Show Your LCD(s) setups!!!

Bratman

Weaksauce
All I need for my display.

500 bucks on black friday got a 46 inch 120 hz 1080p tv.. Insignia.

Cheap on the wallet and friends love it.
allineedt.jpg

Bet it's great for movies and games but I wouldn't like to use it as a monitor.

rtangwai

[H]ard|Gawd
Thank you , I enjoyed your setup. How do you game, do you switch to only using the 30' monitor for gaming purposes? Or do you eyefinity the bottom 3? Kinda confused how you do that, I'm guessing its something that you change in the eyefinity software though and activate the other card for crossfire?

Eyefinity currently doesn't support PLP. I could in theory set up Eyefinity on the upper three monitors but I'd get a pretty sore neck. I just game on the 30" as it is set up as the primary monitor. The reason I built this particular setup (I have had 6 monitor setups since 2006) is that in the regular balanced setup if I don't want or cannot use Eyefinity I am gaming on only 1/6th of the total screen space (17%), whereas with the asymetrical balance of my current layout I can game without Eyefinity on about 30% of my total screen space. I'd still kill for Eyefinity PLP support but it is a reasonable compromise right now and from experiments I have performed on the 7th monitor I am not sure I would *WANT* to Eyefinity everything as I wouldn't be able to see it all at once without backing up quite a few feet away. No doubt you are asking "what 7th monitor?":

5941109179_b8d70a0d80_z.jpg

To put things in perspective, that TV is 46". I never play any games on it because I can't see the corners - if I back up too much it pretty much eliminates the need for such a large monitor in the first place.

Nash87

n00b
The dual/triple monitor setups are OK but i dont understand how people enjoy those things because I can't really feel comfortable with the gaps inbetween the monitors...it's pretty obvious and doesn't blend the picture through the 3 monitors very well imo. Kind of like a blind spot in 3 different places. I'd rather do one large display.

elvn

Supreme [H]ardness
The dual/triple monitor setups are OK but i dont understand how people enjoy those things because I can't really feel comfortable with the gaps inbetween the monitors...it's pretty obvious and doesn't blend the picture through the 3 monitors very well imo. Kind of like a blind spot in 3 different places. I'd rather do one large display.
One display for gaming is fine.. and in respect to pixel smearing on fast motion (especially moving your FoV ) - I use a 27" 120hz 2m response time TN with high/very-high overdrive (ResponseTimeCompensation) which appreciably reduces blur and size-wise fills most of my focal viewpoint at 2' - 2.5' away from me. I also sometimes use a FW900 (22.5" viewable) graphics professional CRT which though smaller, has no blur/smear like lcds have.
However I do see the benefit of using landscape eyefinity, as it fills more of your room with the game world in a "VR-ish" fashion. The sides when at a proper distance for this type of thing, are mostly peripheral for immersion - game world filled "blinders" , tricking your brain into making you feel like you are more in the scene. The bezels can be overlapped to make them only 1 bezel thick, and on many led backlit monitors the bezels are fairly slim by comparison. The side monitors themselves in this scenario are in your periphery for the most part. Your central , focal gaze is mostly on the center, bar-free screen, and all game scene elements remain a more appropriate size. Also, when a game supports it properly, all HUDs, notifications, pointers, chat, etc remain on the central screen within your focal viewpoint.
.... This differs greatly from multi monitor gaming setups where the entire array essentially makes one giant (oversized-for-at-a-desk) monitor, with its extents (edges and most hud, nofications, pointers, maps, etc) pushed into your periphery and all objects becoming "jumbo" sized, with bezels central inside of you main/focal gaze.
http://www.web-cyb.org/images/lcds/eyefinity_config-aspects-visualized_sm.jpg
Outside of gaming, tiled monitor arrays of most sorts are great imo. Utilized fully, a background image is rarely seen anyway. In regard to "one large display" there are limits as well. Most single displays much over 27" - 30" are too large for at a desk imo... I find them literally eye bending into the periphery on full screen content. TV's size vs focal gaze limits at desk distances, extremely poor ppi at desk distances, as well as things like input lag, etc make them out of the question for me.

Last edited:

DJ_007

Limp Gawd
well it may not be much but i changed my stuff around... to the left is my gaming/ general computer and the the right is my new mac mini "cheapest one" upgraded to 8 gig of ram.. and my HP DV6 laptop

DSCN0177.jpg

DSCN0178.jpg

DSCN0179.jpg

lillimon04

2[H]4U
May I ask how did you mount your LCDs to the Samsung stand? I also have Samsung stand from my LCD tv sitting in my closet. Would be great to use it.
That's actually a special stand, it comes as a package with the 3 monitors. Its like 1500 bucks I thing.:eek:

Eshelmen

Supreme [H]ardness
well it may not be much but i changed my stuff around... to the left is my gaming/ general computer and the the right is my new mac mini "cheapest one" upgraded to 8 gig of ram.. and my HP DV6 laptop

DSCN0177.jpg

DSCN02178.jpg

DSCN10179.jpg
Gotta ask..

