Shroud of the Avatar

There is a free trial available, but not on Steam currently.

Anyone who finishes the main story now gets a free row lot.

Physical goods are finally shipping soon, and episode 2 has been announced.
Also here is the Q3 schedule: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/q3-schedule-update.132153/

Good info! Yes there is a free trial available! Here's the direct link - https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=85197

As you can see, much like most MMO trials there are a few limitations mainly designed to keep trolls / real money traders / spammers from messing up the game, but it will let you get started. Don't worry about things not being on Steam - one great element is that accounts directly on the SotA page can generate a Steam code for their use when you apply a full game key to the account.

Episode 2 is the first major expansion to SotA. There have been at least 5 major episodes planned since the earliest days of the game, as some of the early backers have pledges that include at least those 5 and in some cases, even all future episodes. Its worth it to mention that Ep2 is scheduled to add many major features, but there are even more connected to "Stretch Goals" if they can raise the funds needed to implement them. To this end they've brought back the Stretch Goal Store (Ep2) - https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=40715 . Basically, these are items that you can purchase and will be available to you in game right now in some form, but will be drastically enhanced if their stretch goal is met for Ep2.

For instance, they've started with Mounts. There are several foals you can purchase now plus a hitching post item. If enough people buy them, then an upgraded version of me Mounts feature will be present in Ep2 with new functions, and your foal (which currently acts as an in-game pet) will become a fully grown horse able to be ridden! They have also mentioned a number of other stretch goal categories including Flexible Lot Placement (ie right now major fixtures like basements and houses have to be placed in certain places on their lots, and minor fixtures have several options. With this upgrade, there will be a chance to upgrade the underlying placement tech for houses and whatnot to allow massive flexibility!), Pack Animals (and of course a whole sub-system of useful trade routes and whatnot that would make use of them), and even playable Elves - the last of which is personally the most exciting for me. Remembering the last time they did some thing like this, we may also get Nautical stretch goal as various forms of boating were scheduled for an expansion as well.

Just letting everyone know that Today - 7/20 - there is another "Part 2" style Livestream starting at 3pm CDT! Purchased made from 12pm to 12am today will "count" towards the July R55 rewards, which are Lord British (and his birthday) themed as mentioned before. At time of writing we're at 59K, with the next reward at 65K! More info - https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?p=96341 - there's also some other stuff here and on the homepage directly that's pretty neat not only about the state of the game, but a musician is going to have an in-game release party for his album! One of the neat things enabled by SOTA thinking outside the box such as lots of musical features (ie lots of instruments for players to play "live" in game, period specific of course. However there are also steampunk-ish phonographs that play in-game wax cylinders and even integration with Shoutcast-style streams/internet radio).

For those who want all the goodies but don't want to have to remember to tune into a Livestream when they happen etc... Portalarium has a convenient solution now launched called the Shroud of the Avatar Rewards Program - https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=77345 - Basically, its a $9 subscription that confers all the Telethon Livestream goals from that month, plus grants you $10 worth of COTOs (the singular premium currency, purchased for real money as well as dropped in-game) , bonus items every month of your choice, plus titles if you keep with it for several months in a row! Considering that you need to make a minimum $5 purchase during the proper window to qualify for the rewards, this optional subscription confers quite a bit for a low price!~

In addition they have added more items to not only the add-on store, but the Episode 2 Expansion store, including the Unicorn masks and a new Barn-styled home which for a limited time grants a game key for the Episode 2 Expansion itself as well as some other goodies!

There's a lot going on this weekend including Double XP every weekend in July! 20% discount on Housing items this weekend too; save a lot on higher ticket stuff here. Oh, and they just announced that every 30 min during Livestream they'll give away stuff to people in the chat. As I type this, the Telethon has started so get in if you want to ask questions and enjoy! Of course, if yo uhve any Q's for me just let me know!

Today, 8/3/18 there will be the first Release 56 Livestream for the month, from 3pm-7pm CT! More info here - https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?p=97002

This month's Telethon goals are Cosmos related, given that over the past couple of game versions there is a special event where a comet has been approaching the planet, giving off strange energy. Besides new storylines and quests, it has prompted the addition of multiple types of enemies affected by the comet's power, and some entirely new ones brought into existence. This is just one of the many long term, evolving live events in SOTA! Here's a paste of the blurb from the link about the reward goals and themes..

