2x Dell 1704FPT
Radeon 6870 driving all 3 monitors on my hackintosh
Leopold FC200RR/AB Keyboard (MX Red) / Apple Trackpad

$work

iMac 27"
2x Dell 2208WFP
Leopold FC200RL/AB Keyboard (MX Black) / Apple Trackpad

Last edited:
What size is the primary and secondary monitors? Models would be appreciated. I'm possibly looking to do something similar.

PLP, 20", 30", 20". Dell 2007 models, not sure the exact numbers. Probably the most talked about display setup style in this thread. :p

I keep seeing PLP setups around here and am wondering if you guys get screen tearing when scrolling on the monitors set in portrait mode.

I wanted to use my side monitors (Dell U2412m) in portrait mode but the screen tearing is unbearable. Is there a way to fix this? All monitors are connected to a GTX680.

I keep seeing PLP setups around here and am wondering if you guys get screen tearing when scrolling on the monitors set in portrait mode.

I wanted to use my side monitors (Dell U2412m) in portrait mode but the screen tearing is unbearable. Is there a way to fix this? All monitors are connected to a GTX680.

I've never experienced any tearing issues on my setup. Running a 7970 for what it's worth and prior to that 5870s.

Screen tearing on desktop? Do you have windows aero disabled?

I have U3011 flanked with two 2007fp in a PLP setup all hooked to a gtx 680 and have no such tearing

Enabling it should get rid of the tearing, went through the same thing with my u2412m monitors in portrait.

What size is the primary and secondary monitors? Models would be appreciated. I'm possibly looking to do something similar.

The sides are Dell 2007FP 20" 1600x1200. That also is the most used side monitor in 20-30-20 PLP. The 2nd most used would be the HP LP2065 I guess.

!!! Do not buy the 2007WFP; it's 1680x1050 and doesn't match up !!!!

Yes I do with my 20-30-20 PLP setup. However, I have it connected to two cards (GTX570 / 7900GTX) with both 20's on the 7900GTX. Luckily no tearing at all on the main (30") screen. I was kinda angry that I bought my GTX570 just a few months too early; then came the 6 serie with triple outputs :mad:

Those with PLP, are you able to play games in eyefinity/surround with that setup?

While neither Nvidia or AMD support PLP natively, there are software workarounds that people have been using to game on these setups.

I mean . . . triple monitors lose half their value if you can't game on them.

Been a long time lurker,always enjoy these threads....So I decided to post up my setup... Nothing spectacular.

off1.jpg

off2.jpg

Your room looks strangely brown/black/white. Your desktop looks like you just stopped caring and went with rainbows and dots!

I respectfully, and wholeheartedly, disagree.

I don't - having all that unusable real estate bugged me so much I got rid of my LLL/PLP setup and replaced it with 4 20" monitors across the top and 3 30" monitors across the bottom, all in landscape mode.

You had six monitors, didn't like unusable screen real estate, so you switched to a seven monitor setup?

In my opinion, three monitors are great. Not only for gaming but also for work. I run google talk, teamspeak, and system monitor programs on my side monitors while I game on my 30.

Your room looks strangely brown/black/white. Your desktop looks like you just stopped caring and went with rainbows and dots!
LOL... I didnt stop caring... :), I was trying different backgrounds and this one ended up there for a few days, I am back to brown/grey wood background now :).

I like the paint!
Thanks, it took a while to find that colour, I always tend to lean towards the more historic earthy pallete for paints.

that's a nice frame... "Keep Calm just Google It".... :D
Ya... I saw one online somewhere once in a pic and I decided I had to have it and made it for myself.

