Show off your best pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was out in the backyard trying to capture images of birds. Had a tough luck finding them though and instead I took a few pics of this! :)

moth9uc.jpg

JessAlba452 said:
I was out in the backyard trying to capture images of birds. Had a tough luck finding them though and instead I took a few pics of this! :)

Very cool shot of the pink freaky moth thing!

LoL thanks, seriously though I've never seen a colorful moth before! I thought it was a mini butterfly at first.

JessAlba452 said:
LoL thanks, seriously though I've never seen a colorful moth before! I thought it was a mini butterfly at first.
Your first instinct was correct! The main anatomical feature that distinguishes butterflies from moths is the antennae. Moths will usually have feathery antennae like these, though sometimes the feathery part is rather subtle. Butterflies, on the other hand, will never (as far as i know) have feathery antennae, and they have little bulges at the tips, just like in your photo.

Another (though less reliable) way to tell the difference is that moths usually perch with their wings flattened out, whereas butterflies will usually keep them vertical, up against each other, like in your photo.

So it is a butterfly! Coolness :D Thanks HorsePunchKid for finding out what kind of butterfly it was. By the way I am a fan of your photography ;)

Wow awesome shot there, nice detail, foxus everything. The colors on that thing is really crazy.

One of my first attempts at photographing lightning. Locations were sparse but this is the best shot out of an hour of shooting.

6688xx7yn.jpg

from your coordinants, do you live in Garland Texas, near 1st Street and Miller Road? If not, Streets and Trips is a piece of lying crap :p

Bugalaman said:
from your coordinants, do you live in Garland Texas, near 1st Street and Miller Road? If not, Streets and Trips is a piece of lying crap :p

Yup that's where I would be.

jayjaya29 said:
Wow awesome shot, did it take a lot of pictures to finally get one with lightning in it?

Yes... using time exposures is kind of tricky. The longer you hold the shutter open the more light you get, obivously. But I think it is amazing how much light you can get from an almost pitch black area, if you hold the shutter open long enough.

Wow, that lightning shot really encouraged me to try one next time I have far off lightning. I can't get a good shot around here with all the trees but at least I could try.

The moth shot is really nice too.

I like the long exposure picture of the flag and the last picture with the sunset. Nice work

DC is a kool place to visit..

i used a canon a60 so the exposure was probably 15sec.. might have been 13.. and the last picture is the bahamas in case anyone is wondering why it doesn't look quite like DC

A couple of random photos here, since I haven't had much time to do any serious photography lately...

DSCF9998_more_fire_sm.jpg

DSCF0031_bottle_caps_sm.jpg

chrisf6969 - Some nice clean shots...

I need to get a good macro lens for my digital rebel and I think i'll start taking some shots like those.

l337zax said:
I need to get a good macro lens for my digital rebel and I think i'll start taking some shots like those.
You know you want it... ;)

I've probably mentioned the Sigma 50mm f/2.8 macro lens about a dozen times here, and I've posted a lot of shots from that lens in this thread (like these two). I think the majority of my best shots were taken with it. For $250, it's a great deal!

Nice shots you 2. Horsepunckid, how'd you get a fire pic like that? Its pretty neat if you ask me.

jayjaya29 said:
Horsepunckid, how'd you get a fire pic like that? Its pretty neat if you ask me.
Thanks. :) I got the picture by sitting inside a building while it burned. More or less, anyway. :D A bunch of photos from the project are available here (I've posted some before). These couple of pictures should give you an idea of what the "burning building" is like.

I not serious about photography nor have I taken any classes. I just had to share this pic I took in Costa Rica.

That's a really nice wide shot, Rabid Yellow Dog. :)

Here's a picture I took last week.

lizard.jpg

I love the lizard's face.

Wow, all really awesome shots.

Ikari, how'd you have access to the top of that building to get a shot of the area down below?

I dragged up this shot I took almost 2 years ago and did some post-editing. Cheers

fifty.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back