"
As a special bonus, we are offering funding rewards to any player that makes a minimum purchase of $5 during a twelve hour window during the day of the livestream, on August 3 from 12:00 PM to 11:59 PM CDT (August 3 17:00 to August 4 05:00 UTC). At the suggestion of one of our players (Redfish) the theme for this livestream is Cosmos in honor of the comet which is making its closest approach during Release 56! All of the items will prominently display our Sun Magic, Moon Magic, or some other celestial symbol like staAll purchases during the twelve hour window will count towards the stretch goals, not just the four hours of the livestream! You can also earn the stretch goals by being part of our Rewards Program.
  • $10K: Aether Lich Statue (Foyer Size)
  • $25K: Aether 1H Sword and Aether Shield
  • $35K: Double XP Every Weekend in August
  • $50K: Aether Bow & Aether Crossbow
  • $65K: Box of Replenishing Aether Dye
  • $80K: Aether Dragon Statue (Village size)
  • $90K: Aether Axe, Aether 1H Spear, Aether 2H Bludgeon
  • $100K: Celestial Themed Wizard Robes
"

There's a lot of neat stuff going on in game as well, so any questions let me know!

100 grand for some robes! That's even worse than Star Citizen!

You realize that's not the price of the robes, right? That's a bonus item that is granted to everyone who pledged during the telethon period / livestream, if the total was reached through all their purchases.

Many players wait until Livestream Telethon days in order to make their purchases as first they count towards that month's goal items being unlocked and second, there are lots of significant sales during the stream itself and the entire day or weekend. At current we're at 33K and hopefully with hit at lest 35 by midnight. Hopefully there will be another Telethon day for the same rewards in a week or two to pick up where we left off, like last time. Overall, anyone who even spends a couple of bucks gets some unique items and the more goals we reach together ,the more extras are made available.

Game is now free to play. Kinda figures considering how heavy they rely on microtransactions.

Interesting. It does actually seem to make sense from what I've seen, but still. I prefer to "buy" a game (yeah, I know...) and then at least pretend that I own it, and feel good about ignoring most of the nickle/dime items unless they're truly interesting for some reason. Well, I suppose at least now I can give this game a whirl. I was still holding out a bit more trying to decide if I should jump or not.

However, with Ascendant coming out, my RPG time will be spent.

However, with Ascendant coming out, my RPG time will be spent.

pretty sure you meant Destiny 2 expansion, not ultima underworld ascendant, if you did thank you for letting me know, if you did not, than check it out (coming out soon) here is hoping is "very dark and gloomy" not this constant need for bright and cheerful destroying the somber aura,

I quite enjoyed ultima underworld (reminds me very much of king's field games, I know different years and makers but that is besdes the point) the "feel" was very much there about exploring dark nasty places, and very much why I enjoyed Diablo 1 and 2 as well as "mostly" demon/dark souls, though dark souls "ruined the feel (for me) by basically requiring always online or remove net connection to avoid being invaded constantly, but at least it had the "evil" feel to it (which I vastly enjoy for RPG games) only exception thus far has been most of the final fantasy games ^.^

There have been a lot of new upgrades to the game with Release 59, including new Fishing upgrades and vastly revamped new player experience! CHeck things out here - https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?p=100939 . At the bottom you can see many of the in-game events and player created stuff.

Overall the Telethon goals have been upgraded as well, with totals measured monthly but weekly Livestreams + "qualifying purchase" windows. Every Friday, there will now be a Telethon and any purchases made within the 12 hour window that day (not just while the stream is on), will "count" towards that month's stretch goal items. Furthermore, there are big sales every friday and others over the weekend so its the best time to contribute for value and to get some neat extras too, if you wish! You need to spend at least $5 during one of the month's sessions to qualify for whatever gets unlocked, so just keep that in mind. Alternately, you can get in on the Subscription Rewards Program for $9 a month which is really nice, as you not only qualify for every month without having to think of it, but get some COTOs, choice of special potions, in-game titles and other stuff if you choose to subscribe consecutively (ie bonuses after 3 months etc..).