Lol. Multiple monitors are great in my opinion. I keep a few 19" 1440x900's between my 27" monitors just for extra sidebar space. If game's used multiple gpu's in windowed mode fully so that you could do windowed+maximized in every game and still get dual gpu power, it would be an even better setup.
I have 27" 2560x1440 glossy ips, 19" 900x1440 , 27" 120hz samsung 750D glossy TN, 19" 900x1440. I have a fw900 to the right of that. :)
I do desktop/app stuff , rolling my chair to the left wing's 27" 2560x1440 which has a ms ergo 4k and a logitech thumb trackball in front of it. It has a 19" alongside
I use the middle or right sides for gaming, usually the middle. It has a g19 keyboard, g13 gameboard (don't really need the keyboard with the g13 used), and a g9x mouse or a naga mouse depending what kind of game I'm playing.
The 1440 x 900's are set back a bit on monitor arms so that they are "shrunk" to my persepective and match the 27" monitor's better. They are also angled slightly. Big corner desk with long side "wings", sortof boomerang or stealth-bomber like.

Left wing: 27" ACD
in between: some 19" asus TN for $110
middle/center: 120hz samsung 27" 1080p
in between: another of the 19" asus TN $110
right wing: FW900

I'm hoping to get a gtx 780 in a few months(whenever they come out march-june) with whatever is left of my tax return.
I'm also hoping to get a 1ms backlight strobing Lightboost2 monitor, and sell the 120hz TN. I'll also hopefully retire the fw900 since 1ms lightboost2 synchronized backlight strobing in 2d gaming results in zero motion blur like a crt.

ASUS/BENQ LightBoost owners!! Zero motion blur setting!

The BlurBusters.com Blog

LightBoost HOWTO.

high-speed YouTube video of LCD successfully bypassing pixel persistence as motion blur barrier.

The one they originally tested was a 2ms backlight, and it had crt like lack of blur , but it had a single afterimage shadow. The 1ms ones are full clarity.

It basically works by flashing the backlight for 1ms during each frame.
The flash takes a "snapshot" of the perfectly rendered part of the frame in a way. Conversely, the frametime before and after the flash , during the pixel transition/pixel persistence, is blacked out. This blacked out part is not a problem at 100hz & 100fps+ , or 120hz & 120fps+, and results in zero motion blur during FoV movement.. the bane of LCD gaming imo.

Frame times are 10ms at 100hz&100fps+ , 8.3ms at 120hz&120fps+ , (and outside of LB2 mode 144hz is 6.94ms at 144hz&144fps+).

|----<blacked out part of frame>----------<1 ms> FLASH!-----------<blacked out part of frame>------|

Last edited:
You had six monitors, didn't like unusable screen real estate, so you switched to a seven monitor setup?

In my opinion, three monitors are great. Not only for gaming but also for work. I run google talk, teamspeak, and system monitor programs on my side monitors while I game on my 30.

Yep, because in the 7 monitor setup they are all landscape I can use Eyefinity on the 3 30" instead of the single 30" in PLP. The upper monitors are good for system monitoring tools (especially temperature as I overclock and have very hot GPUs), instant messaging, etc. In my old rig I had only 4 of the 13 megapixels available were usable in games (31%), with the new one it is 12 out of 19 megapixels (63%) and is far more immersive.

i am sorry but having 7 monitors is unnecessary for 99.99999% of the people are you are not the .00001%. I mean, have it if you want it but deosnt make it less useless and pointless. Monitoring tools and IM should take half a screen at most.

i am sorry but having 7 monitors is unnecessary for 99.99999% of the people are you are not the .00001%. I mean, have it if you want it but deosnt make it less useless and pointless. Monitoring tools and IM should take half a screen at most.

I've kept two monitors for a long time. Longest use was a LCD and a FW900 crt. There are so many tradeoffs between desktop/app/imagery geared monitors and gaming monitors that its always been worth it to have one more or less dedicated to each. I still do that more or less, I just added a few ~ $100 19" 'sidebar monitors in portrait mode on monoprice arms in between them now, and its graduated to a 2560x1440 ips + a 120hz TN. Hoping to upgrade the 120hz tn to a Lighboost2 monitor for zero LCD blur gaming later this year ( + a gtx 780)

Back