Shutdown windows remotely from Linux

Well, I need to find a way to shut down a machine from other locations of my house, and since I have a laptop, with debian installed, with wifi, it would be nice ifI could remotely shut the machine down.

maybe wine and copy shutdown.exe to the linux box, just a guess. default location is c:\windows\system32

otherwise perhaps enable telnet and use telnet to run shutdown, i guess 2k and xp have shutdown.exe, don't know about others

Shutdown doesn't work unless you have authentication, so telnetting in would work where just running shutdown.exe through WINE would probably not.

For those of us that also need this, and don't know, you can enable the build in micrsoft telnet server by going to run, services.msc and starting telnet as a service. It should be off by default. Thanks guys. I forgot about windows shell access.

make sure that the machines are only accessible within the network for obvious security reasons

maybe you can get wine to operate shutdowngui

i'm not sure where to dl it...got it from a friend. i can throw it up on my site to dl if you want to give it a wirl.

Back