Its also worth mentioning that they recently opened up ALL of the items that were formerly Bundle only or rarely found in game for COTOs, to the store. They'er going to remove many of items comprising different Bundles from the store on Nov 30th (Kobold and Viking) or Dec 21 (Elven, Shogun , Obsidian). Bundles themselves are majorly discounted and some of the items are as well, so grab them while you can; Fridays until 12/21 just about everything on the store will be 50% off! Don't forget that mostt all items can be purchased with COTOs / "Crowns" too, which can be not just purchased but acquired in game by actual play as well as trading with other players. Of course, for those playing offline single player mode everything is completely accessible with in-game gold!

The game has really grown a lot and we're still moving toward the Episode 2 expansion. If you haven't checked out SOTA or just haven't played for awhile now is great time to check it out!

New and old players alike be sure to check out - https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/playerinstructions - it is linked to a hosted document that is specific to and updated for each release; currently Release 59 as of this writing! This is essentially both a player;'s guide and patch notes put together and can be very helpful

Edit: As bigdogchris mentioned, the game has now been advertised as "free to play", but this is something of an evolution of existing policies. It used to be that players could play the game as an "unlimited free trial" of sorts, with certain restrictions until they purchased the game (aka Episode 1). Basically, since they totally revamped not just the brand new tutorial area plus the whole 3 "starting areas w/quest lines" , they want lots of people to see it and check out the game. Episode 1 of the game itself no longer requires purchase because of this, but the upcoming expansions like Episode 2 etc... will require a single purchase each time like most MMO expansions. You can pre-purchase Ep 2 Expansion now on the Add-On Store for around $19 (which I think is a discount compared to closer to launch and comes with a title + other stuff), or it is included in certain other content purchases like Bundles etc. Some of us old folks with early-era packages have it included already too so there's a chance you may already have an Episode 2 pre-order.

I think opening the doors to Episode 1 could be a great idea at this point in the game's development and hopefully it will have a positive effect on new players

Last edited:
They are selling episodes now. Not that I really care since I never liked this game, what happens to us that kickstarted it?

They are selling episodes now. Not that I really care since I never liked this game, what happens to us that kickstarted it?

I too am a Kickstarter backer. Depending on which Pledge you purchased, you probably at least have access to Episode 1 and the upcoming Episode 2 expansion. If you paid more than $60 (and certainly more than $100), you probably also have Episodes 3 , 4, and/or 5.. Unfortunately the recent graphical update to the website removed the historical Pledge data it seems so I can't confirm it. It should be noted that the Episode / expansion structure was announced and listed from the very beginning, which is one reason why early pledges had references to later Episodes included. The idea of a 5 Episode / expansion system was the original design for the scope of the game; all content we've seen thus far is within Episode 1 and probably will be so well into next year if not longer. Its very similar to many "buy to play" or even some F2P titles where expansions are sold when new and then later incorporated into the base/free etc..package or failing that, at least discounted (ie Guild Wars 2).

Not sure if you just didn't like the underlying idea or whatnot, but if you played early on and found it barebones (which it may have been depending on your preference and how early you were playing) now's a good time to check in on it with all the new content and especially the revamped new user experience. It may just not be your kind of game of course - it has a heavy Ultima Online vibe and focuses on the roleplaying elements, but the free monthly content updates have really made some pretty tremendous progress

Ascendant isn't getting great reviews in beta though.

I judge games on my own after I gather enough information to know whether I may like it or not.

So far, I've only seen complaints about stiff animation, character design, and color choices. Nothing about the actual game. People also complained about Ultima VIII: Pagan (which is one of my favorites aside from Complete VII) and I also liked U9 Ascension despite some of the voice acting, and the "EA Truncated" experience from releasing it before it was ready.

Ascendant looks pretty much like an Ultima / Underworld game to me. Ultima games were always a little cartoony in appearance, and as long as the interaction, story, and play are there, I'm all set. I can live with the visuals just fine. While they don't look big budget modern to me, they look imaginative, and Ultima-like.

