removing unnecessary PSU cables my warranty is basically shot on the Shuttle (which I knew when I started the mods). It would cost me roughly 300-400 dollars to purchase a replacement PSU and mobo through Shuttle, aside from the hassle of waiting for them to get anything to me over the border.

I was then faced with a tough decision, do I fork out the money for the two parts only to be left with a completely proprietary system, or do I spend another $100 and pickup a new case/mobo/psu and move back to a freely upgradable mATX or ATX based system. In the end I have chosen to go the mATX route. If time was no issue I might have waited for the parts from Shuttle, but I have a 100 person LAN I'm attending this coming friday, and I would have been left without a working computer had I stuck with Shuttle. Even aside from the upcoming LAN party, I was having a hard time justifying that kind of money spent on two proprietary components, now being slightly more cautious and nervous that this may happen again.

My friend is loaning me his 8800GTS while I try to get my HD4870 replaced through Visiontek and aside from that I ordered the following parts today and I will be recieving them by tuesday or wednesday...a mere two days before the LAN.

1 - Silverstone TJ08 mATX Case
2 - Silverstone Strider 750W Modular PSU
3 - DFI Lanparty Jr DK P45-T2RS mATX Motherboard
4 - Thermalright Ultima-90 Heatsink

I have wanted to work with the TJ08 for a long time, and I will be able to replicate almost all of the Shuttle mods with the TJ08, and improve on them...I'm even planning an internal watercooling loop using a 120.2 rad mounted in the front of the case after some clever modding. The PSU was sitting at a great price, and the modular design and Silverstone reliability were key for me. The DFI P45 Jr mATX board is actually one of DFI's best LGA775 boards when it comes to overclocking, supporting 1,333fsb 45nm CPU's, high speed DDR2 and crossfire it's more then I need at the moment and will keep me occupied for some time. The Ultima-90 was added to the order last minute because my Ultra-120 isn't going to fit in it's typical vertical position to line up with the rear exhaust fan in the case with the small space available between the PSU and top of the mobo in the TJ08. The Ultima-90 fits just fine and is only inferior to the Ultra-120 by a few degrees. My E8400 should be here tomorrow, and once I get it lapped and underneath the lapped Ultima-90 I should be able to easily push it past 4GHz with the DFI P45 Jr.

So yes, while this is a great tragedy, it also came as a blessing in disguise, as I now have the motivation I've needed for quite awhile to get serious again about overclocking, case modding and watercooling...and I'll finally have a system capable enough to justify putting that kind of time into...one which will also be much more upgradable then the Shuttle as time goes on.

It saddens me to end the worklog like this, but I just wanted to keep you guys informed one way or another.

Thanks for all the support along the way...it has meant so much, and I can't wait to get started on the TJ08, "Project Open Air2" within the coming weeks. :cool:

Back