Why the old school keyboard?

Great set up regardless.

XiP

Limp Gawd
uou11.jpg

Reorganized my desk and finally got my Viewsonic vp2290b working in Windows 7 span mode so I ditched my other two 30" lcds.
2560x1600 res (left) + 3840x2400 res (right) :D:D:D

Stuff from left to right:
Audioengine A5 speakers
Sony Xperia S cell
NEC PA301W 30" lcd
Corsair K90 keyboard (cherry red switches my new favorite)
Logitech G500 mouse
APC BR1500G UPS
Viewsonic VP2290b lcd
Filco Majestouch tenkeyless cherry brown
Lenovo Thinkpad X220

Bomo

Gawd
http://i.imgur.com/uou11.jpg

Reorganized my desk and finally got my Viewsonic vp2290b working in Windows 7 span mode so I ditched my other two 30" lcds.

Audioengine A5 speakers
Sony Xperia S cell
NEC PA301W 30" lcd
Logitech G500 mouse
APC BR1500G UPS
Viewsonic VP2290b lcd
Lenovo Thinkpad X220

I have always wanted a vp2290b to toy with but I am not much more than a hobbist photoeditor/photoshop dude.. What do you use it for

Lancid

Limp Gawd
Here's my setup:

I'm currently h4x0ring. :D
[...]

Hacking google canada? or just seeing how your isp routes you

What vm is that on the right monitor? It looks like top is monitoring windows. Unless you're folding in the vm?

And I like the switches on your desk. What do they do?

cerwinvega

Limp Gawd
I love that your name is cerwinvega, but you have 3 :eek: Polk audio subs stacked on each other in the picture.

Yeah well...8 years ago I didn't own any Polks :p

They look like PSW505's. What exact do you need 3 of them for anyway? :confused:

Those are actually PSW10s, so...yeah... 3 of them are maybe equivalent to 1 decent budget sub. They do well enough with music, I guess, but, that's about it, they are pretty bad at everything else.

2 of them originally were out with the HTPC, but then I picked up the H-100s for out there and the Polks moved in here, where they will probably stay since they aren't worth the effort to sell.

In any case, what does need have to do with anything we ever discuss [H]ere ? :D

XiP

Limp Gawd
I have always wanted a vp2290b to toy with but I am not much more than a hobbist photoeditor/photoshop dude.. What do you use it for

I use it for work/coding, right now it's running at 13hz so it's pretty much useless for anything moving :p

I like your taste in displays!

I love NEC displays, been a fan of theirs ever since I got my first NEC XV17 crt over 10 years ago.

e2g

Limp Gawd
Yeah well...8 years ago I didn't own any Polks :p

Those are actually PSW10s, so...yeah... 3 of them are maybe equivalent to 1 decent budget sub. They do well enough with music, I guess, but, that's about it, they are pretty bad at everything else.

2 of them originally were out with the HTPC, but then I picked up the H-100s for out there and the Polks moved in here, where they will probably stay since they aren't worth the effort to sell.

In any case, what does need have to do with anything we ever discuss [H]ere ? :D

With that many subs, I guess you can eliminate the bass nulls in the room (provided that it's not a large room) ;)

morfinx

[H]ard|Gawd
Why HP + 2 LG's. Why not Dell? How are the dot pitch across those monitors?

The LGs were cheap because they were refurbs, at $80 each. But it's a crap shoot when it comes to quality. One of them is good (although a bit dim), but I've now RMAed the other one twice now. By the the time I sent the 2nd replacement back, they ran out of stock. So now I'm most likely going to pick up a 2007FP instead.

Upgraded from 3x22 in landscape to 3x24 in portrait and OMG! I thought the bezels would suck but once you go portrait you can never go back, so immersive

AndreRio

[H]ard|Gawd
uou11.jpg

Audioengine A5 speakers
Sony Xperia S cell
NEC PA301W 30" lcd
Logitech G500 mouse
APC BR1500G UPS
Viewsonic VP2290b lcd
Lenovo Thinkpad X220

so rare nec monitor! cool!!!

Zepher

[H]ipster Replacement
desk-before-paint.jpg

Smoke is bad, haven't smoked in the room in a couple years now.

Painted the room
room-2012-1.jpg