So, short version, I'm excited anyway. (we'll see though)

pretty sure you meant Destiny 2 expansion, not ultima underworld ascendant, if you did thank you for letting me know, if you did not, than check it out (coming out soon) here is hoping is "very dark and gloomy" not this constant need for bright and cheerful destroying the somber aura,

I quite enjoyed ultima underworld (reminds me very much of king's field games, I know different years and makers but that is besdes the point) the "feel" was very much there about exploring dark nasty places, and very much why I enjoyed Diablo 1 and 2 as well as "mostly" demon/dark souls, though dark souls "ruined the feel (for me) by basically requiring always online or remove net connection to avoid being invaded constantly, but at least it had the "evil" feel to it (which I vastly enjoy for RPG games) only exception thus far has been most of the final fantasy games ^.^

I don't play Destiny. (or MMO type games in general) The reason I'm interested in Shroud is just that it's been so long since I've played new Ultima(style) content, and it has a single player aspect.

Definitely meant Underworld Ascendant. ;)

I agree. I love exploring ancient worlds, with plenty of ruins, where not everything needs an explanation or purpose. Souls games are ok, but yeah, Diablo 1/2, mid-series (6,7,8) Ultimas, etc. are among my favorites.

I just started a new character in SOTA to see the new tutorial and starter areas and its quite enjoyable, flowing much better than the first iteration. There's still a few gitches of the "old" quest chains or requirements I've found in the Highvale (ie Courage path starter) side, but overall it is very solid indeed. They've made quite a few quality of life changes too and overall things flow more easily. For thoselike J3RK who may prefer the more "old school" way of adventuring, exploring the world etc... it really has a pretty unique charm and strikes a great mix of usability without so much hand-holding. You need to be aware of your surroundings, check out things like signs and whatnot that you can interact with if you're close enough etc.. to glean info that may point you in the right direction. You may hear a rumor from an unrelated character that may end up helping with a completely different quest or giving you different "keywords" during chat with NPCs etc. The combat and skill system continues to be refined, and besides the normal train-by-use and unlock/learn-with-pooled-XP, there are special mechanics that can be unlocked at Adventure Trainers when the player wishes, such as adding a 3rd "type" of utility hotbar ; something that players can do when they're comfortable with the default in-combat and out-of-combat types. Those who want a more tactical combat style can choose the "Free Attack" system (also unlocked at your leisure) which can allow you to click-to-attack, hold buttons to charge up etc... but you have to aim, time your strikes so some may just prefer the standard MMO style combat but once unlocked you can swap as you wish.

I've barely scratched the surface since starting a new character (and haven't claimed any of my legacy packaged stuff etc..) but I'll have a lot to learn basically returning to the game and starting anew.

Oh here are a few things to keep in mind for anyone starting out...

Make sure you're aware of the Options > Interface/UI section. By default, there are NO floating nameplates of any kind so it may be difficult to know who is who without clicking to get the target unit frame to pop up. However, there's an easy toggle to allow floating nameplates. Its also of note that turning on floating nameplates will turn them on for other PCs and some NPCs that you know "properly" by name, but does NOT show any plates for NPCs you do not know by name. There is a separate checkbox for something like "Activate generic nameplates for NPCs you don't know" and doing so will make it so that they'll have names like all the guards of a particular city will be named "A Highvale Guard". Talking to them however and asking their name, and this will be replaced by "Private Berkwitz / Highvale Guard" or something like that. Some can prefer to not have names over NPCs they don't know to more easily separate things, but others prefer the generic names and no matter what its a simple set of UI/Interface checkboxes to choose as you like.

Overall its great fun for those who want something a bit different. Let me know any questions and I'll try to assist!@

I Kickstarted at the explorer level, so every episode they release in the future is free for me at launch. I hope they make it all the way to episode 5 because I can't stop playing this game. I love the new fishing system.

And I am also disappointed to hear about Underworld Ascendant not being Ultima Underworld-like. That was the only other game I Kickstarted besides Shroud.

Its friday again and that means Livestream (starting at 4 CT) and major discounts - up to 50%+ - store wide!

Today's livestream is specifically on a topic very enjoyable for me - Roleplaying! Discussion on how SOTA's various systems allow for and contribute to RP potential will be neat to watch indeed! R59 Monthly Stretch Goals are "fish related" to go along with the new fishing features and this is the last Friday where contributions between 12pm and 11:59pm CT will count towards them, before moving onto the next group. As usual s they will be offering a variety of free prizes during the stream!

