Shrout Says Intel Said 2020 on Discrete GPU

I740 take ..4?

I actually did compatibility testing (not at Intel) for the i740. It was actually a half-decent chip. Not precisely state of the art, but definitely a solid entry for the time. The only issue was that Intel couldn't write video drivers back then to save their lives, so they had all manner of problems. If I remember correctly I played a bit of Incoming on the test cards. At least I think that was in the suite at the time. (I did a LOT of video card testing back then. It could be that it was the Matrox G200 that I played that on... :D The i740s weren't amazing like I said, but they were definitely quite playable in many of the test suite games.

Edit: Just looked up the time-frames. Pretty sure it was both the i740 and the G200 that we tested with Incoming, as that was a game being tested in the labs at the time. All of these were '98ish. I think I was running a Creative Voodoo II and possibly a Riva 128 AGP as the main card around that time at home. The i740 wouldn't have kept up with either, but wasn't exactly awful either... Just those drivers... :sick:

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually did compatibility testing (not at Intel) for the i740. It was actually a half-decent chip. Not precisely state of the art, but definitely a solid entry for the time. The only issue was that Intel couldn't write video drivers back then to save their lives, so they had all manner of problems. If I remember correctly I played a bit of Incoming on the test cards. At least I think that was in the suite at the time. (I did a LOT of video card testing back then. It could be that it was the Matrox G200 that I played that on... :D The i740s weren't amazing like I said, but they were definitely quite playable in many of the test suite games.

Edit: Just looked up the time-frames. Pretty sure it was both the i740 and the G200 that we tested with Incoming, as that was a game being tested in the labs at the time. All of these were '98ish. I think I was running a Creative Voodoo II and possibly a Riva 128 AGP as the main card around that time at home. The i740 wouldn't have kept up with either, but wasn't exactly awful either... Just those drivers... :sick:

Now awfull or not is strongly subjective. i rember the hype about how it was going to be new performance leader//best value due to it using AGP texture mapping to save memory./.
but when it arrived the performance/dollars was not just there/ neither top performance which makes the product obsolete in my eye.

TL:DR It was not in anyway or shape parato frontier material.

Now awfull or not is strongly subjective. i rember the hype about how it was going to be new performance leader//best value due to it using AGP texture mapping to save memory./.
but when it arrived the performance/dollars was not just there/ neither top performance which makes the product obsolete in my eye.

TL:DR It was not in anyway or shape parato frontier material.

No, it definitely wasn’t. I think the short way of putting what I wrote, is that it was better than I expected it to be. I didn’t expect much, so I was slightly impressed that it was as good as it was. :D

Back