Shuttle SB75S mods for better cooling and some pics

gopherscanswim

Limp Gawd
So here's some pictures of my not new but recently modified shuttle. This has a combination of bits from my old Antec 1080AMG case as well as upgraded parts (RAM, video and the bigger hard drive). All told, I've had the shuttle case for roughly a year now.

front.jpg

this is the special edition with the nice sparkly white paint as you can see

right.jpg

2gb of RAM hiding under there

left.jpg

I had a tough time after upgrading last november from my old 9800Pro 256mb (the underclocked XT card) to the X800XL because it blocked my 2nd SATA port. A right angle cable solved that.

video.jpg

The card is obviously big, or the case is small. Either way it was a tight fit.

cables.jpg

Cables routed out of the way. They looked better before, I haven't finished stuffing everything back in.

ice.jpg

Of course the shuttle ICE cooler and a bit of the motherboard. Hiding under that is my 2.8C Pentium 4 running at 230mhz. The 2gb of RAM is running 1:1 with the bus.

fan1.jpg

Here you can see what my tinkering was today. I removed the metal grill on the back...

[/img]
fan2.jpg

...and stole a fan vibration isolator out of my antec as both a gasket and for vibration isolation. That's an 80mm to 120mm fan adapter and I have an Arctic Cooling 120mm fan on there that moves noticeably more air than my old medium output 80mm panaflo and is also a lot quieter. I took the PCI mounting plate off an old NIC to give me a nice hole to pass the fan power cable through. All together, the 120mm is keeping things cooler than before (in particular both my hard drives).

My next step is to quiet the video card since it's noticeably the loudest thing in the case. The problem there is I'm not sure what cooler I can fit on it. I'm not cutting a hole in the side of the case to fit a cooler like some SFF users have. I might put some sound deadening material on the inside of the case cover since I can get some fairly cheap but I know replacing the GPU cooler would be my biggest benefit.

Any recommendations on a good GPU cooler for this situation would be great. I'm still searching.

I looked at those but I think it'll stick out too far from the card. I probably have about 20mm to work with.

Back