Check things out here and be ready for when the stream starts! https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?p=101314

Edit: Today's livestream is humorous to watch. The devs and others are attending a roleplayed restaurant and chaos ensues, including discussion of potential child labor laws, a mariachi-style band, and more

Last edited:
Happy Thanksgiving / Black Friday / Cyber Monday!

To commemorate this holiday, SOTA is having a ton of in-game events! Furthermore, there are some MAJOR sales all weekend long! https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?p=101613

All weekend long add-on store items will be 50% off nearly across the board; a great time to contribute to the game. Furthermore, all the money spent during the entire weekend count toward the R60 Livestream Goals... we're already accomplished several! I should also mention that the physical boxed collector's edition is on sale for only $19 via Amazon, for those who may be interested - it comes with some neat lore-related items such as a cloth map and guide to the SOTA runic language. If anyone's interested to see what is included I could take pictures of mine, but the contents may differ a little from those bought a la carte as mine was part of my pledge package.

Its important to remember that many of Bundles (and certain items that were originally only available in said bundles, but are now available a la carte) are expiring soon, with the Viking and Kobold style items (listed on the link above) expiring on Nov 30th - so make sure you lock in what you desire now! This weekend is a great time for those interested in supporting the title to pick up items of interest at a deep discount, qualify for and bolster the Livestream goal unlocks, and more.

So take a little time through Cyber Monday to check out SOTA and afterward, don't forget about Star Citizen's Fly Free and in-game event going on all week too!

Any questions or interest in getting started, just let me know!

Is there some trick to play the trial? I downloaded it, but I can't login. Login works fine on the site.

I don't think there is a trial anymore. You can download and play the full version on Steam.
Episode 2 will likely be released next year and will not be free at first.

Is there some trick to play the trial? I downloaded it, but I can't login. Login works fine on the site.

Indeed it is as Gabriel said; Episode 1 (aka the current game, until the first paid expansion Ep 2 ) no longer has a cost.

So you can log in on the site? When you go to your Account , check out the "GameClient / Steam" tab. There you can find direct downloads of the client for Win/Mac/Linux for those who prefer to use a direct to play version. Is there an option to bind you account to a Steam account? I did mine so long ago I'm not sure if they updated things, but it used to be that those with SOTA accounts could basically authorize access through Steam even when it was a paid title. I am not sure if this is necessary any longer in order to use a SOTA website account to log in on Steam.

Now that Ep1 is Free, you can just go on Steam and download the game. When you launch the client, the game will allow you to log in via your Username/Pass from your SOTA account and/or to just login through Steam - the latter being for those who do not have a SOTA web account as of yet I don't think.

Check that your SOTA web Account > Game Client / Steam tab has something like "Your Steam Access Key has been successfully redeemed. Enjoy playing SotA on Steam!This SotA account is associated with the following Steam account: " Does something like this show up for you? I honestly am unsure if the protocol has been updated since I did mine which was quite a long time ago, but in my case it shows my Steam display name and I have no problem logging in to the client through Steam, using my SOTA account/pass.

See if this works and if not we can figure things out

Edit: Don't forget to check out the - https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/playerguide - it will refer to an extensive document hosted on Google docs and updated every Release build.

Edit: Part of the guide that may be relevant, discussing what I described above...

"

If you already have a SotA account and have purchased a pledge, you do not need to buy the game again to play it through Steam. You may attach your existing SotA account and pledge to a Steam account, adding SotA to your Steam Library and allowing you to download and play the game through Steam.

To connect your SotA and Steam accounts, go to https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/, and click on the “Login” button.

After you enter your username and password, go to your “Account” page (via the link in the upper right corner of the screen) and scroll down to the “Game Client Download” section. The “Play SotA through Steam” heading will allow you to attach your SotA account to your Steam account.

If you are already logged into Steam on the computer in question you may choose the “Sign in through Steam” option while logging into the SotA website. This will also allow you to connect your SotA and Steam accounts.

"

More updates! There's another stream going on at the moment, the very last one before Xmas! There are tons of in-game Holiday events too (Krampus!) including player-organized events of amazing scale - dances, markets, restaurants, tournaments...and more!

Edit: Today, 12/21 is the LAST day for buying the Shogun, Elven, or Obsidian bundles ...as well as the items that are inside of them! This can be things like certain pets including the Shiba Inu dog pet, Ornate Elven Wardrobe, and much more... so check these out and buy them today before 11;59 PM. They're even on 50% discount or better!

Hmm I wonder if anyone here still plays? And if anyone doesn't and has a NON-TAXED house deed I will gladly take it, as I am thinking of getting back into it but hate paying taxes for property :)

Hmm I wonder if anyone here still plays? And if anyone doesn't and has a NON-TAXED house deed I will gladly take it, as I am thinking of getting back into it but hate paying taxes for property :)

I still play and the game is still doing well. There have been many changes since the early days of the thread, but overall there's a lot of neat progress, revamps and updates for many game systems, and new stuff preparing for the expansion (which has been delayed thanks to COVID19 a bit, but still moving in the right direction). I don't know if I have any extra deeds, but what do you have already?

If you have any pledge deeds, you may be able to upgrade them as far as placement, location, or (soon) episode. If you have deeds that have been purchased or unlocked by playing the game this may be different - but I'm not sure exactly what the tax status is on those acquired in game. That is to say, I know that finishing a significant amount of EP1 "main" quest lines to a point did, at least for awhile, grant you a Row Lot Deed, limited to placement on Land (as opposed to waterfront) lots on certain towns/locations . Not sure if these were taxable or not, or if it was up to which particular location (ie the taxes could differ depending on the rules set up by a player-owned-town etc) .

Also, unless I'm mistaken , even "taxable" deeds are payable using conventional in-game gold. The taxes are meant to be an upkeep fee to keep lots from going claimed and unused, not to be a major barrier to access. Taxes vary depending on deed type and particular lot claimed in an area, but they can be paid with standard game gold or a very small amount of the premium COTO currency (which is available both for purchase and aquisition in game through play at reasonable amounts - one of the only things that makes SOTA's monetization relatively reasonable). So if you're worried about the taxes on a practical level it may not be so bad, but if its just more a philosophical and/or game mechanic level, you may have to pick up one of the "pledge" deeds from early backers which are guarantee to be tax/fee free, but they're relatively rare for this reason. On top of that, many of the top tier ones are able to be placed on A) Waterfront lots, which are treated differently by the deed/ownership system. They allow the placement of both standard land-based housing types and items, but also allow for water-specific structures aand B) are unrestricted deeds. Some of the more accessible or cheaper deeds are limited to lots in Player Owned Towns or certain areas. Unrestricted deeds by contrast can be used to claim lots in official major cities which as one would suggest, are a bit more limited.

I'll have to look into it more deeply, but as we move toward the Chapter 2 expansion its likely there will be new deeds of all kinds issued thanks to the new landmass. I know recently they just started offering the purchase of Player Owned Towns again, to be created and situated in the expansion areas. Of course, these are not particularly cheap in real money and are more geared toward cooperative purchase (ie typically its a guild or player group purchase, though occasionally there are some big spending individual players who wish to purchase one on their own), but its rather understandable considering you're basically commissioning the devs to build something more or less to your specifications in game and public accessible. I imagine a large influx of new housing opportunities, including those potentially without taxes/fees.

Oh and one last thing - there are certain players who have the ability to either half or completely nullify housing expenses. There may be others, but those with nobility/peerage titles I know can use this power; the item that grants it can (I think) only be used either once per person per month, or once per month entirely. Just another avenue to cut down on potential housing expenses in the event you cannot find a tax-free deed of the type you wish.

Last edited:
Thanks for the explanation. I completed the main quest when it left early access in 2018, so I have a POT row and village lot, as well as a regular village lot I won from a raffle, and a POT waterfront tower lot I purchased and used as my home for close to a year. Unfortunately all of those are taxable deeds, and I wasn't adventuring enough to make the gold for it. The reason I was thinking of coming back is for the episode 2 content and story. Any idea how much gold I would need to make my POT row lot non-taxable, if that is even possible?

Back